Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-19-2021, 08:13 AM   #1
1967 Camaro

Default 1957 Thunderbird Heater Valve

I need a recommendation on the best place to buy a new heater valve. Previous one suffered an internal rupture. It doesn't look to be really old so I'm wondering if it is one of low quality. Thanks for any suggestions!
1967 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 09:42 AM   #2
dmsfrr

Default Re: 1957 Thunderbird Heater Valve

I suspect the new replacements are all made in the far-east somewhere.
My 2 cents worth... they cost too much for how long they don't last. I have brass or steel 90° elbows for my two project Birds.

If you're using a 'large opening' aftermarket thermostat the bottom end of the heater valve elbow fitting may interfere with the thermostat. (3rd photo)
More thermostat info at this link...
https://www.classictbird.com/Thermos...uctinfo/8575C/

If you want a new oem style valve, I suggest calling Hill's, Casco, Prestige or Concours for T-Bird parts, speak directly with a 'tech help' or 'parts' person and ask for their recommendation.
https://hillsresto.com/thunderbird-center/

https://www.classictbird.com/

http://prestigethunderbird.com/

https://concoursparts.com/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2 heater hose elbows.jpg (51.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg heater elbow, copy.jpg (59.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg heater valve, cut.jpg (79.0 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 04-19-2021 at 11:21 AM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 10:37 AM   #3
55blacktie

You can eliminate the vacuum-controlled heater valve and replace it with a mechanical valve. The conversion kit costs less than $100 and is offered by most T-bird parts vendors. I've seen both plastic and metal mechanical control valves, but can't say which is better. You can probably find something similar at your local auto parts store, and it will be cheaper. Unless I'm missing something, dmsfrr's 90-degree elbows will eliminate your heater and defroster, unless he, too, converted to the mechanical valve, which would be located closer to the firewall, not on the engine.
55blacktie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 11:02 AM   #4
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55blacktie View Post
You can eliminate the vacuum-controlled heater valve and replace it with a mechanical valve. The conversion kit costs less than $100 and is offered by most T-bird parts vendors. I've seen both plastic and metal mechanical control valves, but can't say which is better. You can probably find something similar at your local auto parts store, and it will be cheaper. Unless I'm missing something, dmsfrr's 90-degree elbows will eliminate your heater and defroster, unless he, too, converted to the mechanical valve, which would be located closer to the firewall, not on the engine.
The open elbow replaces the oem style coolant control valve. Coolant circulates thru the heater core continuously. As opposed to being able to shut it off with the oem style valve or one of the after-market conversion kits.

The heater box in my running car has the heated-air vents closed, but I'm not sure how much heat it's actually keeping out of the car during the summer.
I did buy one of the heater valve conversion kits for the disassembled car, hoping it will be a convenient solution.
https://www.classictbird.com/Manual-...tinfo/18495MK/

Last edited by dmsfrr; 04-20-2021 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-19-2021, 11:30 AM   #5
KULTULZ

Post Re: 1957 Thunderbird Heater Valve

Quote:
This kit basically replaces the front valve 18495, spider valve 18502, and cable 18518 with a manual valve that installs in the heater hose between the water pump and the heater core. The new manual vale is controlled with the original dash lever marked LOW - TEMP - HIGH. Water comes from the top of the intake manifold and through the heater core and back to the suction side of the water pump.
This kit replaces the OEM intake manifold mounted heater control valve which is now replaced only with CHI-COM junk.

What is a spider valve ...

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 11:48 AM   #6
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
This kit replaces the OEM intake manifold mounted heater control valve which is now replaced only with CHI-COM junk.
Both styles of replacement parts are made of chineseium. You can't win unless you try NOS, NORS or a used original coolant control valve on the intake manif, all with 60 yr old rubber parts inside.
Quote:
What is a spider valve ...
The "spider valve" is on the side of the heater box above the passenger side floor. A heater control cable from the dashboard opens & closes the vacuum line that activates the coolant control valve on the front of the intake manifold.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg heater vac hoses & heater valve c.jpg (100.6 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 04-20-2021 at 11:26 AM.
Old 04-19-2021, 01:10 PM   #7
KULTULZ

Talking Re: 1957 Thunderbird Heater Valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsfrr View Post

The spider valve is on the side of the heater box above the passenger side floor. A heater control cable from the dashboard opens & closes the vacuum line that activates the coolant control valve on the front of the intake manifold.
I know what a HEATER TEMPERATURE CONTROL VALVE (18502) is and where it is located and function.

I thought maybe a SPIDER VALVE had something to do with a spider's heart surgical procedure.

Where do some of these names come from?

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

Old 04-19-2021, 01:42 PM   #8
55blacktie

Do we have a racist in our mist?
55blacktie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 02:51 PM   #9
KULTULZ

Question Re: 1957 Thunderbird Heater Valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55blacktie View Post

Do we have a racist in our mist?
Well, No.1 the correct word/spelling is m-i-d-s-t snow flake.

And 'our' is referring to what group of people here?

Your first post here was a bitching session as opposed to an introduction (THANK YOU FOR NOT) and at y-blocksforum you attempted to act as a FORUM MODULATOR.

Are you for real or just another gas bubble in my butt?

... Watch For Return of Irritating Sex Jokes ...

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 04-19-2021, 06:31 PM   #10
5851a

Does C&G Ford parts still rebuild them on your core? Or was it just earlier built in models?
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 09:29 PM   #11
KULTULZ

Yes, they advertise rebuilding either - https://cgfordparts.com/wwwsectionfi...rol_valve.html

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 04-20-2021, 08:29 AM   #12
Daddio

I've gone thru 3 of these #@&% things!

The first was original, the second was a NOS which, as already mentioned, had 50 year old rubber seals in it and leaked within a couple years.

So I got one from a Tbird supplier and it's worked for a few years so far ......

Mine leaked coolant, but the vacuum diaphragms worked fine, so I can't see the sense in changing to a mechanical valve since the seals are probably the same.
Daddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 08:46 AM   #13
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: 1957 Thunderbird Heater Valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddio View Post

... I can't see the sense in changing to a mechanical valve since the seals are probably the same.
... hmmpf ...

GOOD POINT. Never thought of it that way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HEATER - BIRD Control Valve Retro-Fit Kit.jpg (77.8 KB, 18 views)

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 04-20-2021, 09:50 AM   #14
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5851a View Post
Does C&G Ford parts still rebuild them on your core? Or was it just earlier built in models?
Quote:
Yes, they advertise rebuilding either - https://cgfordparts.com/wwwsectionfi...rol_valve.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddio View Post
I've gone thru 3 of these #@&% things!
Mine leaked coolant, but the vacuum diaphragms worked fine, so I can't see the sense in changing to a mechanical valve since the seals are probably the same.
At that linked C & G page I'm seeing six listings for other style *rebuilt* heater control valves but only one entry for the more upright style, and it doesn't say "rebuilt". It only seems to be available from them as a new replacement.

I originally chose to go with a plain metal elbow at the front of the intake to avoid the cost and aggravation of picking between two choices of semi-expensive off-shore parts that fail too quickly.
Yes the coolant circulates thru the heater core all the time but the ductwork between the fan and heater core is easy to block off (if needed) with a piece of cardboard or even a clean shop rag. An added benefit could be less corrosion buildup in the heater core???

I considered an elbow with a built-in hand operated valve (didn't like the look) or even removing all the heater hardware but wanted to retain a decent resemblance to how the car was originally built.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 04-20-2021 at 01:38 PM.
Old 04-20-2021, 11:16 AM   #15
yblock57

I recently bought a new heater valve from CASCO to replace one that was about 12 years old. Car sat a lot, so can't say for sure it was the valve's fault. No issues yet with the new one... **knock on wood**

CASCO Valve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1803.jpg (47.9 KB, 13 views)

'56 F-100 | '56 Crown Vic | '57 Fairlaine 500 | '57 Thunderbird
yblock57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 05:25 PM   #16
Gene F

My 57 Skyliner has never had a valve the whole time I have owned it. Of course, there is a door, and floor vets. 99% of the time the top is down anyways. I never much even gave it a thought until I read this thread. Interesting...
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 12:09 AM   #17
KULTULZ

... hmmph ...

Just a thought, IMO of course.

I never liked seeing the things on a FYB engine but I understand the need on a correct restoration. I like the idea of an elbow on the intake and an inline CONTROL VALVE in the inlet line to the heater core. These are available either vacuum or cable and can be sourced through MOTORCRAFT or DELCO.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 04-21-2021, 12:23 AM   #18
KULTULZ

Red face Re: 1957 Thunderbird Heater Valve

Quote:
At that linked C & G page I'm seeing six listings for other style *rebuilt* heater control valves but only one entry for the more upright style, and it doesn't say "rebuilt". It only seems to be available from them as a new replacement.
That was my mistake. I did not fully comprehend the text. That 3rd grade remedial reading class huKT oN foNiX - werx 4 mee seems to have left a little to be desired.

Here is another re-builder. He shows 18502 but maybe he does the 18495?

- http://heatercontrolvalve.com/

- WHY IS IT ... -