Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-09-2015, 09:30 PM   #1
wrndln

Default Pickup narrow bed holes in bed plate

I have a repro steel plate that is used in the center of the narrow bed pickup box. It only has the 6 holes around the flanges and not the two holes in the center. There are suppose to be two holes for rivets that fasten webbing to the underside of the plate to prevent squeaking between the metal plate and the rear frame crossmember. I have a picture of the underside of an original bed I got several years ago. I am hoping someone can measure the hole dimensions on their original pickup bed and post them here on Fordbarn. It appears that the holes are in line with the 2 side flange holes, but they maybe off slightly. I am pasting in a couple pictures of a well used original pickup box showing the webbing and holes in it. Thanks in advance for any help.
Rusty Nelson
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dudley pictures of original pickup bed bottom 1.jpg (68.1 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg Original 28 pu bed-2.jpg (60.1 KB, 73 views)
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 10:48 PM   #2
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

Default Re: Pickup narrow bed holes in bed plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrndln View Post
I have a repro steel plate that is used in the center of the narrow bed pickup box. It only has the 6 holes around the flanges and not the two holes in the center. There are suppose to be two holes for rivets that fasten webbing to the underside of the plate to prevent squeaking between the metal plate and the rear frame crossmember. I have a picture of the underside of an original bed I got several years ago. I am hoping someone can measure the hole dimensions on their original pickup bed and post them here on Fordbarn. It appears that the holes are in line with the 2 side flange holes, but they maybe off slightly. I am pasting in a couple pictures of a well used original pickup box showing the webbing and holes in it. Thanks in advance for any help.
Rusty Nelson
I'm thinking about not installing the plate on Pea Cup and never drive over bumps..

Larry
Old 12-09-2015, 11:35 PM   #3
Russ/40

The two holes in the heavy plate are in line with all the holes, both lateral and longitudinal. Draw those lines and your two holes will be dead on. The two holes on the plate face are 7/32" and all the rest on the rims are 5/16".
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 12:13 AM   #4
wrndln

Russ/40.
I appreciate you posting the hole diameters. The 7/32" holes I believe are for 3/16" oval head split rivets to fasten the webbing to the underside of the plate. Would you mind measuring the distance from the sides and between the 2 holes in the middle of the plate where the rivets go?
Thanks
Rusty Nelson
Old 12-10-2015, 12:19 AM   #5
d.j. moordigian

Rusty,..I'll send the measurement in the morning. djm
d.j. moordigian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 12:42 AM   #6
Dan Partain

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Rusty, if you are using all repro parts I suggest doing it this way.

Drill the rivet holes in your bed strips at a center point between the two carriage bolt holes (if they aren't already pre-drilled). I would then mount the wood, center pan, and stips into the bed for your pre-paint check to make sure everything fits correctly. Get everything to fit properly and then use the holes in the strips to mark and drill the holes in the center bed pan.

I think you will get your most accurate fit that way. Sometimes pre-drilling doesn't work as well with so many different pieces coming together.

I can measure my original center pans tomorrow, but I'm guessing that they were made so they could be placed in the bed either way for ease of assembly. That should put the holes in the center of the pan from front to rear.

-DAN
Dan Partain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 04:47 AM   #7
29closedcab

Does anyone know what the webbing was made of?
29closedcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 09:41 AM   #8
wrndln

When I was looking for webbing to install under the trunk platform on my 28 coupe, I found some brown Army style belts on eBay that looked quite similar to what was originally used. I bought one of the light brown belts on eBay (there are lots of them there), cut it to the correct length - about 10" or so and installed it with oval head split rivets. I believe the webbing is about 1" to 1 1/4" wide. The belt I bought was about the right thickness. Once installed, you can hardly see it, so it doesn't have to be perfect. I bought the longest belt available, so now I have enough left for 4 or 5 more cars! Luckily I had an original trunk platform (in very poor unusable condition) that I could obtain the rivet hole measurements for the new trunk platform. Unfortunately I don't have an original pickup bed plate to get the measurements from.
Rusty Nelson

Last edited by wrndln; 12-10-2015 at 10:23 AM.
Old 12-10-2015, 10:33 AM   #9
d.j. moordigian

Okay Rusty,...this is what I have.

6" center to center between the two split rivet holes..
d.j. moordigian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 10:36 AM   #10
wrndln

Dudley,
Thanks.
Rusty Nelson
Old 12-10-2015, 01:16 PM   #11
BILL WILLIAMSON

Frank mounted a trailer ball on a BIG square magnet & stuck it on that panel, as if he towed a FIFTH WHEEL TRAILER! Model A'ng is great FUN! He had a pic of the truck, backed up under a REAL fifth wheel trailer!
Bill W.
Old 12-10-2015, 05:04 PM   #12
pooch

I am looking for an original style tow jib to sit in the pickup bed with the wind up crank and tow hook, just for fun.

Last edited by pooch; 12-10-2015 at 05:21 PM.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 05:22 PM   #13
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooch View Post
I am looking for an original style tow jib to sit in the pickup bed with the wind up crank and tow hook, just for fun.

I have one of these:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18109R.jpg (22.3 KB, 23 views)
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 08:18 PM   #14
Russ/40

Quote:
Russ/40.
I appreciate you posting the hole diameters. The 7/32" holes I believe are for 3/16" oval head split rivets to fasten the webbing to the underside of the plate. Would you mind measuring the distance from the sides and between the 2 holes in the middle of the plate where the rivets go?
Thanks
Rusty Nelson
The holes are actually 6 1/16" apart. Also 69mm from each side
Isn't your repo plate drilled for the flange holes? That is why I explained it the way I did.
Old 12-10-2015, 08:57 PM   #15
wrndln

Russ/40,
Yes, my repro plate has the six 5/16" mounting holes around the flange, which I assume are correct. What I needed were the dimensions for the rivet holes in the middle that you didn't have in your first response - just the holes diameter. That is why I added my response to your response. I thought I described well what I was look for in the initial post, but maybe it wasn't clear. Dudley posted a response with 6" between the holes and you posted 6 1/16". Between the two dimensions that is close enough for me. The holes have to be centered in the plate, as the plate is symmetrical in the bed. Thanks for posting the "between the holes" dimension.
Rusty Nelson
Old 12-10-2015, 09:33 PM   #16
Russ/40

Quote:
Russ/40,
Yes, my repro plate has the six 5/16" mounting holes around the flange, which I assume are correct. What I needed were the dimensions for the rivet holes in the middle that you didn't have in your first response - just the holes diameter. That is why I added my response to your response. I thought I described well what I was look for in the initial post, but maybe it wasn't clear. Dudley posted a response with 6" between the holes and you posted 6 1/16". Between the two dimensions that is close enough for me. The holes have to be centered in the plate, as the plate is symmetrical in the bed. Thanks for posting the "between the holes" dimension.
Rusty Nelson
Actually you were very clear, I guess my response wasn't. What I was saying, is if you take a side with the two holes and draw a line across the plate to the opposite side two holes, the lines intersect the two rivet holes.