Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-30-2010, 11:50 AM   #1
Al

Default Miles per day touring

Hi:

Like to hear from some experienced drivers.......how many miles per day do you typically drive? Looking to cover 625 miles and just not sure how many miles I can take a day......the car I'm not worried about

I've got Mitchell overdrive and easily cruise at 55...probably take mostly highway.

thanks
Al
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 12:18 PM   #2
steve s

Default Re: Miles per day touring

No doubt you'll get lots of opinions on this. I too have an overdrive and pretty quiet and comfy town sedan, and find that somewhere around 250 miles it stops being so much fun and more of a chore. Two days for 625 miles should be manageable although, depending on YOUR age, you might be personally wiped out when you get there. You definitely want to make it about the journey rather than the getting-there when Model A'ing.

On the other hand, my Dad used to drive 500 miles a day in his coupe to see my to-be mom for a weekend once a month--Philly to Millersport, OH. Then on Sunday, he'd turn around and drive back. Here's the car and the incentive package.

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg my compilation.jpg (354).jpg (42.3 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg my compilation.jpg (353)-cropped.jpg (56.1 KB, 81 views)

Last edited by steve s; 05-30-2010 at 12:45 PM.
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 01:30 PM   #3
V4F

i agree with 2 days .... so 312 1/2 per day ................. steve ... youll be tired !!
Old 05-30-2010, 01:39 PM   #4
Chris in WNC

hi Al,

2.5 days each way from Jacksonville to Dallas in 2008, driving an otherwise completely stock Tudor with a Mitchell. coming home I drove over 495 miles two days in a row. Interstates in LA & MS, US90 in AL & FL. that's a little too far for an old guy.

the Pheaton might wear you out a little faster than a closed car.

we are planning to drive approximately 305 miles each of the first two days and 235 the 3rd to French Lick. this time driving a S/W with Brumfield head, counterbalanced crank and a Mitchell.

we are going northwest towards Birmingham, then straight north.

see ya there.......
Chris in WNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 09:39 PM   #5
Jerry Parr WI

Two days will be a chore and three days would be enjoyable. I like to plan 200 miles per day on longer trips which gives some time to smell the roses. 300 in a day is ok if that's the complete trip. I have done 400+ but it does not make for a fun hobby.
Jerry Parr WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 06:31 AM   #6
Del in NE Ohio

I agree that 200 miles is good days "work" even in my comfy town sedan!
But then I drive my "A" on tours,trips, etc as an escape from deadlines, interstates, and all the nonsense of daily life. Leave your self some time to stop at the diner most people fly by and can't even see from the Interstate. Or, maybe stop at that garage sale on that two lane highway where a NOS Sparton or Stewart-Warner awaits you!
Del in NE Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:23 AM   #7
skip
Banned

On a cruse we only do around 100 miles a day, we have an open car and the O' body takes a wind thrashing...if the Roadster was a Coupe or Tudor then the drive would be a lot nicer...and the Frau would be more comfortable. We could take our 'son' Logan dog too!! Yes I know my wing diggy window clamps are up side down.

skip.

Last edited by skip; 05-31-2010 at 07:29 AM.
skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:55 AM   #8
Aerocraft

My endurance in the Model A on cross countrys is based more on how many hours I have spent in the car versus the miles that I have driven. The Roadster makes the hours tougher than my Town Sedan and the roads that I use have a huge impact on fatigue. Anything past eight hours of driving gets pretty hard on my old body. I would rather keep it at six or seven hours. My wife and I have done twelve hours per day for two days in a row and that almost required bed rest to recover. How many miles result from those hours are a function of roads. I can average 45 on the expressways, but frequently as low as 30 on state highways and back roads, The more I have to shift (stop lights and stop signs), the slower the average. Gar Williams
Aerocraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 11:28 AM   #9
Tacoma Bob

200 hundred a day works for me. These cars have a way of beatin your behind even with a v-8 in them.
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 12:52 PM   #10
Jack '29 Sport Coupe

200 is about all I want to drive. However, in answer to the original thread, I would probably split the 625 miles in half just to save another night in a motel. I would probably not do this unless I could drive on the interstate at 55-60. My O/D makes that very doable. Even so, prefer to just drive 200 miles a day. My old body tires out much quicker than it did 40 years ago, lol.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:11 PM   #11
Ford46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al View Post
Hi:

Like to hear from some experienced drivers.......how many miles per day do you typically drive? Looking to cover 625 miles and just not sure how many miles I can take a day......the car I'm not worried about

I've got Mitchell overdrive and easily cruise at 55...probably take mostly highway.

thanks
Al
When I first saw this thread I thought I would keep my opinion to myself, but here it is anyway. Everyones tolerance for mileage per day is different and dependent on many factors. If time or expense is an issue, then the quicker the better. However, I believe this defeats the intent of a trip, which is to enjoy these old cars. Yes, you can drive 55 down the highway and see what? A bigger question is can you relax going 55 on a highway in a vehicle that was never designed for that speed, are you able to stop like vehicles with four wheel disc brakes? I guess the bigger question is when it's over did you enjoy it? OMHO.
Ford46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:42 PM   #12
Logan

I just drove 300 today with a 4 speed trans. We stoped a lot though on side trips and it only took a little more than 5 hours. And that was with about 10 cars so we made pretty good time. As long as you start out early you could cover 400 easily in a day. I talked to a group at high country tour from San Antonio, Tx and they covered about 600 miles the first day. Your trip should take no longer than 2 days if you just drive. So it can be done, you just have to be prepared for breakdowns and long talks with people at gas stations.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:19 AM   #13
NealTX

I was with Logan on today's trip. I got home in just 275 miles today. Also, please note that I am almost 5 times as old as Logan is. Some of us old dudes can still travel. My longest 7 day trip was about 1550 miles.
NealTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:32 AM   #14
RudyOnWheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealTX View Post
I was with Logan on today's trip. I got home in just 275 miles today. Also, please note that I am almost 5 times as old as Logan is. Some of us old dudes can still travel. My longest 7 day trip was about 1550 miles.

EEK!!!!

I agree, it depends on YOUR physical condition, and the type of roads, etc.... I would possibly find it very stressful on the Expressway with people flying up on you going 85+, and stopping on a dime for traffic in front of you in their new cars with 14" brembo brakes....... Know anybody along the way you could stop and visit/possibly stay with to take your time and enjoy the trip more?

My .02

James
RudyOnWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:34 AM   #15
Bruce

A favorite family story is that my Grandfather bought a new Model T in 1925 and drove from Taylorville (south of Springfield Illinois) to Cleveland Ohio in three days. He and my Grandmother and my 5-year-old father camped in farmer's front yards on the way.
Surely you can match that, given your overdrive and our much-improved secondary roads!
Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote