Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-24-2014, 09:11 AM   #1
caboose

Default Rim strips, big ones and little ones

I did a forum search, but no luck; so my apologies if this topic has been discussed previously. I have not removed my old tires, so I don’t know the condition of the inside of the rims. My thought was to include rim strips when I ordered tires and tubes. Then, I ran across two sizes of rim strips, 2” and 5”. In the photo, the 5” strip appears to be contoured; hence, I suppose the nonlinear price scale. My first thought was the 5” strips would do wonders by covering possible rough areas inside the rim; but, then, it occurred to me that if the strips did not fit almost perfectly, there could be more problems created, than solved. Any ideas, suggestions, past experiences?
caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:23 AM   #2
Neal

Default Re: Rim strips, big ones and little ones

The 5 inch strip sounds more like a flap than strip. A tire flap is used on split rims and is placed inside the tire after the tube is placed in the tire. Then the tire, tube, flap is placed on the rim together.

I would think the 2 inch strip is what is placed on the rim covering the bumps from the spokes.

Neal
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 01:18 PM   #3
glenn in camino

I don't think strips or flaps were used at the factory. If your rims are really smooth on the inside, you don't need them
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:06 PM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

The original rim liners for the cars were a thick paper or cardboard around the recessed part of the rim. I have one wheel with the original paint and liner.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 04:25 PM   #5
Purdy Swoft

I have used the narrow style on model A wheels to cover the spoke humps inside the wheels . I see that Brattons has them listed as about one and one half inch wide. Snyders has them listed at about one inch wide . Both list for $2.50 each . Snyders has flaps that covers most of the inside of the rim for $27.95 each . There is a big difference in the price in the narrow liners and the wider flaps . I once had to us a flap on a 20 inch AA wheel . A lot depends on how rusty and pitted the inside of the wheel is. Back in the 70s I had some rusty pitted on the inside 19 inch wheels that caused problems and I made my own wheel liners . I got 4 used throw away 15 inch tubes and cut the inner section to the width that I needed, cut out the old valve stem and streched them over the pitted wheels . This worked for me and only cost about 30 minutes work to cut them out .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 04:30 PM   #6
Mitch//pa
BANNED

buy the 2" for a couple bucks each is all youll need cheap insurance
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:29 PM   #7
brito36

I own a very low mileage(9,000 mile) AA stake bed truck. Two tears ago, I removed the original tires from the rims because the rubber was falling off. When I took them apart, each one had a rim liner about 5 or 6 inches wide. They appeared to be just like the rim liners found in split rim tube type truck tires (10 x 20). A word of caution: Have a tire dealer who specializes in truck tires inflate them for you. They are equipped with a tire cage to safely inflate the tires.
brito36 is offline   Reply With Quote