Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-21-2012, 08:58 PM   #21
jkcrosson

Default Re: Head Light Reflectors made from Ford Print

Anyone have an update on these new reflectors. I checked Brattons website but saw nothing listed. If no one has an update, I'll call tomorrow.
Thanks
jkcrosson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:00 AM   #22
jkcrosson

According to Brattons, the final design has been approved but no delivery date as of yet.
jkcrosson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:12 PM   #23
Pat Martone

Bratton's told me earlier this week that it might be a few more months before they get their first batch of new reflectors from overseas. So it seems the availability date keeps slipping.
Pat Martone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:37 AM   #24
bogiediver

Haven't seen anything on this since the previous post in Jun...

Sent Bratton's an email to try and get an update.

Perhaps jak can provide an update...?
Old 10-17-2012, 01:50 PM   #25
TudooR31

I bought the imported, too shallow reflectors this summer. They needed lots of filing in the side notches, reaming out the center socket fitting, buying a longer spring & screw so I could get them to focus somewhat better. Running the 32-50 bulbs. Not real bright but is a big improvement from the old tarnished ones.
One question. When they are optimally focused, will the image of the bulb fill the entire reflector surface with lens removed?
TudooR31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:52 AM   #26
bogiediver

Got an update from Bratton's Wed:

"The samples were approved. Stock due late March 2013. "

Maybe there is some hope...
Old 12-14-2012, 11:46 AM   #27
Purdy Swoft

I bought a set of the aluminized reflectors a few years ago, they give off lots of light but can't be focused. I paid way more for the aluminized reflectors than the Chrome reflectors that Snyders handles. I am very disapointed with the aluminized reflectors. I feel that the seller of the aluminized reflectors had to know that the reflectors were i'll made in the first place.

Last edited by Purdy Swoft; 12-14-2012 at 11:43 PM.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:06 PM   #28
bogiediver

This vendor is trying to do right...

The reason the previous repro aluminized reflectors, and chrome reflectors for that matter, don't work well is exactly as you say - because they can't be focused.

Why can't they be focused - because they are the wrong overall shape as shown on Marco's site where the repro reflector profile is superimposed on an original reflector profile. http://www.abarnyard.com/workshop/lamp_focus-2.htm

This new offering was made according to the original Ford print - so, in theory, should be the correct profile to allow proper focusing... subject to the sockets, connectors, etc. fitting correctly of course.

One step in the process was that Brattons refused the first samples because the manufacturer had the rest right, but had the socket opening centered in the reflector, when the print called for it to be offset by 1/16". So it seems they were doing their best to verify it was made correctly.

Giving them the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise. I would like to drive more at night - or at least not worry about it if getting caught out later than planned.

All JMHO
Old 12-14-2012, 12:18 PM   #29
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
I bought a set of the aluminized reflectors a few years ago, they give off lots of light but can't be focused. I paid way more for the aluminized reflectors than the Chrome reflectors that Snyders handles. I am very disapointed with the aluminized reflectors. I feel that the seller of the aluminized reflectors had to know that the reflectors were i'll made in the first place.

If correct reflectors are ever actually offered by this vendor, has anybody ever wondered what will become of the bad reflectors?????? The bad parts will be put off on somebody even if they do have good ones . After being duped with gyp parts so many times, ALL trust fades away. We don't drive the model A's much at night anyway. Next time I will save some money and disapointment and buy the Chromed reflectors from Snyders .
I don't have the exact numbers in front of me but the problem with chrome is that it reflects less light than silver. I will be replacing or aluminum plating my original reflectors and watch this topic with a great deal of interest.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:25 PM   #30
BrianBurkert

Just imagine where we'd be if these companies didn't make the parts. Most of them are pretty honest if a part doesn't fit or work 100%, even noting it in the catalog. I have to say I'm satisfied with most of the parts I get from Bratton's and Snyder's-- and I'm sure there are other good vendors out there. I'm glad Bratton's is making the effort on these reflectors.
BrianBurkert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:33 PM   #31
Purdy Swoft

The strange part is that it has took them so many years to admit that the reflectors were JUNK and try to correct the problem.

My thought is that they should have personally tested the reflectors before offering them in the first place. Who would sell products that they hadn't tested and knew about??? The aluminized reflectors were highly touted and a lot of people spent money for a part that was claimed to function better than the chromed reflectors that had been on the market. Selling gyp parts doesn't help the people that have model A's.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:55 PM   #32
J Franklin

Remember that your supplier can only sell you what is available. Chrome reflectors produce less reflected light than silver or aluminized ones. Remember the phrase Caveat emptor?
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:56 PM   #33
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
The strange part is that it has took them so many years to admit that the reflectors were JUNK and try to correct the problem.

My thought is that they should have personally tested the reflectors before offering them in the first place. Who would sell products that they hadn't tested and knew about??? The aluminized reflectors were highly touted and a lot of people spent money for a part that was claimed to function better than the chromed reflectors that had been on the market. Selling gyp parts doesn't help the people that have model A's.
What makes you think the vendors knew? The majority of vendors are simply resellers and certainly not engineering types. How many folks do you think actually know and understand what a parabola is? Not many. Over the years (decades) I've known very few folks that ever even attempted to focus their headlamps until I did my write-up ten years ago.

Yep, I'd like a perfect world too but the reality is we are surrounded by ordinary people.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:17 PM   #34
beast_3

What is the depth (height?) of original vs. repro reflectors? I see on Marco's headlight page the photo showing the differences but how can I tell if mine are repro or original?

Thanks!
Bob
beast_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:27 PM   #35
bogiediver

Maybe this will help...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Headlamp Reflector.jpg (66.6 KB, 82 views)
Old 12-14-2012, 03:36 PM   #36
Purdy Swoft

I would think that a reputable vendor would test a new product to see how it functioned before selling it, perfect world or not, I would. A person doesn't need to be an engineer or know anything about a parabola to see that the headlamps can't be focused, its just common sense. I never had a problem focusing the headlamps on my model A's with the other reflectors that have been offered for years. As much bad that has been said about Ricks, I used all Ricks parts in the headlamps on our coupe and run them from the early seventies into the eighties. I never had a problem with focusing with Ricks reflectors or his sockets or plugs . I expect a large vender like Brattons to test and be familiar with the parts that they sell.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:55 PM   #37
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Franklin View Post
Remember that your supplier can only sell you what is available. Chrome reflectors produce less reflected light than silver or aluminized ones. Remember the phrase Caveat emptor?
I am well aware that Chrome doesn't reflect as well as silver. The fact is the aluminized reflectors are incorrectly shaped and the sockets are off. The Chrome reflectors that I have used in the past, while not as bright as silver plated originals, could be focused. Ricks reflectors and 50 candle power bulbs could be focused and give better focused light than the incorrectly made aluminized reflectors. Repro reflectors have been available since I've been involved with model A's. Selling poor functioning parts doesn't help anybody except maybe the seller, that is untill the word gets out.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:16 PM   #38
bogiediver

Let's not lose sight that this thread is about NEW - not available before - aluminized reflectors that are made to the CORRECT Ford original reflector print.

Most (of course, not all) agree that aluminized reflectors are nearly as effective as silver plating, while chrome reflectors are in the neighborhood of 70-75% as effective.

Now these NEW reflectors are supposed to be per the Ford print, they should then be able to be properly focused.

So good light reflection and the ability to be focused should lead to good lighting.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:29 PM   #39
Purdy Swoft

I've just got to wonder how many that was bitten by the poorly made aluminized reflectors in the past, will trust that the new ones will be any better.There is a saying about once bitten.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:33 PM   #40
bogiediver

Wow...