Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-03-2016, 09:05 PM   #1
kwisor

Default need wheel alignment

I have just got my car on the road and have put about 700 miles on it in about 2 mounts today I noticed that the rt frt tire has worn out no tread left all four tires where the same before, I have a wilco wheel positioner but never used one or ever did a wheel alignment. has anyone used one of these. if so how good is it . I hope I do it wright
kevin 1930 tudor
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IM000226.jpg (39.1 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg IM000227.jpg (46.3 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg IM000228.jpg (34.9 KB, 56 views)
kwisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 09:17 PM   #2
KGBnut

Default Re: need wheel alignment

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that those gizmos are only used for adjusting caster and camber, but a Model A has no such adjustments. The only adjustment is for toe-in.

Search the forums and you will find lots of information (and opinions) about adjusting toe.

Ken
Old 09-03-2016, 09:24 PM   #3
kwisor

in the manual it shows you how to adj the toe
kevin
Old 09-03-2016, 10:06 PM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

I have a very old Snap On toe-in gauge, but if I was you, I'd do it the easy way. Just put a piece of masking tape on the front of each tire, and mark an X on the tape. Measure the distance between the two X's then roll the car forward until the X's are about 8" above the ground on the backside. Now measure the distance between them again, and it should be about 1/16" to 3/32". This might be slightly more than the Ford spec, but the Ford spec is taken on the side of the tire, so the distance between the front and rear measurements would be less, but the tow-in angle is the same.

This is how I set my toe-in 15 years ago and the tires are wearing great.

BTW, this is on the temporary front axle I'm using while I restore the original, and this has worn out sloppy king pin bushings, but still has NO death wobble.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 10:19 PM   #5
fordcragar

The way I check toe is to jack each wheel/tire just off of the ground. The I'll take a jack stand to hold a pen or nail; which I'll position against the tire that will mark a line around the tire as it is rotated. Then I'll do the same to the other side. Now you have reference lines on each tire that can be used to measure the front and back of each wheel to determine the difference between them.

This is all basically the same as what Tom Wesenberg just described in the previous post, just a slightly different way.
fordcragar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 10:29 PM   #6
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
As you have read there is only one adjustment that can easily be made when it comes to the wheel alignment, toe in. Caster and Camber needs things bent to make the adjustments. Do you have a shop near you that does trucks? Check with them and see if they can do straight axle vehicles.
Old 09-04-2016, 12:09 AM   #7
Synchro909

Mike beat me to it.
Old 09-04-2016, 01:00 AM   #8
Floats

Kevin,
If you suspect a problem with your front end and you really want to know the caster and camber values, download an inclinometer app on your cel phone. I loaded 'angle pro' in a few minutes. You might not be able to adjust the C&C, but at least you would know if you are close or if you need to do something drastic about it.
I works great and within seconds I found that my caster angle was incorrect because of a sagging front spring.
28 Model A RPU, 29 Chevy Phaeton, 67 E Type FHC, 67 250SL Pagoda, 83 911 SC
Floats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 01:34 AM   #9
fordcragar

Hey Floats, very cool app, thanks for sharing. If you are checking camber with this, you might want to put a straight edge across the upper and lower surfaces of the tire or wheel be placing your phone on it.
fordcragar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 06:57 AM   #10
Dollar Bill

Improper toe in will not wear out just one tire - Yours may not be correct but there is something else going on with your front end. Bad toe settings will feather the tread and will be hard to steer in a straight line.
Old 09-04-2016, 07:17 AM   #11
captndan

Every alignment shop I checked said if it ain't on the computer it can't be done. Finally found this one fellow that had a rose bud and a six foot bar next to the rack. He said bring it in.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 07:39 AM   #12
kwisor

her are photos of frt tires the bold one came off the rt frt the lt one is on the lt frt went to use the machine I have but will not fit my wheels when put on they had the same amount of tread that was about 2 mounts and around 700 miles
kevin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IM000230.jpg (70.2 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IM000229.jpg (64.6 KB, 38 views)
Old 09-04-2016, 07:42 AM   #13
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by captndan View Post
Every alignment shop I checked said if it ain't on the computer it can't be done. Finally found this one fellow that had a rose bud and a six foot bar next to the rack. He said bring it in.
You were given wrong info..
They were all just to lazy to help you out.....
And even if you couldn't add a custom car into the computer which you can on most, just punch in any car and you will still be able to see your cars as is settings as well as being able to do the adjustments to the specs you desire

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 09-04-2016 at 07:50 AM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 07:49 AM   #14
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwisor View Post
her are photos of frt tires the bold one came off the rt frt the lt one is on the lt frt went to use the machine I have but will not fit my wheels when put on they had the same amount of tread that was about 2 mounts and around 700 miles
kevin
You should have noticed the uneven wear before now. You should do a regular maintenance check more than the oil and water. Looks like you need a couple new tires! Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 07:57 AM   #15
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Kev
You need to put your car on a computer rack and see what all your readings are... Then you'll know what adjustments are necessary and will be able to set it spot on.... Otherwise your guessing, basically the same as using sticks and rods

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 09-04-2016 at 08:30 AM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 08:15 AM   #16
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollar Bill View Post
Improper toe in will not wear out just one tire - Yours may not be correct but there is something else going on with your front end. Bad toe settings will feather the tread and will be hard to steer in a straight line.
I agree with Bill, and looking at the pictures it looks like you have a camber problem, if not more. Time to get the bending bars out.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 08:17 AM   #17
larrys40

Kevin,
As Mitch so well stated they should definately be able to check it out of where it's at now and do toe in to spec well as determine if your camber is out. Your front axle looks well greased but could have some other issues. Bent axle, wishbone, king pins worn, etc. I've done a lot of axle assemblies that "looked" good but had issues... I can almost guarantee yours has an issue somewhere.

Find a shop that has some of the modern laser equipment and a knowledgeable willing tech to help. The ones that have equipment but are too lazy would probably not care enough to check it out right anyway. It may cost you an alignment or inspection fee to check it out but it will be worth it. As said above if you can find a truck alignment type shop they are use to dealing with straight axles and service on them. I would probably start looking for a good axle/wishbone as you may need one as wearing out the one tire is more than a toe in issue. You could have a spindle issue as well. There's lots of hidden issues in front ends for sure.

If you need rebuilding of your front end I would find someone schooled at "A" mechanical expertise in your area. I use a vintage Duby gauge for toe in and it makes checking toe in a breeze. At least for me using wood blocks, string, tape on floor, etc is not accurate or consistent enough.

The cost of tire wear as well as driveability and safety is of great importance. Hopefully you can find the help you need.
Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote