Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-29-2016, 10:43 PM   #21
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: Horn Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerMar View Post
I have contacted the person that rebuilt it and I am sending it back to him to fix and send back to me....thanks for the help....I will let you know what happens....
Best thing you can do!
Old 08-30-2016, 10:39 PM   #22
JerMar

Should I be getting constant power to the horn wire? Each time I hooked it up it sparks like I am getting power there....
JerMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 11:23 PM   #23
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Should I be getting constant power to the horn wire? Each time I hooked it up it sparks like I am getting power there....
Yes, see reply #3 first paragraph.

To be sure, you should have voltage available at both terminals until the horn button is pushed to supply the ground for the motor, but when you touch the power wire to the terminal you should NOT get a spark. If you get a spark then you have a short.

Last edited by Tom Wesenberg; 08-31-2016 at 08:05 AM.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 04:58 PM   #24
JerMar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Yes, see reply #3 first paragraph.

To be sure, you should have voltage available at both terminals until the horn button is pushed to supply the ground for the motor, but when you touch the power wire to the terminal you should NOT get a spark. If you get a spark then you have a short.

Well it did spark when I touched the wire from cutout to the horn...So I must have a short right? I am not sure where this would be I have new light wiring harness, new battery cables (Negative grounded tot he frame), New wire going from terminal box to top of starter and to cutout. Not but a couple wires left...
Old 08-31-2016, 05:09 PM   #25
Bob C

Quote:
Well it did spark when I touched the wire from cutout to the horn...So I must have a short right? I am not sure where this would be I have new light wiring harness, new battery cables (Negative grounded tot he frame), New wire going from terminal box to top of starter and to cutout. Not but a couple wires left...
It is somewhere in the horn.

Positive should be to the frame if 6 volt.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 05:15 PM   #26
JerMar

Ok the guy that rebuilt the horn received it back in the mail today and hooked it up (6V to left and neg to right and it began to spin and so he tightened the screw a couple of turns and it works perfectly...I am not sure what the deal is now...I tried wire from battery to horn and I got nothing...
Old 08-31-2016, 05:17 PM   #27
JerMar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
It is somewhere in the horn.

Positive should be to the frame if 6 volt.

Bob
It is 6V...but the positive is going to the top of the starter and neg cable is grounded to frame...is that wrong?
Old 08-31-2016, 05:35 PM   #28
700rpm

Quote:
It is 6V...but the positive is going to the top of the starter and neg cable is grounded to frame...is that wrong?
Yes.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 05:39 PM   #29
Bob C

Quote:
Ok the guy that rebuilt the horn received it back in the mail today and hooked it up (6V to left and neg to right and it began to spin and so he tightened the screw a couple of turns and it works perfectly...I am not sure what the deal is now...I tried wire from battery to horn and I got nothing...
Did you have a + and - from the battery to the horn, you need both.

Bob
Old 08-31-2016, 05:44 PM   #30
Steve Wastler

Quote:
This is a rebuilt original that purchased from twlucas on eBay...!
Just want to point out I have bought from this eBay seller for a very long time and always great parts, fast shipping and very good packaging, never any issues...
Steve Wastler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:19 PM   #31
Tom Wesenberg

Now that I just read more information, I don't think the horn ever had a problem. When you earlier talked about getting a spark when connecting the horn, I thought you were connecting the terminal right at the horn. Now it sounds like you were touching the horn/lights terminal to the cutout and getting a spark. That one terminal feeds two circuits, and the light circuit is likely where your short is.

Sometimes it's shorted where the plug connects to the headlamp, or it might be the brake switch terminal shorted to ground. You'll have to trace the wires and locate the short. It's very easy to unplug each headlamp socket and see if the terminals are touching each other or ground.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:12 PM   #32
JerMar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
Yes.
Yes, but how should they be if it's wrong?
Old 08-31-2016, 10:14 PM   #33
JerMar

Quote:
Did you have a + and - from the battery to the horn, you need both.

Bob

Yes I had the horn wire from the light harness and the wire from the cutout...
Old 08-31-2016, 10:16 PM   #34
Bob C

Quote:
Yes, but how should they be if it's wrong?
The negative goes to the starter switch and the positive goes to the frame.
The Model A is a positive ground system as were Fords up till 1956.

Bob
Old 08-31-2016, 10:18 PM   #35
JerMar

Quote:
Now that I just read more information, I don't think the horn ever had a problem. When you earlier talked about getting a spark when connecting the horn, I thought you were connecting the terminal right at the horn. Now it sounds like you were touching the horn/lights terminal to the cutout and getting a spark. That one terminal feeds two circuits, and the light circuit is likely where your short is.

Sometimes it's shorted where the plug connects to the headlamp, or it might be the brake switch terminal shorted to ground. You'll have to trace the wires and locate the short. It's very easy to unplug each headlamp socket and see if the terminals are touching each other or ground.

I het the spark when I take the wire from the cutout and touch the horn terminal no matter if the neg wire is hooked up or not...
Old 08-31-2016, 10:21 PM   #36
JerMar

Quote:
The negative goes to the starter switch and the positive goes to the frame.
The Model A is a positive ground system as were Fords up till 1956.

Bob

Ok, then this is my problem right? I have positive cable going to starter and the negative going to the frame....
Old 08-31-2016, 11:28 PM   #37
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Ok, then this is my problem right? I have positive cable going to starter and the negative going to the frame....
That's only a problem if you have a diode cutout, but it should be corrected to be like original with positive ground anyway.
Old 08-31-2016, 11:35 PM   #38
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
I het the spark when I take the wire from the cutout and touch the horn terminal no matter if the neg wire is hooked up or not...
This isn't telling me anything because it's not specific enough and I don't know what is connected at the ends of the light wire contacts and the horn wire contacts. With the horn not connected to any wires, does the horn/light wire terminal spark when you touch it to the cutout?

It's best when installing all new wires to leave the wire off the starter switch, then as you connect each new wire or harness, touch the wire to the starter switch and see if it sparks. If it sparks, then fix the short before connecting any more wires or harness.
Old 09-01-2016, 08:13 AM   #39
JerMar

Quote:
This isn't telling me anything because it's not specific enough and I don't know what is connected at the ends of the light wire contacts and the horn wire contacts. With the horn not connected to any wires, does the horn/light wire terminal spark when you touch it to the cutout?

It's best when installing all new wires to leave the wire off the starter switch, then as you connect each new wire or harness, touch the wire to the starter switch and see if it sparks. If it sparks, then fix the short before connecting any more wires or harness.

Ok I put a brand new original style (w/o cowl light) light harness in. When I take the wire from the terminal box and hook it to the cut out I get spark. When I take the horn wire from the cutout to the horn terminal I get sparks while touching it there.

Ok I'll try your technique

Thanks again for all the help!
Old 09-01-2016, 11:44 AM   #40
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Ok I put a brand new original style (w/o cowl light) light harness in. When I take the wire from the terminal box and hook it to the cut out I get spark. When I take the horn wire from the cutout to the horn terminal I get sparks while touching it there.

Ok I'll try your technique

Thanks again for all the help!
OK, at this point you need to stop and see why you get a spark. If the horn/light harness wire isn't connected to the cutout, then the cutout or generator must be the problem. Make sure the cutout screws aren't too long and shorting something, and make sure the insulating washers are on the two cutout terminals.

The Model A parts houses sell the correct screws and insulators.