Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-06-2012, 03:37 PM   #1
tombia

Default Model A hubs on a T

!!!Model A hubs on a Model T spindle!!! I know this can be done, but has anyone on here ever done it? As I remember you have to cut 1/2 off the tip of the T spindle.
tombia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:22 PM   #2
southfork

Default Re: Model A hubs on a T

Haven't done it, but I picked up a Model T chassis last year that was on a truck headed to the scrapper, and bought it because I thought that it had 26-27 T wire wheels and hubs on it. When I got it home and started looking closely at it, I descovered that the 21 inch wire wheels were Model A instead of Model T and that the Hubs were not Model T either. Probably somebody had done just waht you are talking about.

Oh, well, I paid only $50 IIRC for the T frame and axles/wheels from the scrapper.
southfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:05 PM   #3
Willie in Houston

tombia, usually what I see is T hubs modified with bolts to fit A wire wheels. The A wheel is not deep enough at the hub, so the T axle sticks through the center of the wheel and you leave the T hub cover on the hub.
I have never tried to fit A hubs on a T ???????
Willie in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:38 PM   #4
visionary

Someone makes adapters to mount A wheels. but their pricey if i recall around $150.00 ea. i can't remember the outfit that carries them, but i can tell you it's one of the companies that has a link on the MTFCA website.
visionary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:12 PM   #5
tombia

I know ALL ABOUT the adapters, but why not use what you got. I wanted to know has anyone on here has ever done this. They do fit , the bearings are the same size, except a 1/2 spacer is needed between the inner bearing and the spindle. Seems to me a whole lot cheaper AND safer than adapters. Where I got the idea was from an old Hollinger interchange manual. Also I have always been amused about the senior vs junior member thing, I have been fooling with T's and A's since the 50's, probally longer than most of the members on here. Heck I even have great grandchildren.

Last edited by tombia; 11-12-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:52 PM   #6
dwollam

I have a friend that has Model A hubs and wheels on the front of his 27 T roadster pickup. He had the T spindles turned on a lathe where the outer bearing slips on and shortened also. He ran Model A brake drums for awhile, them turned off the part where the shoes would have been and left just enough for the wheel center to seat fully. He runs T hub to Model A wheel adapters on the rear.
dwollam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:14 PM   #7
yachtsmanbill

Ive got some model A rear parts (F.S. $50 for all!), and that includes a pair of hubs with bearings. I am guessing the tapers are the same so why not remove the bearing end and mount the Model A wheels on them? Not too sure about the brake drum geometry tho... ws

Old 11-12-2012, 10:19 PM   #8
tombia

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwollam View Post
I have a friend that has Model A hubs and wheels on the front of his 27 T roadster pickup. He had the T spindles turned on a lathe where the outer bearing slips on and shortened also. He ran Model A brake drums for awhile, them turned off the part where the shoes would have been and left just enough for the wheel center to seat fully. He runs T hub to Model A wheel adapters on the rear.
Thats what I was looking for, Someone who has done this. That's a nice looking pickum up. Thank you. Tom Bowler
Old 11-13-2012, 02:22 AM   #9
dumb person

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombia View Post
Also I have always been amused about the senior vs junior member thing, I have been fooling with T's and A's since the 50's, probally longer than most of the members on here. Heck I even have great grandchildren.
If you are wondering about the automatic junior/senior thing that is generated on the internet thing then write alot, it seems to measure by that.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:53 AM   #10
Wick

Now yall have done it....Ive got to dig out my A hubs and figure this thing out. ive got a extra set of 21" A wheels and would rather use them.
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:31 AM   #11
t42

Tombia,
Your age or experience has nothing to do with the senior/junior designation. If you have 100 or more posts or replies, your "status" is elevated to Senior level. If it was based on age, guys like you and I would probably be approaching "over the hill" or worse status.
Keep on posting!
t42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:13 PM   #12
tombia

Not important about the Junior/ Senior thing. Always just wondered. Thanks. Yesterday I checked a Model A rear hub and a T rear hub on an A rear axle, and guess what IT DOES look like the same taper and close to the same length minus the bearing. Maybe this will just have to checked out further, looks to a small amount of machine work will do it???.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:15 AM   #13
Cozmo_Cheez

I am guessing a lot of folks are looking for the cheapest and best way to adapt readily available Model A Wire Rims to Model T Spindles. Those adapters available are both rather pricey and heavy. I too am one of those people. I am curious to know what kind of machining was neccessary to the Model T Spindle end where the outer bearing is located as mentioned earlier in the thread.
Cozmo_Cheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:25 AM   #14
tombia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozmo_Cheez View Post
I am guessing a lot of folks are looking for the cheapest and best way to adapt readily available Model A Wire Rims to Model T Spindles. Those adapters available are both rather pricey and heavy. I too am one of those people. I am curious to know what kind of machining was neccessary to the Model T Spindle end where the outer bearing is located as mentioned earlier in the thread.
Hollinger interchange says to cut threads 1/2" more on spindle and redrill hole for cotter pin. Its looks to me that a 1/2 spacer between the spindle and inner bearing should do the trick. Also I checked the rear Model A axles and the T axle , seens the tapers are the same, but A axle is larger, maybe a axle shim or 2 like used on worn axles would make up the diff.? Neat to find out. Would still have to do machine work on A rear hubs.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:47 PM   #15
Wick

Today I took a Model A Hub with bearings and put it on the T spindle. If you do not put a spacer (1/2) on the spindle first then you will have to turn down the taper on the spindle so the outter bearing will fit inside the race. Like Tombia said you have to cut 1/2 of the threads and redrill the hole.
Wick
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:24 AM   #16
dumb person

So how would you set about fitted model A Rear hubs on a model T?

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:13 AM   #17
redmodelt

These photos may show another way to do a set of adapters using T hubs. The outer diameter has been turned down to an angle to fit into the Model A wheel and the hubs are recessed into the backing plate. I think someone got drill happy! The hubs were welded into place. The brake drum lines up with the back side and stays in the same place as if it was wood wheel.

I have another pair of front Model A hubs that have been set up to be used on T spindles. They use a cut down brake drum as a rear support, Model A slinger for spacer and the end does not have to be cut down. I will try and post some photos of that setup this week end. You would use the Model T inner and outer bearing when you use the spacer. The only real problem that need to be over come is, the Model A front hubs do not have a grease seal as such and there is no place to install one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0004.JPG (83.0 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0007.JPG (81.9 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0008.JPG (78.5 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0010.JPG (80.9 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg edge shot.jpg (16.7 KB, 58 views)
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:11 AM   #18
tombia

Looks like you need to take a trip to a sandblaster. But looks good, I found a nice set of T wire hubs and 5 wheels. Fairly reasonable $750.00 complete, blasted and all. I found my generator problem, cutout, I checked it several times and it checked out good(diode} finally bypassed it and everything was fine???? Been in use for 3 years.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:34 PM   #19
redmodelt

The adapters in the photo above will need work before they could be used. I tried one with a Model A wheel, you would need spacers between the backing plate and wheel so the lug nuts don't warp the rim. The holes for the lug bolts need to be opened. the rears have good hubs and the way the hub is recessed would be easy to add brake drums. The Model A rear hubs go too far on the axle.
Here are some photos of the other set of fronts I have. I did find that the end of the spindle was cut off, it looked old and was rounded like the stock end of the normal spindle.
The spindle arm is Model A. If you are building a speedster they can be used with out a lot of modification.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0230.jpg (52.5 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0231.jpg (47.0 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0232.jpg (44.4 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0233.jpg (49.2 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0234.jpg (53.2 KB, 83 views)
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 11:00 PM   #20
Speedster Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmodelt View Post
The adapters in the photo above will need work before they could be used. I tried one with a Model A wheel, you would need spacers between the backing plate and wheel so the lug nuts don't warp the rim. The holes for the lug bolts need to be opened. the rears have good hubs and the way the hub is recessed would be easy to add brake drums. The Model A rear hubs go too far on the axle.
Here are some photos of the other set of fronts I have. I did find that the end of the spindle was cut off, it looked old and was rounded like the stock end of the normal spindle.
The spindle arm is Model A. If you are building a speedster they can be used with out a lot of modification.

Hello,

I have a T with A wheels on it and one of the modified front T hubs was recently damaged. Before I go to the effort of machining two new front hubs from steel, can I please get some more information on where this 1/2" spacer is located you are talking about? I actually have a fully rebuilt model A front end that I restored just out of high school that I could take the new T wheel bearings that I have and use the A hubs I have off of the restored axle. I just found this thread after nearly a month of searching for A/T wheels without adapters, and I was about to machine two new hubs that would fit my spindles and wheels, and this may save me a bunch of work. Any assistance would be appreciated. Thank you.
Speedster Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote