Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-06-2014, 01:05 PM   #1
smurph

Default Key Blank for locking Hubcap, '35 Cabriolet

I don't have a key for the locking hubcap for my'35 Cabriolet. Can anyone tell me if the hubcap key blank is the same as: 1) the ignition; 2) the doors; or 3) the trunk/rumble seat door? Or is it entirely different from the above? Is there a key code that goes along with the blank to facilitate making a new one (and a spare, of course).
Thanks in advance for your help.
Smurph
smurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:52 PM   #2
Willit Stop

Default Re: Key Blank for locking Hubcap, '35 Cabriolet

I don't know if the cap key will fit other locks on the car.As I recall,the key is a rare thickness and hard to find,but Mac's sells the Hurd blanks for about $5 and they are the correct thickness.If you take the lock and the blank to a GOOD locksmith, they can do an "impression fit".I think that's the right term.
Willit Stop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:59 PM   #3
JM 35 Sedan

The original key for the '35 spare locking hubcap has a football shaped end. The accessory glovebox lock used the same key. If you are not concerned about originality you could use a round end key blank originally used for ignition/door lock. Some of the lock cylinders I have removed from locking hubcaps have code numbers that can be used to cut a new key, but most did not have those numbers. A good locksmith can rekey these lock cylinders by changing the pins. There are two or three locksmiths who are FB members and occasionally post here.
I have purchased repro key blanks from both Drake and Carpenter that have worked well for me.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 02-06-2014 at 05:08 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:14 PM   #4
FlatHeadCoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurph View Post
I don't have a key for the locking hubcap for my'35 Cabriolet. Can anyone tell me if the hubcap key blank is the same as: 1) the ignition; 2) the doors; or 3) the trunk/rumble seat door? Or is it entirely different from the above? Is there a key code that goes along with the blank to facilitate making a new one (and a spare, of course).
Thanks in advance for your help.
Smurph
Is your locking cap a Hurd or Briggs and Stratton (BASCO) version? (marked on the casting) If it is Briggs and Stratton, I have the correct Briggs and Stratton key blanks and can cut from code that is stamped on the lock cylinder. If it is a Hurd version, I have correct used and NOS cylinders with correct keys, since most of the cylinders are not stamped and must be re-pinned to be used, unless you find a locksmith willing to make a key by the method mentioned above.
Regards,
FlatHeadCoupe
FlatHeadCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote