Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-24-2019, 03:18 AM   #1
my4dv8

Default 32 Window crank handle riser spring

We were away this weekend in our 32 and the drivers window failed to go up.
Upon examination at home one of the Vintique lift arms had popped out of the track . The cranks turns but seem to jump about every 1/3 turn .So pulled the whole assembly out. Removed the crank handles cup cover that’s riveted to the crank frame . Upon examination i decided that (I think) the internal spring in the cup has a missing ear that I think should catch on the the little leg of the internal sleeve. And the other end probably has a matching attachment point.
Hopefully someone understands my ramblings.
So does anyone know where to get just the spring ?or do I need the whole repair kit?
my4dv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 08:25 AM   #2
Terry,OH

Default Re: 32 Window crank handle riser spring

The spring in the cup adds friction to the winding mechanism so the weight of the window does not cause the regulator to move when in any partial position, the window should stay where it is. The OD of the spring rubs on the ID of the cup and has a I doubt that is your problem, since it would not effect the ability of the regulator to raise or lower the window. You want to look for gears that are not staying meshed. The window channel under the glass may be too wide in some areas allowing the regulator arm to pop out of the channel look for a problem there also.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03016.JPG (148.3 KB, 21 views)
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 01:06 PM   #3
my4dv8

Thanks , thats was my thoughts also. Its all relatively new ,well 10,000 miles , vintique stuff ,more than likely off shore. The gears all look good . Perhaps the window just went down too far somehow and the leg jumped out of the larger round hole in the track.but that doesn’t explain why it feels like the crank feels like it jumps every 1/3 of a rotation .

Last edited by my4dv8; 11-24-2019 at 01:13 PM.
Old 11-24-2019, 04:42 PM   #4
TJ

The should be a top on the inside of the door that contains a rubber bumper. It's attached to the inner door panel.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 01:00 PM   #5
my4dv8

The window sits on both rubber stops. It only seems to skip on going down cranking up is good. The channel is the same age as the winder mechanism, 10,000 miles. I haven’t had a chance to get the window glass out yet it sure is a tight fit to get it out the top . If I don’t need to get it out , it can stay there .
Old 12-30-2019, 07:45 PM   #6
my4dv8

Replaced the whole regulator with an unbranded one , old one was “vintique” . Darn they are ever so slightly different , meaning i fixed my glass track on to suit “vintique” and the new one doesnt quite match so jams going up when the arms reach the end and turn to go up. Yes I could shorten both arms a little ,but no wont do that.
Any way , thought I would splurge a little and buy a $14 regulator cup and small gear etc.
So the long story is the $14 fix worked. So it was the small internal spring in the regulator cup that caused the initial problem .