Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-24-2023, 07:39 PM   #1
Kinsley

Default wiring harness modification

My car's harness is for no cowl lights, therefore, two wires on the light group for the park bulbs in the headlights. To power my cowls, should I repurpose one of the parklight wires? Based on Andrews' Mech. H. B. V II, I should be able to strip out one of the parklight wires to attach to my cowl harness. Or, is there an alternative that would leave the park wires intact?
This harness also has a third wire ( black ) coming off the battery group with the stop ( green ) and alternator ( yellow ) wires. Is this going to the tail light?
The only reason I can think of to not disturb the park wires is if I want to add the second bulb in the headlights. Then the question becomes, can a third wire be added to the park lug for the cowls, leaving the park wires dormant? I may add turn signals later.
Kinsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 05:50 AM   #2
nkaminar

Default Re: wiring harness modification

Sit down with a pencil and paper and draw out your existing wiring diagram. Label the wires and designate the colors or use colored pencils to signify the colors of the wires. Use your multi meter to determine which wires are hot when the switch is in different positions including off. Then make a copy of the wiring diagram and modify it by adding the turn signals and/or cowl lights. The people who sell the turn indicators publish wiring diagrams that are helpful. You can either re purpose the wires or use a Y connection to run to both.

People either use the parking bulbs in the headlights or the cowl lights or separate lights for the turn indicators. I use the cowl lights which have yellow lenses and bright LED bulbs. Parking lights are very seldom used these days. You could use all three lights if you wanted to make sure people understood your turning intentions.

You can buy antique looking colored wires from https://restorationstuff.com/catalog...atalog2020.pdf. If you are using LED's you only need 14 gauge wire. If you have a 6 volt system and are using incandescent bulbs use 12 gauge. Use modern crimp connectors, not solder, with a ratchet type crimper. If you want it to look antique, remove the plastic insulators from the connectors and cover with black heat shrink tubing.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.

Last edited by nkaminar; 08-25-2023 at 06:05 AM.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 07:01 AM   #3
Kinsley

Default Re: wiring harness modification

Thanks, nkaminar.
Kinsley is offline   Reply With Quote