Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-13-2020, 04:46 PM   #1
Juergen

Default Crank mount fans

Another set of items my friend got were what look like 39-40 mounted fans. The one on the right has what looks like the normal configuration; a 4 inch hub with the fan blades also 4 inches from the face. The one on the right has the fan blades from 4 3/4 to 5 inches from the face of the hub. I cannot find any hammer marks on the blades nor any signs of bending. So I don't know if they were for a special application or just junk. Any ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 000_1763.jpg (40.9 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg 000_1764.jpg (40.8 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg 000_1765.jpg (42.9 KB, 67 views)
Juergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 07:55 PM   #2
drolston

Default Re: Crank mount fans

Those blades are more easily bent than one might imagine. I had a perfectly aligned fan on my '41, and then made the mistake of turning the engine over by pulling on the blades. That fan ended up in the radiator because the crank nut was installed without the Bellville washer that holds the fan in. Bought a replacement which came with less than perfect alignment. I straighten the blades by laying the fan face down on a flat bench and adjusted the blades by bending until the full leading edges of all of the blades were perfectly flat against the table.

Your fan on the right looks like it might be close enough to flat. The one on the left is so bent that I would worry about throwing a blade if you bent it back.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 08:11 PM   #3
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juergen View Post
Another set of items my friend got were what look like 39-40 mounted fans. The one on the right has what looks like the normal configuration; a 4 inch hub with the fan blades also 4 inches from the face. The one on the right has the fan blades from 4 3/4 to 5 inches from the face of the hub. I cannot find any hammer marks on the blades nor any signs of bending. So I don't know if they were for a special application or just junk. Any ideas?
The one on the left is '40 Mercury. It has a longer hub to get closer to the radiator.
Old 06-13-2020, 09:06 PM   #4
deuce_roadster

I have a NOS 19A fan which is different then the 91A but without measuring don't recall the actual difference. The one on the left while having a longer hub looks like the blades are bent forward. I would think they should be in a flat plane.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 09:04 AM   #5
Juergen

Thanks for the replies. Great help
Juergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 09:38 AM   #6
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_roadster View Post
I have a NOS 19A fan which is different then the 91A but without measuring don't recall the actual difference. The one on the left while having a longer hub looks like the blades are bent forward. I would think they should be in a flat plane.
Deuce,
I should have mentioned the blades at least appear to be bent. Thanks for adding that.
I am certain the "taller" of the two (the one on the left) is Mercury.
Old 06-14-2020, 10:33 AM   #7
19Fordy

I would be afraid to use any of those 2 fans as they may have microscopic cracks.
I still have the body repair scars under my hood where a work hardened fan blade
flew off while I was standing by the engine compartment operating the throttle by hand.

Said my prayers that day!

Last edited by 19Fordy; 06-14-2020 at 11:20 AM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 12:31 PM   #8
grumppyoldman

I had a bad blade on my 48, I couldn't see it running out. Fired it up one day putting my foot in it, and the blade broke off, going downward taking the bail off the dist. cutting the plug wires and pushing the dist cap into the radiator. what a mess, the blades don;t have to show a run out to be defective. Al
grumppyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 12:51 PM   #9
nickthebandit

I was just pulling away from a traffic light at a normal pace, then boom, a fan blade came up and stuck in the hood. I limped home with a lot of vibration. When i got home, all the fan attaching bolts were extremely loose.
nickthebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 12:57 PM   #10
grumppyoldman

Just went out and checked my 41's fan blade, got to thinking about what happened on the 48 I once had. The blades are all straight, not bent, and measures 4 " through center hole end to end. Glad I saw this, made me check mine. Al
grumppyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote