Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-05-2020, 11:30 AM   #1
Owlseye

Default 33 BB door striker spring

Hello again. On the drivers door of my 1933 BB truck the coiled striker pin spring has broken. MAC parts lists several for the passenger cars, but not much on the trucks. 2 questions here. Does anyone know which spring to use for the trucks, and how does one install said spring into the latch? From what I can see there is a slight difference between the truck latch and the passenger car latch body. On the springs themselves the difference seems to be the clocking of the spring for proper push tension. I ordered all 3 early springs to use the best one for the job. $21 worth of springs seems better than $200 for the latch if I can make them work.
So how do you install the new spring into it's center retainer so that you can make it push the latch pin out? Thanks, John
Owlseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 12:32 PM   #2
Krylon32

Default Re: 33 BB door striker spring

United Pacific part number B20012LSP
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 03:16 PM   #3
Owlseye

Now how do I put the new one on? The old one was broken so it fell off. How do you get the new one in the slot without totally distorting it?
Old 10-06-2020, 09:19 AM   #4
Owlseye

Does anyone know of a way? The new spring will be here Wednesday and I'd like to put it back together without damaging it. I looked in the files and archives and didn't find an answer for the truck doors. Pictures of sedan and coupe locks which are different. Please help.
Old 10-06-2020, 09:59 AM   #5
Bob C

Can you look at the passenger door to get an idea??
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 10:08 AM   #6
Krylon32

Check for installs on 32 Ford latches as all 32 cars except the 3 window use the same latch as the 33 BB truck.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 12:37 PM   #7
DavidG

By latch pin I am assuming that it is the tongue in the latch assembly located on the door and not the springs within the female dovetail located on the cab's B pillar. If so, Krylon's comment applies as there is no difference in the truck cab's latches and those of nearly all of the '32 passenger car, commercial vehicle, and big truck doors except the length of the link between the latch itself and the inside door handle.

When dealing with '32-'34 truck cab components, it can be a little confusing as very few of those components have BB part number prefixes, but rather have B or 40 part number prefixes. Your door latch is a case in point as the pair carry the part number B-80105 and 6-B. In fact, every last component in your cab's doors have B-prefix part numbers as they are a direct carryover from the '32 cab.
DavidG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 04:44 PM   #8
Owlseye

OK I have looked at the posts and my question is how do you get the inner spring tang into the loop, U shaped center? Do you pry the loop out and then put it back? How do you keep from breaking the little ear flanges that retain it?
Old 10-07-2020, 01:39 PM   #9
Owlseye

Any ideas? Also what is the best way to remove the upper hinge pin on the right door? I am trying to put a long arm mirror on that side.
Old 10-07-2020, 05:13 PM   #10
DavidG

Bob Drake sells a hinge pin extractor or at least he used to. Worn hinges/hinge pins can make removal of the pins a real chore.
DavidG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 06:56 PM   #11
Zeke3

I have had good success with Bob Drake's hinge pin extractor. It is also compact enough to remove clevis pins on the 1937 brake cross shaft.
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 10:02 PM   #12
Owlseye

I ended up drilling the hinge pin to weaken it, then drifting the remains out of the hinge. Now I have a vintage LONG arm mirror on the right side so that I can see around the grain bed & walls. Still trying to figure out the latch spring install. It looks like either the green or black spring should work once I figure how to put it on.
Old 10-09-2020, 04:20 PM   #13
Owlseye

Well after a few choice words and a lot of prying I got the spring in place. May not have been done the right way, but it's on and works. Used the black spring and don't want to have to do it again. Now next week it gets new seat covers and cushioning, also new window channels so they don't rattle to death. See you at Fall/Turkey Rod Run in Daytona.