Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-27-2012, 10:01 AM   #1
mike37cdn

Default clutch slipping whats the best replacment

its time to replace the clutch dics's i already adjusted them up but still slips i see jack rabbit and a 400 set in the parts books is one better than the other going to a winter need to get the parts ordered thank for any insight mike
mike37cdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:04 AM   #2
redmodelt

Default Re: clutch slipping whats the best replacment

How did you adjust them, the fingers inside or link on the outside? What kind of oil are you using? How and when are they slipping?
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:15 AM   #3
mike37cdn

i adjusted the fingers inside i use 30 wieght oil when i go from low to high it shacks the car and slips as i give more gas
Old 08-27-2012, 11:14 AM   #4
CharlieB

Mike you've got to get what's called the free neutral adjustment right before you start pulling stuff apart. What you describe can be caused by the hand brake linkage not fully releasing the clutch spring & locking the discs. Shakeing when shifting in itself isn't unusual It happens if spark & throttle aren't "perfect" and can happen even it their right. It's kind of normal for the occasional/low experience driver. If the discs were slipping you feel it in low too. (& reverse). Try hand cranking with the engine off and the hand brake lever fully released. If you can't move the crank the discs are at least partially locked. Also make sure the lever is fully forward when shifting to high. You shouldn't have toutched the clutch fingers if free neutral isn't correct.
CharlieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:12 PM   #5
yachtsmanbill

Id hafta ad that if all else is in adjustment, the chances of the 21 plates being wasted to the point of slipping is nill. Id be inclined to suspect the clutch spring for fatigue of being broken.
Im running 40W on a new motor and rebuilt trans and re-used the old discs. They were perfect. The spring was a tad (very taddish!) weak but re-used as well. OCCASIONALLY, on the first take off for the day, a hard shift may cause a brief slip. but then I realize that even altho the lever is down off the ratchet, the cam is still just touching it and causing the slip.
Ive been told (never done it tho) that a cup or so of ATF will cure this as well. The friction co-efficients between oil and ATF are different. ATF is made to lube and NOT slip... ws
Old 08-27-2012, 04:51 PM   #6
mike37cdn

well its a learning curve i have free nuetral when the brake lever is fully ahead there is play in the clutch finger so i asume it should be locked but i will try to check every thing again
Old 08-27-2012, 08:21 PM   #7
yachtsmanbill

With the brake lever all the way back in park position, the low pedal (clutch) should stand in the neutral position. When the lever is released all the way forward, the low pedal should come back another 1-2" and have some pressure on it. Pull the floor boards up and push on the pedal then, and you should see the clutch fork shaft rock into the neutral position. It should hold that neutral as the pedal goes down into low gear. Thatll indicate that the clutch linkage itself is close to being adjusted.
Thinking about your symptoms, are you allowing enough time for the discs to seat and grab before opening up the throttle? I give mine 1-2 seconds usually. If youre rolling along at 25 MPH and open her up does the clutch slip then? ws
Old 08-27-2012, 08:39 PM   #8
redmodelt

With the lever fully ahead the car should not be in neutral. It will be in high and the clutch fingers will be pushing on the clutch ring pins. With the parking lever straight up the fingers should be off the pins and the car will be in neutral with the parking brakes off, about 4 clicks back from there with the lever the car should be still in neutral and the parking brakes should fully set.
The only time the clutch is engaged is when the car is in high.
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/173298.html
Old 08-27-2012, 11:14 PM   #9
CharlieB

You sure about that Red? If the clutch wasn't engaged (locked on) in low, reverse & high how does the engine power get to the wheels? The only time the clutch isn't engaged is in neutral.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:42 AM   #10
redmodelt

Yes I am sure about that. When you press down on the low pedal you are putting the clutch in neutral and preventing the low drum from turning with the low band, locking the gear that's on the end of the low drum thus engaging the triple gears which spin the driving gear on the end of the brake drum shaft which spins the brake drum/driving plate/tail shaft assembly bypassing the clutch transmitting power to the u-joint and rear end. Same holds true for reverse but because of the gearing it moves the car in reverse. When the clutch is engaged it locks the whole transmission to the center shaft via the clutch drum and center shaft, allowing the whole unit to spin with the flywheel, the triple gears are stationary when in high. Stopping involves low engine speed, clutch being in neutral the brake band stopping the brake drum/driving plate/tail shaft assembly from spinning and the triple gears which spin around the stopped driving gear on the brake drum shaft, the low and reverse drums may be spinning or not. The center shaft in the transmission supports the drums when not in high. The Model T clutch is one of the hardest things to understand because it goes against everything we know about clutches.

Last edited by redmodelt; 08-28-2012 at 12:55 AM.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:42 AM   #11
Doug Money

It isn't hard to understand. It is not a manual transmission. It is a planetary the same as modern day automatics. It uses foot pressure instead of fluid pressure.

Check this out to see how it works.
http://www.modeltcentral.com/transmi...animation.html
Doug Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:14 AM   #12
CharlieB

Honesty (obviously) I've never torn one down. Looked at plenty of diagrams though. No help at all I guess.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:19 AM   #13
Willie in Houston

Doug, thanks for that detailed discription of a T Transmission. I thought I knew how a T transmission worked, but some of the posting had me doubting myself.
I have rebushed two transmissions and did learn the hard way about not leaving the triple gear bushing to tight. Yea, it locked and I had to go back in and redo the bushings on the triple gears.
Willie in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:22 PM   #14
redmodelt

Thanks Doug, that went into my save file.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:59 PM   #15
redmodelt

To add one more thing, I don't think the guy is making the Jack Rabbet clutch so unless someone has a used set or one of the suppliers still has a set in stock you are down to 400 or stock. I had the 400 for a while and didn't seem to have any issues, they were used when I got them. When I went through my transmission last winter I installed a used set of Jack Rabbets, I like then so far.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:03 AM   #16
mike37cdn

i just got the car back out for a test drive and it seems not to be slipping just have to ajust for free neutral this car has a jack rabbit cllutch in it thank you everyone for there input mike
Old 09-01-2012, 02:26 PM   #17
redmodelt

Thank you for the update.