Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-01-2014, 01:28 PM   #1
30FordA50

Default Cupholder Dash Mount

Hey everyone,
I have seen many people with the cup holders installed and I got one a little while back and can't seem to get excited about the way I have it mounted. I'm hoping someone here can give me the right idea on how to mount it flush.

I found a nut in my spare parts cup and tightened it up to the back of the cupholder. The best I could do was to pinch it somewhat snug but on an odd angle. It wigoes when pulled gently. I have a feeling that the d nut on the back of the dash is interfering wit a proper fit. Does anyone know what I can to to fix this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20141101_142037.jpg (28.9 KB, 270 views)
File Type: jpg 20141101_142029.jpg (17.8 KB, 204 views)
30FordA50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 07:47 PM   #2
Brother Hesekiel

Default Re: Cupholder Dash Mount

I wonder what cup holders Model A drivers used back in the day. Surely they too would needed to drink something, sometimes, most likely even out of a cup. How did they do it?

Brother Hesekiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 10:24 PM   #3
Flathead

Hipflask?
Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 10:33 PM   #4
Smog Tech

I didn't like the way it mounted either. I drilled a new mounting hole about 5/16 lower in the cup holder. Very secure now.
Smog Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 09:23 AM   #5
Terry,NJ

I used a piece of sheet 18ga. I attached a piece of ash to the bottom. I had cut out a large hole for the cup. I made the sheet metal long enough to reach two of the screws that hold the dash rail! I then slid the cup holder under the dash rail, replaced the screws, and "Viola", My mod. A has a cupholder. The longest part of this project was waiting for the paint to dry!
Terry
Terry,NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 09:32 AM   #6
Lona

Maybe I need to do a little more work on our roadster to get it running smoother. No way I could keep even an almost full cup in a dash holder from splashing all over the dash and floor, especially on our local winding and bumpy country roads. If we used the grandkid's sippy cups it might work............Glen
'36 Auburn Boattail Speedster replica
Lona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 08:37 PM   #7
gpits68

I decided to mount mine on the floor centered against the seat with some modifications .i did not like the sharp edges of the cup holder in case of an accident on the dash rail . A fire extinguisher is mounted to the right of it .
gpits68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 09:18 PM   #8
Quigley1930

I bought one from West Marine #2126860. It folds up and when open protrudes very little from the dash rail. I can send some pics if you want. Go to www.westmarine.com to see it.

Sewall Tyler
Quigley1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 10:55 PM   #9
Tom Wesenberg

Drinking and driving is illegal, so I don't have any holder.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 11:21 PM   #10
160B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quigley1930 View Post
..................West Marine #2126860. It folds up and when open protrudes very little from the dash rail....................www.westmarine.com to see it.
Sewall Tyler
Here is a photo of the item. I would like to see how you mounted the unit. I do not like the ones made out of welded round stock as they would really cause some damage in an accident.

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 02:33 AM   #11
45GPW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Hesekiel View Post
I wonder what cup holders Model A drivers used back in the day. Surely they too would needed to drink something, sometimes, most likely even out of a cup. How did they do it?
I doubt Model A drivers ever had, or ever gave any thought to, any kind of cup holder at the time, except for their own hands. Add 3 or 4 decades for later cars too. Cars didn't start coming with built-in cup holders until the 1970s, although some earlier ones had indents in the glove box door where you could set a cup, but certainly couldn't drive and have it stay there.

No disposable cups with lids, and certainly no Styrofoam cups of any sort. People used Thermos bottles, poured a little bit into the cup, drank it, put the cup back on the top of the Thermos bottle. The passenger would pour some for the driver; the driver would drink and hand it back to the passenger. Same with cigarettes--passenger would light one for the driver and hand it over.

No distracted driving reaching for things; and therefore, no need for more than one taillight either.
45GPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:20 AM   #12
George Miller

I made mine out of ash, and mounted it on the floor. The ones on the dash look scarey to me sticking way out. You could get hurt bad in a accident.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 05:46 PM   #13
Quigley1930

I drilled a new hole between the two top ones. I did countersink it. Then removed the oval head screw and used a 1/4" flat head machine screw. Snug it up that's all you need. See photos.

Sewall
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03204 (Small).JPG (50.1 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03205 (Small).JPG (54.9 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03206 (Small).JPG (56.1 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03207 (Small).JPG (61.3 KB, 113 views)
Old 11-03-2014, 05:52 PM   #14
Quigley1930

Memory ain't what it used to be Hole was already there

Sewall
Old 11-03-2014, 06:18 PM   #15
w.michael

I LOVE my cup holder. I use it every time I get in the coupe. I ordered the holder made by Bert's. It mounts under the dash rail and does not require any modification to the car. It even came with a longer oval headed screw. Now I did have to drill a new hole in the cup holder to get it to line up right. I'm not sure why that was necessary--probably I was doing something wrong.

However, as mentioned by Lona in post #6, liquid splashes out all over the place with an open cup. My coupe just vibrates too much. Even in a coffee cup with a lid, coffee will splash out the little hole. A foam rubber cozy helps. I also use Gatorade bottles with screw caps, and just replace the cap after every sip. It's worth it. I can now drink coffee and Gatorade (the diet variety, of course) as I motor along. This is one of the best accessories you can have, right after turn signals.

W. Michael
w.michael is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:38 PM   #16
Tom Wesenberg

The Dollar Store (Familly Dollar) has very nice large plastic glasses with a screw on lid and straw that locks in with the lid, and they come in a variety of colors. These can't splash out juice.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 03:30 PM   #17
30FordA50

Hey guys,

After reading about Smog Tech and w. Michael needing to re-drill the hole in the cup holder itself, I think that is the way I will have to go. On more closer examination, the cup holder will not lay flush with the back of the dashboard. I now plan to make a new hole that sits lower into the mount. The part that bends right before the screw hole makes contact with the dash and throws off its ability to lay flush. I wonder if other model As' can mount it flush and my Town Sedan is a little different than what it was designed from.

I also am going to try to find something to lay against the dash and the mount to create some shock absorption. Any suggestions? I am thinking about trying a spring, memory foam or rubber to try and keep my drinks from vibrating out of the cup.

Thanks for the advice,
Dennis
30FordA50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 03:56 PM   #18
CarlG

The cup holder I have is one I bought from an ad in either the News or Restorer. Might be the same one Bert's has, not sure. But there were no mods to install it. As to spilling stuff, I use the spill proof mugs that Costco sells (Contigo brand), and if soda, I get the plastic bottles with screw lids. (An open can of soda will go flat in about 5 miles!) Added benefit of this holder is the places on it to clip things like my wife's smart phone and/or iPod.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 04:00 PM   #19
racingrufus

I bought one from the vendors that slips over the shift lever and sitts on the floor. It will hold two cups and also has a shift lever boot built in. It seams to have less vibratlon with it sitting on the floor and it does not cost much more than the metal one that goes behind the dash rail.
racingrufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 04:52 PM   #20
jambottle

I use a jambottle!