Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-01-2020, 04:10 PM   #1
packrat6

Default roof/door trim rail.....perplexed

I am working on a 1930 fordor sedan.....Briggs. There is a rail/trim piece which is is mounted above the doors and runs the length of the car from windshield to behind the rearmost side window immediately above the doors. It curves down on the tail end. It is nailed into the wood frame and serves as a molding between the tops of the door frame openings and the roof panels above. It also, judging by its shape, serves as a drip rail (gutter) to shed water off the doors/windows.

So.... I can find no mention of the piece in any reference material i can access in manuals, catalogs or on line. Would like to know it "official name" so i can at least refer to it properly. The nails which attach it to the wood frame are built into this rail (it appears to be a two piece deal pressed together). It is about 75 inches long. It has what looks to be a heavy paper or cardboard "backing" perhaps for squeak supression??.

I have talked with the parts guru at Brattons and he said he is not familiar with this piece or its "gasket". I feel like maybe i am not using the right terms to explain.

Feedback appreciated.
packrat6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 04:20 AM   #2
shew01

Default Re: roof/door trim rail.....perplexed

Quote:
Originally Posted by packrat6 View Post
I am working on a 1930 fordor sedan.....Briggs. There is a rail/trim piece which is is mounted above the doors and runs the length of the car from windshield to behind the rearmost side window immediately above the doors. It curves down on the tail end. It is nailed into the wood frame and serves as a molding between the tops of the door frame openings and the roof panels above. It also, judging by its shape, serves as a drip rail (gutter) to shed water off the doors/windows.

So.... I can find no mention of the piece in any reference material i can access in manuals, catalogs or on line. Would like to know it "official name" so i can at least refer to it properly. The nails which attach it to the wood frame are built into this rail (it appears to be a two piece deal pressed together). It is about 75 inches long. It has what looks to be a heavy paper or cardboard "backing" perhaps for squeak supression??.

I have talked with the parts guru at Brattons and he said he is not familiar with this piece or its "gasket". I feel like maybe i am not using the right terms to explain.

Feedback appreciated.

Can you post some pictures?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 09:35 AM   #3
jw hash

sounds like he is talking drip rails
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 12:34 PM   #4
1930artdeco

Yep Drip rails. Gasket, that I would like to see as well.

Mike
Old 10-02-2020, 01:50 PM   #5
packrat6

I agree with "drip rails". However, i didn't find any such animal or its gasket at brattons, snyders or macs. I just felt it was odd that there is no mention of them. Trying to post pics but doesn't seem to be allowing me to do so here. guess i will resurrect the old ones and get some thin gasket paper and make my own gaskets.
Old 10-02-2020, 01:54 PM   #6
jetmek

Not all that familiar with that body style but shouldnt that ba spot welded to the body not nailed on like a tudor?
Old 10-02-2020, 04:32 PM   #7
Bob C

Looks like A-168274-BR Moulding (roof side drip) R. H. 155-D, 165-D
A-168275-BR Moulding (roof side drip) L.H. 155-D, 165-D
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 05:50 PM   #8
packrat6

what is the secret to uploading pics......can't seem to make it happen.???
Old 10-03-2020, 09:26 AM   #9
rotorwrench

The Briggs and Murray sedan bodies only have a metal skin over the wood structural element. The drip rails are not reproduced and it's even getting harder to source the moldings that go around the top fabric. If they are missing then a person either has to find some good ones that are at least repairable out there or they would have to try to reproduce a facsimile of the originals. The skin under them has holes for the nails to install them and the wood is directly under the metal skin. This is just the way that the lower production bodies were made by Briggs and Murray.

The bodies made by Briggs and Murray are difficult to restore so a lot of folks shy away from them unless they have been well kept and all their rare pieces are still there and in good condition. Restoration of the Fordor and Cabriolet cars are amongst the most difficult with exception to the Station Wagon types and it's mostly due to the extensive use of wood.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 10-03-2020 at 09:35 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 09:41 AM   #10
shew01

Default roof/door trim rail.....perplexed

Quote:
Originally Posted by packrat6 View Post
what is the secret to uploading pics......can't seem to make it happen.???

I use Tapatalk on an iPhone, and picture upload is fairly straightforward.

If you are using a web browser, picture upload is more complicated. There is an “Insert Image” button just above the scroll box where you type your message. If you click on that, it prompts for a web location (today). I haven’t used a web browser in a while to upload pictures to the Ford Barn. There should be a “Manage Images” button (or something like that) somewhere on that page, but I can’t find it today. The inability to post pictures is a frequent complaint. It’s not overly intuitive. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 02:11 PM   #11
packrat6

i keep getting a message saying i do not have the "security token" wtf that is.