Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-08-2016, 09:22 PM   #1
kwisor

Default pulling rear end tomorrow

hello
I will be pulling the rear end tomorrow to fix the clutch fork can you leave the starter on the eng to pull the transmission out or is it best to remove it
thank you
kevin
1930 tudor
1923 roadster p/u
kwisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:26 PM   #2
Joe K

Default Re: pulling rear end tomorrow

Starter can stay on the flywheel housing. You'll part the joint between the flywheel housing and the bell housing.

Still, it may give you "wiggle room" to remove the starter. With your body in place you may be thankful for that.

Joe K
Old 07-08-2016, 10:02 PM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

It's been a few years, but the last clutch I installed I think I removed the U joint for clearance. I left the starter in place.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 11:01 PM   #4
ian Simpson

When I replaced my clutch throw out bearing, I left the starter in place.
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 07:24 AM   #5
Terry, NJ

I don't know what "Pulling the rear" means to you, I didn't pull the rear to change the trans in my coupe. Just remove the bolts on the spring and roll it back and inch or two and push the torque tube out of the way. Removing the bell housing (and leaving the starter in place) from the flywheel housing gives plenty of access.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 10:44 AM   #6
Brianfrench65

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry, NJ View Post
I don't know what "Pulling the rear" means to you, I didn't pull the rear to change the trans in my coupe. Just remove the bolts on the spring and roll it back and inch or two and push the torque tube out of the way. Removing the bell housing (and leaving the starter in place) from the flywheel housing gives plenty of access.
Terry
Terry: the bolts on the spring you are referring to, are those the U bolts in the upper center of the spring?

Thank You;
Old 07-09-2016, 11:23 AM   #7
Terry, NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianfrench65 View Post
Terry: the bolts on the spring you are referring to, are those the U bolts in the upper center of the spring?

Thank You;
Yes! I'm sorry! In rereading it I see I didn't make that clear! DON"T TRY TO TAKE THE SPRING PERCH BOLT OUT! Model A springs can literally kill you. Very Dangerous! Don't ever disconnect the spring perch bolts with out a spreader. I had one almost hit me in the leg. It was a homemade spreader and the force of the spring bent the 3/4 adjusting screw instantaneously. When it bent it slipped out of position and flew across the work area. Pics in my profile under "My A" Yes. I was referring to the two U- bolts at the peak of the spring.
Old 07-09-2016, 05:56 PM   #8
Brianfrench65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry, NJ View Post
Yes! I'm sorry! In rereading it I see I didn't make that clear! DON"T TRY TO TAKE THE SPRING PERCH BOLT OUT! Model A springs can literally kill you. Very Dangerous! Don't ever disconnect the spring perch bolts with out a spreader. I had one almost hit me in the leg. It was a homemade spreader and the force of the spring bent the 3/4 adjusting screw instantaneously. When it bent it slipped out of position and flew across the work area. Pics in my profile under "My A" Yes. I was referring to the two U- bolts at the peak of the spring.
Terry; Awesome, thank you very much for the clarification.

I was not aware that you could sneak that apart at the U joint, without dropping the rear axle; brake rods, e brake rods and shocks.

This is a real time and effort saver. Thank you so very much for that piece of information.

Thank You;
Old 07-09-2016, 07:07 PM   #9
kwisor

hello terry
did you have to take the brake lines off or just drop and move the torque tube?
I was lucky I was able to fix from under the bell housing I took a pair of needle nose pliers put the pin in the clutch fork and use a punch to put it back in I found the pin broke in two in the bottom of the bell housing
kevin
1930 tudor
kwisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 07:44 PM   #10
Terry, NJ

Brian and Kevin, A few days ago I was complaining about my memory loss /mental overcrowding. This is an example of it. Sorry if there's any confusion. The shocks and brakes were not an issue because I have hyd. brakes and tube shocks. Both had enough flex in them that I recall just taking the spring clamp off and pushing it out of the way so I could remove the transmission and clutch. Now that I recall , I did have to release the E-brake cables, but again, this his someone else's design, not Ford. I try keeping the car all stock, but I don't bother to change what someone else has done. I'm no fan of Hyd Brakes since I got my other coupe which has the stock Mechanicals on it, and they're going to stay on it! Shocks? well, maybe due to the high cost of originals. Again, My apologies for any confusion!
Terry
Old 07-09-2016, 09:47 PM   #11
tbirdtbird
BANNED

you might wanna edit post #5; as it stands it is misleading for someone who has a stock setup; and not all future readers will read thru the entire thread to realize your comments were not meant for stock equipment