Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-05-2021, 03:53 AM   #1
KULTULZ

Question 1952-59 ford social group @ hamb-bone

How in the world do you get in? I got in once and cannot figure how to do it again.

Are they checking at the door now ...

CORNFUSED AND AGITATED IN W(BY GOD)V ...

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 08:11 AM   #2
down-the-road

Default Re: 1952-59 ford social group @ hamb-bone

You have to check in with the three-headed monster first!
Now let's se if I can get these steps in the right order and maybe add a couple of pictures to go with them.

1. Click on the tab with three heads to get a list.
2. Click on the words SOCIAL FORUMS to get another list.
3. Click on the word Brands to get the list of forums identified by vehicle brand.
4. Click on the words 1952-59 Ford Social Group. If you are already a member, you see the posts in that group.
5. You need to join the group if you see (You have insufficient privileges to post here.) Click on the words Social Forum Tools to get another list.
6. Click on the words JOIN SOCIAL FORUM. Now you are a member and can see posts in the forum.

Just close the window when you are done with the posts. You can drop your membership in the the group if you go back to Social Forum Tools and click the words LEAVE SOCIAL FORUM.

Now let's see if I can get the pictures in here in the correct order. It is tricky at first to get into the HAMB social forum, but it is easier to post pictures over there. Both places have a bunch of great guys and great information!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Social Forum Tab Step 1 and 2.JPG.jpg (11.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Social Forum Tab Step 3.JPG.jpg (11.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Social Forum Tab Step 4.JPG.jpg (18.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Social Forum Tab Step 5.JPG.jpg (16.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Social Forum Tab Step 6.JPG.jpg (18.8 KB, 9 views)
down-the-road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 08:36 AM   #3
down-the-road

CORNFUSED! HEE-HAW! Start here..

Last edited by down-the-road; 03-05-2021 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Bigger Picture
down-the-road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 10:01 AM   #4
KULTULZ

Exclamation Re: 1952-59 ford social group @ hamb-bone

DAMN!

Prison release was easier ...

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Old 03-05-2021, 10:06 AM   #5
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: 1952-59 ford social group @ hamb-bone

THANX GUYS!

What I am trying to find is retro-fitting self adjusters on pre- 1958 FORD.

In 1958 FORD supposedly installed self-adjusters on high trim FORD - MERC (1957) - LINC.

No mention in either the 49/59 MPC . First years used shows 1961.

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 03-05-2021, 10:11 AM   #6
54vicky

self adjusters is a pretty vague.kreskin might think brakes but mere mortals?
54vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 02:11 PM   #7
KULTULZ

... got in ...

Waited for lunch and they left a window open ...

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 03-06-2021, 02:58 AM   #8
JeffB2

What it all comes down to on the self adjusters is to find a later model Ford that uses the same brake shoes then you use the same hardware and adjuster kits. The first one we did in the Group was the 1952-54 Fords they use the same shoes as 1967-72 Mustangs so that made it easy. One little trick is to use the Rock Auto catalog online when you click on a brake shoe part number you get a pop up showing other cars that use the same shoes self adjusters became more standard about 1962 and later.
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 09:13 AM   #9
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB2 View Post

What it all comes down to on the self adjusters is to find a later model Ford that uses the same brake shoes then you use the same hardware and adjuster kits. The first one we did in the Group was the 1952-54 Fords they use the same shoes as 1967-72 Mustangs so that made it easy.

One little trick is to use the Rock Auto catalog online when you click on a brake shoe part number you get a pop up showing other cars that use the same shoes self adjusters became more standard about 1962 and later.
I was wondering where you were. Remember we had a discussion here previously about the conversion. You said one would either modify the retaining pin (2027 in Ill) or Modify the spring retainer (2028) by narrowing its' thickness I believe.

And now you are saying to find a later shoe(s) with later webbing that will accept the self-adjusting components. Makes sense to me. But if the FORD has 11" shoes and the MUST has 10" shoes, will the cable be long enough for the earlier shoe?

I just noticed you say your social group has a FAQ which I failed to notice. Is there more info there?

FORD actually began install in 1958, but there is nothing in the MPC about it or the SHOP MANUAL(S). MERC has the info.

Anywho, I began to think (not common) that a front disc swap needs the rear self-adjusters to keep the drums in proper adjustment so as not to over work the disc.

THANX!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BRAKE - MERC - 1957-59 FRT Self-Adj.jpg (54.9 KB, 16 views)

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 03-07-2021, 03:01 AM   #10
frnkeore

This is a page from my '58 Edsel Service manual.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Self Adjuster.jpg (52.2 KB, 24 views)
'54 Ford Tudor Mainline
frnkeore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 09:47 AM   #11
JeffB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
I was wondering where you were. Remember we had a discussion here previously about the conversion. You said one would either modify the retaining pin (2027 in Ill) or Modify the spring retainer (2028) by narrowing its' thickness I believe.

And now you are saying to find a later shoe(s) with later webbing that will accept the self-adjusting components. Makes sense to me. But if the FORD has 11" shoes and the MUST has 10" shoes, will the cable be long enough for the earlier shoe?

I just noticed you say your social group has a FAQ which I failed to notice. Is there more info there?

FORD actually began install "in 1958, but there is nothing in the MPC about it or the SHOP MANUAL(S). MERC has the info.

Anywho, I began to think (not common) that a front disc swap needs the rear self-adjusters to keep the drums in proper adjustment so as not to over work the disc.

THANX!
You match the aduster and hardware kits to the shoes 10" to 10" and 11 " to " 11 taking also the width into account as well. This has become an issue with most 1955-59 Fords as finding drums and shoes for these has become a nightmare for many check out the link here: https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...rake+shoe,1688 Notice that a lot of the cars in the list are pre-60's that did not use self adjusters.The 1957-59 Ford 9" rear ends have been in demand for swaps for years in 50's Fords and have become pricey so in some cases swapping out the backing plates for a later Ford that you can get drums and shoes and hardware more readily might be in order.

Last edited by JeffB2; 03-08-2021 at 09:52 AM.
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 09:59 AM   #12
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB2 View Post

You match the aduster and hardware kits to the shoes 10" to 10" and 11 " to " 11 taking also the width into account as well.

This has become an issue with most 1955-59 Fords as finding drums and shoes for these has become a nightmare for many check out the link here: https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...rake+shoe,1688

Notice that a lot of the cars in the list are pre-60's that did not use self adjusters
Hey, THANX for that info JeffB2COOL. I saw entries on your HAMB-BONE site suggesting using later brake assemblies and like the reference you gave to period correct dual reservoir master cylinders as to rebuilding a correct take-off as opposed to buying an off-shore look-a-like.

THANX again as I think I am about to speed on retro-fitting.

Now one has to worry about finding a correct/undamaged set of later shoes that can be re-lined.

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 03-08-2021, 08:48 PM   #13
paul2748

The TBirds used 11 inch shoes. There is a write up in the Early Bird magazine on self adjusting conversion with part numbers. I have a copy if your interested. Will send snail mail
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 05:28 AM   #14
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2748 View Post

The TBirds used 11 inch shoes. There is a write up in the Early Bird magazine on self adjusting conversion with part numbers. I have a copy if your interested. Will send snail mail
That would be most helpful and appreciated.

What I am trying to ascertain is how to do a disc swap correctly using only FORD parts (NO GM - Off-Shore).

I will PM you my address as I still have a few outstanding warrants floating and they are starting to get close again ...

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 03-09-2021, 10:15 AM   #15
51504bat

I don't know if nascardave is still active on the board or not but he would be a go to guy about info on front discs with stock parts. A very helpful guy. Don't know if he'll see this thread or not. You might try a PM also. He has been a world of help on my '54 Ranch Wagon project.
Old 12-28-2021, 11:49 AM   #16
KULTULZ

Red face Re: 1952-59 ford social group @ hamb-bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by frnkeore View Post

This is a page from my '58 Edsel Service manual.
And I forgot to THANK YOU for that ...

If it wasn't for bad manners, the boy would have none at all ...
Old 12-28-2021, 12:21 PM   #17
KULTULZ

Question Re: 1952-59 ford social group @ hamb-bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51504bat View Post

I don't know if nascardave is still active on the board or not but he would be a go to guy about info on front discs with stock parts. A very helpful guy. Don't know if he'll see this thread or not. You might try a PM also.

He has been a world of help on my '54 Ranch Wagon project.
Which DISC SWAP SYSTEM did you decide to go with on your '54?
Old 12-28-2021, 04:16 PM   #18
paul2748

What car are you planning to put discs on. One source for disc brake conversion is Engineered Components Inc (ECI).. They make disc brake conversions for a lot of different applications. Been around a long time. I have one on their set up for bigger brakes on a Mustang II front end. No problems in 25 years.
Old 12-28-2021, 06:36 PM   #19
KULTULZ

Post Re: 1952-59 ford social group @ hamb-bone

What I am trying to do Paul is cleanly retrofit the 1965/67 KH 4-PISTON CALIPER design to early FORD/BIRD using all FORD parts.

Just wondering which way the poster went with his.

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 12-28-2021, 08:15 PM   #20
paul2748

If your working on an early TBird (55-57) then CASCO and Hill's have a conversion kit (they both look the same in their respective catalogs). Just got one from Hills and its looks good, haven't started to install yet. It uses Mustang rotors and the 4 piston calipers. Seems to have very good directions.. Kit contains dual master cylinder, heat guard for the master, brake lines, seals, spacers, bearings and proportioning valve with bracket.. Kind of expensive though, around 1,400 bucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
What I am trying to do Paul is cleanly retrofit the 1965/67 KH 4-PISTON CALIPER design to early FORD/BIRD using all FORD parts.

Just wondering which way the poster went with his.