Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-02-2016, 06:26 PM   #1
kwisor

Default clutch release shaft arm broke

hello all put a new top on the car today went for a ride and the clutch started getting out of adj I made it home but could not disengage the clutch came on the barn looked up clutch and read a thread that the arm is bad for braking I looked at did not see anything so I adj the pressure plate arms because I had about a 2" play when i pressed the clutch that is when I found the crack I guess the pressure was to much now I will have to adj the arms again when I get the new arm luckily smith and jones is 2 miles from my house so will get a new one tue thanks to the barn I don't have to pull the transmission
kevin
1930 tudor
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IM000208.jpg (121.3 KB, 82 views)
kwisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 07:00 PM   #2
Marshall V. Daut

Default Re: clutch release shaft arm broke

Yes, this is becoming more and more common as the metals in our cars approach the 90 year mark in age. Parts that are subjected to heavy stress like the clutch arm are usually the first ones to break. This cracking clutch arm problem used to be a not very common occurrence until about 20 years ago. Then we began hearing increasingly on the Model A websites about cracking clutch arms. Their metallurgical time had come.
If you are not a purist and do a lot of driving - especially in-town with numerous clutch pedal uses per trip - opt for the heavy-duty arm sold by most vendors. It doesn't look anything like the original arm, but it's much stronger. Kiss points good-bye if your car is ever judged at a Model A meet. But they really work. I installed one of these maybe 18 years ago and see absolutely no deterioration at all. Too bad I can't say the same thing for the clutch that the arm operates!
Marshall

Last edited by Marshall V. Daut; 07-02-2016 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Changed "cone" to "come".
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 07:14 PM   #3
Vic in E-TN

Twenty years ago I had one break during a parade. I took it out later and found that it was made in India. I have used new USA ones and the HD ones without problems. When you take it out, see where it was made.

Vic
Vic in E-TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 07:14 PM   #4
Marshall V. Daut

By the way, Snyder's part number for the heavy-duty clutch shaft arm is A-7511-C @ $24.50 plus shipping. Well worth the money for its reliability and your peace of mind.
Marshall
Old 07-02-2016, 07:19 PM   #5
Marshall V. Daut

Another "by the way" comment: Should the original arm ever crack when you are out on the road, you can usually clamp it back together with a small vise grip well enough to get home. The arm's base will usually crack before it breaks in two and a piece comes off. You will feel the clutch pedal becoming softer and softer to push in as the crack opens up. If you can catch the crack in the arm's circular base (usually around the rivet) before it completely splits, you have a good chance of saving the day with your vise grips.
Marshall
Old 07-03-2016, 12:39 AM   #6
Synchro909

Never seen this happen but then again, we can't but a clutch release arm that fits. I usually make my own from scratch - no failures.
Old 07-03-2016, 12:27 PM   #7
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
Never seen this happen...
I had this happen ~1 1/2 years ago when we were about 3 miles from home. We drove it home.

Biggest problem was stop lights. Had to restart the engine in second gear from light. Good thing I had a strong battery (12v) and a well tuned engine.

I replaced it with the longer one from Bratton's that makes it easier on the left leg.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16157508441_0f14f3c515_z.jpg (12.1 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 07-03-2016 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Forgot the picture.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 05:50 PM   #8
Synchro909

Maybe I didn't express myself clearly enough. We can't buy a clutch arm because this is just one of the MANY items not available for a RHD car.
Old 07-03-2016, 08:57 PM   #9
Carb Guy

Same thing happened to me, out with the car and could not shift, made it home in second gear. Did not know this is a frequent problem. Asked on this forumn and did not hear about this happening. Pulled the rear end, tranmission, clutch pressure plate, clutch disc, flywheel. Bought all new parts, had flywheel and pressure plate balanced, new pilot bearing, new through out bearing, new gaskets, new fluids. Put it all back together and on the final steps discovered the arm was broken. To late now should be be good for a long time.

Last edited by Carb Guy; 07-03-2016 at 08:58 PM. Reason: spelling
Carb Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 05:48 PM   #10
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

Son of a gun happened to me yesterday on the way to the 4th of July, has happened before so I carry a drill and extra part with me., Going to replace with the new reproduction and the new trundle also
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 09:26 PM   #11
redmodelt

The arm would use the tapered splined pin (first photo above). When you install have a second set of hands hold an anvil under the arm so you don't fracture the case. Drive it in from the top. Just installed one of the modern type last Friday.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote