Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-28-2020, 11:24 PM   #1
31Abone

Default Noisy u-jont installed by novice ,30 coupe

Have noisy coming from trans area.kind of a thumping sound and also whines in 2nd gear but does not kick out 2 nd gear going down hill as one would think of loose trans bearings...I suspect u-joint bolt is missing or other ? what is best method to inspect u-joint ?? thinking of dropping rear axle and pulling it back is that correct ??..what happens if bolt is not install on u-joint ?? tnx much
31Abone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:13 AM   #2
Mulletwagon

Default Re: Noisy u-jont installed by novice ,30 coupe

Yep, must pull rear axle to get to the U Joint. Whinning second gear is pretty normal, but a thumping indicates something serious - like a missing gear tooth or object stuck between gear teeth. Once the rear axle is pulled, it is not that much more work to drop the trans and go through it. Rebuilding the trans is not difficult and all the necessary parts are readily available. Would recommend changing all the bearings and countershafts (get countershafts with O rings). If the U joint is worn spend some time finding a quality replacement - inspect before buying if possible. Let us know how it goes.
Mulletwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:42 AM   #3
Bob Bidonde

The original u-joint in the Model "A" is not rebuildable, and if you have one in your car, it is likely wornout! The u-joint of choice is the one in the 2nd photo, and it is rebuildable. The 3rd picture is of the rebuild kit for the joint in the 2nd photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg U-Joint Early Design (1).jpg (106.8 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg U-Joint (1).jpg (92.2 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg U-Joint rebuild Parts.jpg (12.9 KB, 34 views)
Old 06-29-2020, 09:21 AM   #4
rotorwrench

When troubleshooting a problem, I like to start with the easiest thing first. I'd take the trans shift tower off and have a look in there first. Move gears through to check each one for problems. If it all looks OK, that's the time to support the car, disconnect the whole rear drive system from the frame & components, then pull it back to inspect the U-joint. There is only one bolt that holds the U-joint to the main shaft coming out of the transmission. It should have a lock washer along with the large washer on that bolt. If properly torqued, they seldom come loose but never say never. Stuff like this can happen. I would wonder what lube was used for the U-joint. Some lubes work and some don't work well.

As was mentioned, there are the OEM bushing type U-joints and there are Lincoln type needle bearing joints. I'd stay with the bushing type if at all possible. They are more reliable, believe it or not.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:48 AM   #5
31Abone

Thanks good info..trans gears are not chipped but rear bearing may be bad..noise is not a clack clack sound but a low ruble thudding sound ..my experience says its a worn out u-joint or no bolt holding tight to main shaft..I will take it apart and let folks know so it night help the next fellow..sc
Old 06-29-2020, 11:18 AM   #6
old31

Bob, do you have any recommendations for the purchase of the rebuildable u-joint?
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 12:26 PM   #7
ryanheacox

Quote:
Originally Posted by old31 View Post
Bob, do you have any recommendations for the purchase of the rebuildable u-joint?

Not Bob but when I tried to order a rebuild kit last year from Bert's Steve told me that the kits were junk and would only last a few hundred miles. I got a good used original from him (spicer type) and it looked brand new. Got it installed and packed with grease and haven't looked back.
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 01:12 PM   #8
Bob Bidonde

I notice that Bratton's and Synder's do not have the modern Spicer type u-joint. Snyder's catalog indicates the Spicer u-joint has been discontinued. The alternative is to get lucky and find a good used Spice u-joint or to rebuild a used one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg U-Joint (1).jpg (92.2 KB, 6 views)
Old 06-29-2020, 01:18 PM   #9
Bob Bidonde

I notice that Bratton's and Synder's do not have the modern Spicer type u-joint. Snyder's catalog indicates the Spicer u-joint has been temporarily discontinued. The alternative is to get lucky and find a good used Spice u-joint.

The Spicer rebuild kit on the u-joint in my Victoria was purchased in 2016, and so far has been trouble for about 3000 miles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg U-Joint (1).jpg (92.2 KB, 10 views)
Old 06-29-2020, 02:06 PM   #10
Patrick L.

Its been awhile, but, I think the clam shell can be removed and U-joint can be looked at. Any rotational 'slop' and it needs replacement requiring the rear end to come out.. I too recommend finding a NOS or good used one.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 01:19 AM   #11
31Abone

here is the scoop on so called u-joint noise..rear wheel lug nuts were loose and broken on left side ...see my other post about ODD REAR BRAKE DRUM...noise was telegraphing thru drive line to back of trans... sure sounded like it was at the u-joint...Here I was bitching at the novice and I was the novice for not checking lug nuts before damage occurred..check wheels lugs when a new project rolls in....took top off trans and all looked good took a pry bar and could not find any looseness in main shaft or joint...no you can not see u-joint with clam shell off..took it up to 50 mph today quiet as a new rolls royce..tnx all
Old 07-03-2020, 06:56 AM   #12
kenparker

Follow up on 31Abone's comment. You can not see the Ujoint by pulling /removing the clamshells. The Inner Cup is still in there blocking view of the ujoint.

I pulled my rear end out of woody yesterday and am inspecting for a clicking noise in the rear end. Very loud clicking concentrated in the banjo, determined with stethoscope. Hoping is is nothing more than too much backlash. Will disassemble rear end today.
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote