Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-30-2020, 04:21 PM   #21
petehoovie

Default Re: Customs - The Beginnings with Barris

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphM View Post
Now Ed “Big Daddy” Roth was another story. He lived in fiberglass and Bondo. But he sure knew how to promote and sell! His items can still be bought on line today! In fact I still have some “Rat Fink” T shirts.
I remember all the bubble gum cards from when I was a kid.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 06:20 PM   #22
aussie merc

really boys the word is custom [meaning customers own] its not yours so why get upset its theirs they paid good money for it hope they like it trust me there are plenty out there i m not so keen on and consider a waste of time and money [but it wasn't mine ] so just smile and move on have a chuckle on the inside . just remember next time your ride chucks a hissy fit on the side of the road whos gunna pull up and check on you . [IT HAPPENS]
aussie merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 06:36 PM   #23
34fordy

I had an old friend, long time deceased, who had insight into all of this. He always said "Everyone has a right to their own stupid opinion". I guess that covers all of us. I have never thought too highly of the high dollar shops with numerous workers all doing a certain specialty. I like the guy's cars done by themselves with the talents they developed and usually not much money. Much of the builds by the high dollar shops look too radical to me and rubbing shoulders with the guy who takes all the credit means nothing to me. No offence meant to anyone.
34fordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 08:39 PM   #24
Hoop

"and rubbing shoulders with the guy who takes all the credit means nothing to me."

34fordy, maybe you are missing how many thousands upon thousands of "guy's cars done by themselves with the talents they developed and usually not much money"were inspired by George Barris.

Maybe you and I just grew up differently but, for me, meeting George ... and "rubbing shoulders with him" ... was a pleasant connection back to thumbing through car magazines and knowing Southern California in the 50's was a million miles away from where i grew up ...

(Customizing was removing the hood ornament and loading the trunk of a '50 Ford with sand bags ... flipper hub caps, dual radio antennae, skirts.)
Old 07-30-2020, 09:03 PM   #25
34fordy

[QUOTE=Hoop;1914931]"and rubbing shoulders with the guy who takes all the credit means nothing to me."

34fordy, maybe you are missing how many thousands upon thousands of "guy's cars done by themselves with the talents they developed and usually not much money"were inspired by George Barris.

Maybe you and I just grew up differently but, for me, meeting George ... and "rubbing shoulders with him"

I said I meant no offence Hoop but evidently you were. I do not know what "DarkRed" means either. Thousands upon thousands are quite a few I suppose.
It is pretty difficult to express my own "stupid opinion" without causing friction.
I believe I spoke without thinking! MY APOLOGIES.
34fordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:16 PM   #26
Hoop

Please, no apologies ... I was not offended. My perspective is different than yours. Barris provided daydreams of what was possible. The early magazines encouraged guys all over the country to do what you said ... develop their talents perhaps with very little cash.

We're not far apart ... just seeing it from a little different angle.