Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-12-2014, 05:45 PM   #1
smurph

Arrow Need advice on '35 Ford Cabriolet exhaust system

I recently purchased a restored '35 Ford Cabriolet. It has dual exhausts with Red's Headers and Smithy mufflers. Other than this modification it is all stock. To accommodate the driver's side exhaust, the restorer moved the battery to the floor of the rumble seat area and ran the exhaust pipe through the battery box. I am not happy with this arrangement and would like to return the battery to its proper location while maintaining the dual exhausts.

I called Red 's Headers and they make an exhaust pipe that attaches to the header and curves around the battery box to the muffler. They also said some cutting may be required to make it fit.

Has anyone had any experience doing this ? Is there any other way this can be accomplished? Any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.
Smurph
smurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:04 PM   #2
AnthonyG

Default Re: Need advice on '35 Ford Cabriolet exhaust system

I am working with Red's same type project and had the same conversation, also didn't like the elimination of the battery box. He indicated if I didn't mind the exhaust under the running boards pipes could be fabricated to get there with no cutting on the car. Obviously the simplest route from their would be exhaust out just in front of rear tires. Still thinking about it my self. I think a local exhaust shop with a good bender could figure out a route under the car without cutting the car up but haven't got that far.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:03 PM   #3
G.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurph View Post
I recently purchased a restored '35 Ford Cabriolet. It has dual exhausts with Red's Headers and Smithy mufflers. Other than this modification it is all stock. To accommodate the driver's side exhaust, the restorer moved the battery to the floor of the rumble seat area and ran the exhaust pipe through the battery box. I am not happy with this arrangement and would like to return the battery to its proper location while maintaining the dual exhausts.

I called Red 's Headers and they make an exhaust pipe that attaches to the header and curves around the battery box to the muffler. They also said some cutting may be required to make it fit.

Has anyone had any experience doing this ? Is there any other way this can be accomplished? Any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.
Smurph
Attached is a picture of a 34 P/U we put duals on. Use an Optima battery and put it in long ways. We made a special battery box. You don't want a battery in the rear. We also mounted an Optima on the right side of the engine on a 35 roadster, again in a special box. Batteries mounted under the floor or in the rear get neglected. G.M.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OPTIMA BATTERY BOX 34.jpg (57.8 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg OPTIMA 35 Roadster.JPG (57.5 KB, 30 views)
Old 03-12-2014, 10:10 PM   #4
FL&WVMIKE

It can be done. Ole SHADETREE has a '35 Cabriolet with the battery in the stock position, with duals. There is a guy, back home, in Spencer, W. Va., that fabricated his exhaust, to fit.
I think that being a Cabriolet, has nothing to do with the fit. I believe that all passenger cars would be the same.
MIKE (mikeburch)

Last edited by FL&WVMIKE; 03-12-2014 at 10:18 PM.
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:24 AM   #5
Ed Pitts

Here is the exhaust pipe from Red's that curves around the battery. This is in my 36. The pipe could be wrapped to keep the heat away from the battery. Ed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3195_1.jpg (38.9 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3128.JPG (150.2 KB, 39 views)
Ed Pitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:06 AM   #6
Ken Arms

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Like GM here is my 12v group 51 batterie box on a 34
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 34 001.jpg (42.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 34 002.jpg (45.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 34 003.jpg (53.7 KB, 17 views)
Ken Arms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 03:30 PM   #7
Ken Bull

I had a 40 Pickup for 19 years and stock Batt was in engine compartment. I was always charging, cking water level or cleaning acid corrosion off. So when I restored the 36 --not wanting the major inconvienance of going through the floor I got the Optima 3 1/2" wide 6V Batt(Gel=no corrosion) and mounted it by the engine as GM did. Best thing I ever did! If AACA judged ? 2 points off & 3 points off to for Duals and a flafhead V8 is less FUN without DUALS! Enjoy!
Ken Bull is offline   Reply With Quote