Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-13-2021, 05:51 PM   #1
Model A Ron

Default Urethane vs Base Clear

I have a 31 Victoria project that I am thinking about painting myself in the garage. I am good a color sanding so what paint would be the most forgiving for a new painter......urethane or base coat clear coat?
Model A Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 06:14 PM   #2
Incognito-A

Default Re: Urethane vs Base Clear

Base/clear just doesn’t look right on a Model A. That being said…the majority of work with painting is done in the preparation. Also any mistakes or shortcuts taken in prep can ruin a good spray job at any point in the future. Sometimes bubbles and other defects show up months or years later.

To answer: Single stage urethane is also probably going to be more forgiving for many reasons.

From someone (me) who can do everything related to a restoration (from body work to upholstery), I choose not to do painting and leave it to the pros.
Incognito-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 07:54 PM   #3
Model A Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognito-A View Post
Base/clear just doesn’t look right on a Model A. That being said…the majority of work with painting is done in the preparation. Also any mistakes or shortcuts taken in prep can ruin a good spray job at any point in the future. Sometimes bubbles and other defects show up months or years later.

To answer: Single stage urethane is also probably going to be more forgiving for many reasons.

From someone (me) who can do everything related to a restoration (from body work to upholstery), I choose not to do painting and leave it to the pros.
What makes Urethane more forgiving?
Old 11-13-2021, 08:48 PM   #4
Alaska Mike

I use both, depending on the application. Both have their advantages. I don't know why someone would say that base/clear coat doesn't look right on a Model A, but I guess everyone has their opinion. Base /clear works well if you are painting two tone paint project. The clear covers everything. Shoot the base and get good coverage and then three coats of clear and you are pretty good to go, so you can sand out the dust nibs, runs, and other problems that can show up if you are not using a really good paint booth. Then buff and it will look really nice. I can base / clear and not have to sand or buff anything, but I have been painting for 50 years. I have used them all from the old Dulux to base / clear and everything in between. The new paints are much easier than the old. There is nothing wrong with single stage, but you better be a pretty good painter to make it come out right.
Alaska Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 09:37 PM   #5
chrs1961815

Base clear is definitely easier for a novice painter. That is why I think the industry went that direction simply because lacquer pailed in comparison and you didn't need to be as experienced and trained.
That being said, base clear is obvious on a Model A from single stage. As one old painter told me, it looks too plasticy.

Fyi, single stage and base clear are both urethane. Some single stage is enamel but pretty much everything is urethane these days.
Old 11-13-2021, 10:49 PM   #6
old ugly

if you are painting in a sterile environment base clear will be a nicer finish but not be an original look.

in my garage i prefer single stage urethane, it is only one operation, spray the car and it is over. no worries about the time frame for dust or bugs to land on the base which will be magnified once the clear goes over it. if you do get a run or dust or bug the urethane it polishes up nice. if you get a scratch in the base clear it will show white, scratch the single stage and it will show the color of the paint, i have touched up a few chips and scratches with a small brush, fill in the scratch, let them cure then polished them flat and it looks good, i seem to be touching stuff up more now that im older. urethane will last for many years, probably longer than you will own the car.
single stage urethane works good for me and it is just is easier.

my old father-in-law told me. "listen close when people tell you how to do stuff they may know something. then do it the way you want."
old ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 12:28 AM   #7
BrianH

I've done basecoat/clearcoat in the garage. I would spray extra coats of base/color and let it dry. About a week or so later color sand and remove any imperfections. I start with 1000 grit go to 1500 and finish with 2000. Then spray 4 coats of clear and color sand the same as above and polish. Turns out real nice. I know a long process but worth it in the end.
BrianH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 08:16 AM   #8
Patrick L.

I agree with what most of the fellas have said. Base/clear just doesn't look right on an old car, but, is easier to apply and get good results.

Single just looks right on an old car, but, is a bit harder to apply with good results.

It just depends on the look you want.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 10:54 AM   #9
aermotor

Single coat is much easier and less work to blend in with a repair in future repair areas.

John
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 11:16 AM   #10
Mister Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by aermotor View Post
Single coat is much easier and less work to blend in with a repair in future repair areas.

John
Yes, many people focus on just the spraying and cost, long term maintenance, durability, color retention and repair blending ability should factor into any paint decision.
Mister Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 06:28 PM   #11
Model A Ron

I know that for most light scratches Base Clear is very easy to buff out as long as you did not hit the base coat.

I do think two coats of base then wet sand and 3 coats of clear and sand would give you a very deep wet look. I also think Base Clear would be more forgiving if you make mistakes.
Old 11-14-2021, 08:36 PM   #12
Hitman

A single stage paint is just the true color. A two stage paint is a little bit of color with a “clear” paint on top. Both take the same maintenance to keep from oxidizing, and both can be sanded and buffed just as easily. Yes the clear often provides a deeper look, but they’re just a different “color”.

Pay attention to the paint type more than the single or two stage label. Urethanes, acrylics, lacquers, etc. are the details you need to pay attention to if there’s a particular look you are going for.
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 08:03 AM   #13
Bob Bidonde

My 190A Victoria is painted in single stage urethane over epoxy primer. Owning and driving Model A's since 1962, I have learned that a Model "A" is a magnet for scrapes and scratches, so ease of touch-up is a big concern. Clear coat is a nightmare to touch-up, so a single stage urethane is the best choice in my opinion. By the way, my car is not color sanded. The gloss you see is right out of the spray gun!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-04(5).jpg (64.5 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-07(1) Paint By Tom Murphy.jpg (100.7 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-07(4) Paint By Tom Murphy.jpg (66.5 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-07(28) B0b Bidonde.jpg (101.6 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-07 190A Parts In Living Room 381kb.jpg (70.3 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 190A Front & Rear Fenders 284kb.jpg (54.7 KB, 40 views)
Old 11-15-2021, 08:47 AM   #14
aermotor

Base clear doubles the chance of dust and flying insects, prevention once is hard enough.

John
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 11:59 PM   #15
Model A Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post
My 190A Victoria is painted in single stage urethane over epoxy primer. Owning and driving Model A's since 1962, I have learned that a Model "A" is a magnet for scrapes and scratches, so ease of touch-up is a big concern. Clear coat is a nightmare to touch-up, so a single stage urethane is the best choice in my opinion. By the way, my car is not color sanded. The gloss you see is right out of the spray gun!
Bob
I have decided to go single stage urethane over epoxy primer after researching single and base clear. I think single stage will give the original look that I am after but I do plan on ding a color sand.
Old 11-16-2021, 09:55 AM   #16
Bob Bidonde

Ron, you will need sun glasses to look at your car when it's color sanded. Single stage urethane is an excellent choice. I used Nason by DuPont. Very little orange peel with this paint.
Old 11-17-2021, 12:33 AM   #17
Model A Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post
Ron, you will need sun glasses to look at your car when it's color sanded. Single stage urethane is an excellent choice. I used Nason by DuPont. Very little orange peel with this paint.
Hey Bob
You may be right on the sun glasses but I do think it will look good color sanded. I hope to be in Paint come spring as I need to build the the chassis over the winter. The 31 Victoria I got is a basket case but it looks like I have the parts. She was last on the road in 1950 and was taken apart in the early 70's. Car came with a rebuilt engine and transmission that was never used.

Last edited by Model A Ron; 11-17-2021 at 02:07 AM.
Old 11-17-2021, 01:07 PM   #18
Bob Bidonde

Ron, if you need help, my contact info is in the Bustle.
Old 11-17-2021, 02:09 PM   #19
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

These comment have been a great help in my making my decision not only on painting my Roadster but I’m also restoring my 1966 Porsche 912.

The guy that is restoring the Porsche suggested a single stage paint because it is cheaper and he said it will look more like it did when it came from the factory. He also said it’s easier to maintain. He will be using the original color code based on the VIN number. I was going to go with base/clear coat but I think it will look over restored. I want a driver and not a trailer queen.

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 02:14 PM   #20
McMimmcs

A friend has a 31 Chevrolet and it is base clear. At car shows he is often asked if it’s a kit car it is so out of character!
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote