Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-03-2016, 10:31 AM   #1
Curt in AZ

Default Buying engine parts, what to avoid?

Getting ready to rebuild 8CM for my 53 F100. I've heard of junk parts, mostly from China. Are there some vendors/manfactures to avoid? Recently bought new ACDELCO wheel cylinders and was shocked to see they were made in China.
Curt in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 10:50 AM   #2
Ol' Ron

Default Re: Buying engine parts, what to avoid?

Yes, that's an issue we're stuck with. Most of the parts made in China are made by American companys that monitor the quality of the part, I bought brake drums for a 51 Merc and thy fit fine and seem to work just well. My only alturnative was used ones that were marginal and more expensive. I afree some is trash, but sometimes it's the only game in town.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 11:12 AM   #3
sidevalve8ba

That is what I find really disappointing. Major USA manufacturers having parts made in China. I certainly hope, at least to a certain degree, they are monitoring the quality of these part. But how are we the consumers supposed to know? Especially brands that we have relied upon for ages to be top quality. I don't want to find out literally by accident that the wheel cylinder, master cylinder, etc. that I normally use is not up to snuff.

Last edited by sidevalve8ba; 01-03-2016 at 01:40 PM.
sidevalve8ba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 11:15 AM   #4
51504bat

Try Red's Headers in Palm Desert, CA. A good guy to deal with IMO.

www.reds-headers.com

31410 Reserve Dr #4, Thousand Palms, CA 92276
760 343-2590
Old 01-03-2016, 11:52 AM   #5
GOSFAST

It's difficult to do any "decent" Flathead builds without relying on "off-shore' pieces, not too many American companies want to produce parts for ANY limited market, this is just a "fact-of-life" in todays world.

Personally I'm glad anyone is making the parts, it helps keep the hobby alive for many up here.

You can do a decent "general" rebuild with most all the OEM parts providing they are in good shape. Nowadays with so many doing strokers it's easier to just keep the kits here in stock with the off-shore parts. We use a number of these off-shore pieces, cranks/rods, etc, and haven't really had any major issues.

Two of the best areas for specific parts are the rings and the valve guides. We consider these to be most important at the end. We firmly believe in the "metric/moly" ring packs along with bronze-lined guides, have for over 40 years now (on the guides). We are also very careful with lifter purchasing, we want a specific vendor in this area.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Many times you never know where some of these parts are being mfd, for instance, King brgs is now producing the mains for the early Flatheads, these are off-shore pieces.
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 11:58 AM   #6
Rowdy
BANNED

This might not apply to what you are building, but from reading other threads avoid Scat cranks and Eagle rods. I am ad that info was posted as if I end up building my AV8 coupe project I was planning on buying the Scat stroker crank and rods. I am rethinking this and will require more research on my part. Rod
Old 01-03-2016, 12:44 PM   #7
flatheadmurre

The basic problem aint where the stuff is made...its us buying the absolutely cheapest stuff and then over and over complaining about quality.
China has some really nice stuff made to, but if you give someone a product and ask them to make it for 10% of the cost bad things will happen.
The real disaster is in the future when cost will catch up oversees and we have lost both production capacity and knowledge.
At that time money will just bleed out of our countries.
Low and uneven quality is a result from us accepting a lousy product just cause its cheap.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 01:08 PM   #8
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatheadmurre View Post
The basic problem aint where the stuff is made...its us buying the absolutely cheapest stuff and then over and over complaining about quality.
China has some really nice stuff made to, but if you give someone a product and ask them to make it for 10% of the cost bad things will happen.
The real disaster is in the future when cost will catch up oversees and we have lost both production capacity and knowledge.
Low and uneven quality is a result from us accepting a lousy product just cause its cheap.
TRUE, except for that part about "future production capacity and knowledge being lost".......it already IS GONE! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 01:42 PM   #9
sidevalve8ba

The basic problem is building something down to a price and not up to a standard.
Old 01-03-2016, 01:52 PM   #10
Rowdy
BANNED

Another part of the problem is the aging machines. When I worked for Monroe Auto Equipment most of our machines were made from the 40's through early 70's. They had been rebuilt many times and upgraded with PLC controls. Many when worn out again might not be rebuildable again. Everything wears out and eventually just needs replaced. But replaced with what? The cold truth is we do not even make the replacement equipment. Seeing what I have seen our knowledge base on running and maintaining the machines still exist, but the new machines and the capacity to produce them does not.

Sadly our plant closed in 2012 and I ran nearly the last part that would ever be produced there. Rod
Old 01-03-2016, 01:57 PM   #11
Ronnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOSFAST View Post
It's difficult to do any "decent" Flathead builds without relying on "off-shore' pieces, not too many American companies want to produce parts for ANY limited market, this is just a "fact-of-life" in todays world.

Personally I'm glad anyone is making the parts, it helps keep the hobby alive for many up here.

You can do a decent "general" rebuild with most all the OEM parts providing they are in good shape. Nowadays with so many doing strokers it's easier to just keep the kits here in stock with the off-shore parts. We use a number of these off-shore pieces, cranks/rods, etc, and haven't really had any major issues.

Two of the best areas for specific parts are the rings and the valve guides. We consider these to be most important at the end. We firmly believe in the "metric/moly" ring packs along with bronze-lined guides, have for over 40 years now (on the guides). We are also very careful with lifter purchasing, we want a specific vendor in this area.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Many times you never know where some of these parts are being mfd, for instance, King brgs is now producing the mains for the early Flatheads, these are off-shore pieces.
King bearings are quite a respected product.Used in drag racing alcohol engines.Don't be concerned about them.I have attended a couple of their product seminars and they are a player.

R
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 04:03 PM   #12
Floyd

To answer your actual question, like 51504bat did. Since you are asking about engine parts the answer gets fairly easy. If you were asking about flathead Ford (car)parts, that is complicated.
Back to parts for your 8CM engine.
I would deal with someone that specializes in engine parts, not a general parts catalog company.
Here is what I do (with 100% great results)
I buy engine bearings from friends or usually on Ebay that are NOS or NORS. Johnson bronze brand is typical of what I use. I use floaters, so bearings are a little difficult to find. I do not care for new ones.
As to everything else, I go to Red's headers. The valve kits are correct and the adjustables lifters are always good. Red's will supply everything you need.
Another source I have heard of is Patrick's in Arizona.
Also you can contact Mac Van Pelt who is well known on the fordbarn as a real stand up guy.
Any of these guys have sorted through the junk that is out there and will only supply the best parts that are available. You cannot do this yourself.
Just an opinion
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 04:34 PM   #13
flatheadmurre

Since its a 8BA bearings aint much of a problem any parts store should be able to get you a set of Clevite and a good gasket kit.
Earlier engines is a more of a challenge.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 05:24 PM   #14
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatheadmurre View Post
Well said... well said.
Old 01-03-2016, 05:26 PM   #15
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd View Post
To answer your actual question, like 51504bat did. Since you are asking about engine parts the answer gets fairly easy. If you were asking about flathead Ford (car)parts, that is complicated.
Back to parts for your 8CM engine.
I would deal with someone that specializes in engine parts, not a general parts catalog company.
Here is what I do (with 100% great results)
I buy engine bearings from friends or usually on Ebay that are NOS or NORS. Johnson bronze brand is typical of what I use. I use floaters, so bearings are a little difficult to find. I do not care for new ones.
As to everything else, I go to Red's headers. The valve kits are correct and the adjustables lifters are always good. Red's will supply everything you need.
Another source I have heard of is Patrick's in Arizona.
Also you can contact Mac Van Pelt who is well known on the fordbarn as a real stand up guy.
Any of these guys have sorted through the junk that is out there and will only supply the best parts that are available. You cannot do this yourself.
Just an opinion
Got a set of adjustable tappets from Red's last year and two of the sixteen were soft. Fortunately I knew enough to check them prior to installing them.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:08 PM   #16
Curt in AZ

Thanks to everyone for all the information! My principle concern is the lifters. I often source parts from Rock Auto - yea I'm Scottish and a cheap one at that. So far good results with other car parts, but never vintage iron.
Curt in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 07:31 PM   #17
russcc

You can't go wrong buying NOS or NORS parts from Fred Wilner at South Side Obsolete or Then & Now Automotive. Those parts were made when we did it right, right here. Be aware, Then & Now sells what they can get sometimes, versus what they have to fill an order. Ask for NOS/NORS.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 07:44 PM   #18
shoe box Jack

This will all change when Donald Trump gets in.
shoe box Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 08:32 PM   #19
oldford2

So, who is to blame?
*Why do you buy water foreign waterpumps @ $150 a pair when American labor (Skip) will build them right for $200??

*Why do you buy foreign carbs and fuel pumps from Mac's when Charlie NY will rebuild yours better for less?

*Why do you buy foreign coils when Skip will re build yours to last for your lifetime?

*Why do you buy foreign clutch discs and pressure plates When Fort Wayne has a solid reputation for quality?

Get the message? Americans are more interested in price than quality.

The solution is up to you
John
oldford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 11:35 PM   #20
Ol' Ron

Just how do you check a "soft" lifter??
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote