Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-17-2012, 03:45 PM   #1
mike37cdn

Default 1949 merc driving lights

i have a 49 merc with driving lights of fog lights i believe they are factory i found a ford tag on the wiring i would to find some instllation plains for them i think the switch is factory with three termials on it would like to knoww the right way to wire it thanks mike
mike37cdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:34 PM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: 1949 merc driving lights

There may be a few collectors out there that have copys of the installation instructions for the road lamp kits. In the 1949/50 chassis parts catalog it lists parts for the kit with some discriptions. It lists an 8" wire from the roadlamp switch to the light switch but which terminal is connects to I can't help you with. It lists a single wire from the road lamp switch to the front with a double female connector at 83" long. There is an interconnect wire between the left & right lamps that is 37" long.

The roadlamp switch for 1949 is listed as a Lincoln prefix part since these accessories were used on Lincolns and Mercurys alike. The bulb that is listed for the road lamp itself is one of the smaller 4.5" bulbs and was described as a clear bulb and was a common FoMoCo lamp for road lamp accessories clear back to the 40s.

The late 1950 & 51 used the roadlamps that had serrated rims. This was a common style rim on road lamps, back up lamps, and spot lamps for that time but the 49 models may have a a plain smooth rim but I am not sure. I have more experience with the 51 models but I still look at this stuff when it comes up on flea-pay.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote