Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-29-2014, 10:09 AM   #1
spinelll

Default Pin Striping

A club member did a real nice pin striping job on two of his cars using this stencil tape:
http://www.finessepinstriping.com/

His stripe is red and it was easy to find a matching color. I need “straw” to match my wheels. My question is, have any of you found off-the-shelf lettering enamel that matches straw?
I know, I know, straw is in the eyes of the beholder but the question still stands.

Thanks
Leo
spinelll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 10:39 AM   #2
kenparker

Default Re: Pin Striping

Most pinstrippers use lettering enamel and it does not come is a "straw'. At least I have not found any. I use a mixture of yellow, white and brown in custom mix the straw. By custom mixing you cam get a perfect match to your "straw" wheels.
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 10:41 AM   #3
Bruce_MO

I bought an assortment of striping colors... yellow, tan (might have been more like brown), white... and experimented until I had something that matched a "Straw" chip I had. I don't recall exactly how I did it, but I started by pouring a 1/4 can of yellow into a sealable jar and started adding the darker "tan" until I had what I thought was a match. It took probably ten minutes to get what I wanted, and it looks dead on. I never had to use the white. I was going to use the finesse tape, and bought it and the paint from them. Then I decided to pay a striper to do my tudor so it had a more "natural" look. I've seen cars that were done with the finesse tape and they look good, but I feel it just looks a bit too perfect. Another thing I've seen on a few cars is that when they peel the tape back, small stringers or globs can come off the tape and land on the body...may want to mask a larger area to prevent that. Good luck.
Bruce_MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 10:50 AM   #4
Russell in Tulsa

My pinstripe man used yellow and tan and mixed it on a page of a phone book. He then dabbed it on my wheel wiped it off and remixed and redid it on the wheel until you couldn,t tell there was any paint there. He cleaned it off and proceeded to do my '30 Std. coupe in a flash. From time he arrived, mixed, tested and cleaned his brush he couldn't have been more than forty minutes.
Russell in Tulsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 01:57 PM   #5
Dick So. Cal.

Speaking of pin-striping...
Is there a striper near El Segundo CA?
I have a '30 Cabriolet that needs striping.

Thanks for any leads

Dick
Dick So. Cal. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 03:59 PM   #6
pooch

Remember when mixing and matching paint, it always dries a bit darker.

So if you want a perfect match, wait or force it dry or allow for it being a touch lighter when wet.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 04:11 PM   #7
peters180a/170b

JIM BRAND ;PIN STRIPING ,,,Long Island 1-516-922-1892 ..call him and see if he is close to you OR will be in the neighborhood . He is a MASTER in matching paint..I have a friend who has a 1932 Buick big 4 door , unrestored , solid and complete and "HAS" that same color as a stripe and double stripe wheels. Faded in spots and when Jim finished mixing and matching you can not tell. A MASTER...HAD faded spots]

Last edited by peters180a/170b; 12-29-2014 at 06:36 PM. Reason: put wrong phone number in ... correct it
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 04:32 PM   #8
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by peters180a/170b View Post
JIM BRAND ;PIN STRIPING ,,,Long Island 1-516-933-1892 ..call him and see if he is close to you OR will be in the neighborhood . He is a MASTER in matching paint..I have a friend who has a 1932 Buick big 4 door , unrestored , solid and complete and "HAS" that same color as a stripe and double stripe wheels. Faded in spots and when Jim finished mixing and matching you can not tell. A MASTER...HAD faded spots]
X2
X3
X4
X5
best move you can make
and he is very close to your area

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 12-29-2014 at 07:12 PM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote