Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-24-2020, 04:15 AM   #21
oldandtired

Default Re: karma

One of my favorite people I dealt with a lot retired. He used to advertise in Hemmings. He restored stainless. You sent him the stainless and he sent it back to you done along with a bill. He told me in all the years he did business, he was not paid by only one person. When I told him I was going to drive out to the Chickasha Pre-War Meet one year, he drove over from another city in Oklahoma to say hello in person. It was a nice gesture on his part and talking to him in person was well worth it to me. I was sorry to see him retire. He was really good at restoring stainless.
oldandtired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 04:46 AM   #22
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
Brian, isn't he a fellow Kiwi? Thought you guys were tight with one another.

Seems to me he's been busy restoring a '36 Ford ... for at least 8 years.

... or do I have the wrong guy? DavidB in Blenheim?
You can still get caught even in NZ . Like the guy who rang me up with a blown up 1910 Hupmobile motor knowing I had located one but had yet to pick it up. I fiqured that I had half a spare motor at home so if anything happened to my one in the car I would be able to repair it with what I had and that since he allegedly had no spare engine and was dead in the water he could have it.

Turns out he is collecting spare engines and by report has 3 now.!!! Apparently has a track record of doing this with other vehicles. He won't get me again but I'll never find another engine in New Zealand.

Brian has helped me out as well and much appreciated . Hope to catch up with him at the swap meet in my hometown this weekend

Karl

Brian
Old 07-29-2020, 06:03 AM   #23
Hoop

Brian, you haven't told us how this all turned out.

Did you give him the parts? Or did you sell them to him ... (you stated that you also sell parts not just give them away.)

Or, did you turn him down?

Some of us would like to know how this story ends.
Old 07-29-2020, 06:26 AM   #24
Brian

Hoop, we have corresponded, I've sent photos, told him if he can't find better examples he can have what I've got, haven't heard back....but my offer stands.
Thing is, if he participated on here [the forum], I'd sort of get to know the guy.
Karl, I'll not be at the swap meet; I never go to that hotrodders thing, I have no use for chrome rocker covers. Happy hunting!
Old 07-29-2020, 01:16 PM   #25
Viv W

I've been restoring over 45 years and the majority of the people involved in old cars are nice, genuine people, who go out of their way to help.
Brian helped me out with a generous donation of right hand drive parts for my 35 phaeton. I paid the postage, which to me is very fair, seeing as I live so far away. Thank you Brian for your generous gift.
One thing I have learned over the years is Karma, what goes around comes around. I recently was able to donate a steering column light switch for a 28 Plymouth to a guy in the States, I paid the postage and asked him to make a donation last xmas, to someone less fortunate in his country. He did a donation and soon after sent me a picture of the restored part fitted to his car. It made his xmas and I was happy to help him out, that is what this hobby is about.
I was building a 28 Chrysler back in the 70's and looking for parts, but no one was coming forward to offer me anything. A member of our club committee, said to me, when you start building your car and can show progress, the parts will come to you, because people have the parts you need, but would rather they sat on their shelf, instead of yours, until they see that you are seriously building your car. Wise words I will never forget.
thank you Ford Barners for your help and advice, it is always appreciated.
Viv W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 09:50 PM   #26
Karl

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Hoop, we have corresponded, I've sent photos, told him if he can't find better examples he can have what I've got, haven't heard back....but my offer stands.
Thing is, if he participated on here [the forum], I'd sort of get to know the guy.
Karl, I'll not be at the swap meet; I never go to that hotrodders thing, I have no use for chrome rocker covers. Happy hunting!
I sometimes find more there than at a vintage swab meet.
I figure the rodders throw away all the neat old stuff I want to stuff the Chev engine in. Also to them its often unwanted junk and sometimes the prices are correspondingly good. I've met some nice guys over the years there but most look like they belong in ZZ Top -Karl
Old 07-30-2020, 03:05 AM   #27
Rudolph

I am forever in debt to Brian for the things he has given me over the years
Rudolph is offline   Reply With Quote