Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-17-2015, 05:12 PM   #1
Curly

Default Which outfits build the best long block Model A engines?

My engine is in great shape and I have many more miles left in it. But I do drive it over 8000 miles a year so it would be a good idea to have another engine on hand so I don't ever have to sit out a season like my friend Carl did this last year.

Where's the best place to get a touring engine for a model A?
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 05:38 PM   #2
Bill Wright

Default Re: Which outfits build the best long block Model A engines?

I'd like to know too.
Bill Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 06:05 PM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly View Post
My engine is in great shape and I have many more miles left in it. But I do drive it over 8000 miles a year so it would be a good idea to have another engine on hand so I don't ever have to sit out a season like my friend Carl did this last year.

A couple of thoughts on this, ....what in YOUR mind determines what makes an engine rebuilder 'the best'? In other words, by saying 'the best' that means only one individual can have that title. What can one rebuilder do that many other rebuilders cannot, -or does not do?

What exactly is a touring engine? For 50+ years, a stock Model-A engine was a perfect engine to go 'tour' the country with. Many Model-As have been driven over 8,000 miles annually for consecutive years without issues. Ironically, most failures of the Model-A engines are caused by aftermarket or modified components of the engine.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 07:08 PM   #4
Ron in Quincy

I suggest you consider Turlock Machine for your engine rebuild. I have two of his engines, both touring, with 5.4 heads.
You can contact the owner, Joe Siviles at [email protected] or call him at 1-209-495-1689 (Turlock, CA).

Ron
Ron in Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 07:18 PM   #5
Jordan

Ron Kelly. We have 3 of his engines & we've never had a problem.
Old 12-17-2015, 07:20 PM   #6
Curly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
what makes an engine rebuilder 'the best'?
I’d be happy to rephrase it for you if needed.
Which outfits out there are building top quality engines that folks here on the site have found to be reliable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
What exactly is a touring engine?

I didn't coin the term "touring engine" but common sense tells me it’s an engine that’s built specifically for touring as opposed to being built to win point shows. It may have some extras for smoothness, reliability and power
Old 12-17-2015, 07:23 PM   #7
Curly

I will look up both right now. Thanks Ron and Jordan.
Old 12-17-2015, 07:34 PM   #8
P.S.

I am also a fan of Turlock Machine. His engines run very well, and never seem to have trouble. I have 1 of his engines in my tudor, and other guys in the club have them also. No problems. The nearly fine-point tudor's engine that Joe rebuilt looks dead stock, but it easily does burnouts if you horse around. LOTS of power.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 07:39 PM   #9
Terry, NJ

I have seen quite a few parts with the adjective "Touring" tacked on the front. When I got my engine done by Schwalms rebabbiting service, The cam was described as Touring Cam. What does that mean? The term "Touring" has no technical meaning. Since I first heard it, I've wondered just what it meant.
Terry

I didn't coin the term "touring engine" but common sense tells me it’s an engine that’s built specifically for touring as opposed to being built to win point shows. It may have some extras for smoothness, reliability and power[/QUOTE]
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 07:47 PM   #10
CarlG

My Ron Kelly engine should be showing up at my doorstep any day now.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 08:11 PM   #11
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
I’d be happy to rephrase it for you if needed.
Which outfits out there are building top quality engines that folks here on the site have found to be reliable.

I didn't coin the term "touring engine" but common sense tells me it’s an engine that’s built specifically for touring as opposed to being built to win point shows. It may have some extras for smoothness, reliability and power
Fair enough! If I go re-read your first comment, it asked "where is the best place" (-not places) yet in this post above you Now give some latitude by saying "which outfits" ...which evidently means you would accept multiple vendors as providing a quality engine. That was my point in saying there are multiple places to get a quality rebuild on your side of the country. Add to the list above folks like Steve Becker, Rich Fallucia, David Gerould, Herm Kohnke, et/al who all can be called quality builders. I doubt any names mentioned could be rightfully billed as "the best".

With regard to building an engine for show points, I believe you have a strong misconception about what many engines in Fine-point cars have. Many Fine-point (show) cars are built to drive too, ...and as such many have been upgraded with counterweighted crankshafts, oversized valves, IB330 cam, high compression cylinder heads, and even insert bearings in lieu of babbitt. My suggestion is do your research first but ask the recommendations of a rebuilder you want to work with, and see if their advice aligns with your research and expectations.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 08:20 PM   #12
Curly

I've been given several names to look into. Thank you all.
Old 12-17-2015, 09:19 PM   #13
johnmi

If you live on the west coast do not buy on the east coast or visa versa. I am telling you this from experience. It can cause a lot of problems. John
johnmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 10:29 PM   #14
fiddlybits

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmi View Post
If you live on the west coast do not buy on the east coast or visa versa. I am telling you this from experience. It can cause a lot of problems. John
No, no, no, that is not the standard operating procedure. To be a true old model A'er you must not use any rebuilder that is anywhere close to you.

If you have a rebuilder in the same town you are in it is a moral imperative that you ignore their existance and ship your engine cross country, where you can not see the facility, monitor the process or save shipping costs.

Let us not use common sense that John speaks of.
fiddlybits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 11:22 PM   #15
DougVieyra

I suppose that if one were to have a fleet of Model A's and had each one with a rebuilt engine from a different rebuilder, that a judgement might be made. But short of that, we are mostly left with 'testimonials' from owners who have only experience from only one rebuilder. Not the best judge of who "builds the best long block Model A engine."

I have a 'Ron Kelly" 'touring engine' (Royce, Texas) in my '31 Dlx Coupe. It is now ten years old. Except for being a 'gas hog', I LOVE it ! My 1928 Phaeton has an 'touring engine' which was built by a local (Hayward, Calif) builder in 1975 or so. It too is still running beautifully after a great number of years.

Last edited by DougVieyra; 12-17-2015 at 11:29 PM.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 11:46 PM   #16
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Take a look here on the barn and see which builders post on this forum. These people take time out to assist us with our problems. If you think about it, if any of them were building "substandard" engines that have problems or did not last they would be run off the site.

It is my honest belief that any of these shops will give you exactly what you want. What you need to do is to sit down a moment and decide what it is you want your engine to do. A properly rebuilt model A engine will be a strong smooth running engine. "Touring" engines come in many flavors and the sky is the limit as to what can be done to them, so a "touring" engine from one builder could have different specs than a "touring" engine of another.
Old 12-18-2015, 12:13 AM   #17
hardtimes

Quote:

Hey Curly,
You've come to THE right place to ask such question , IMO.
Short answer is given to you by Ron in Quincy, with name/location and contact information.
Now I know that many people can build you a 'touring engine' A or B.
I have a B that Joe (a member here) built about 12 yrs ago. He has the talent/ability to competently build you anything that you can imagine and fund...mild to wild, for an A/B engine. My engine still runs very strong, but then it had all of the BEST parts then available to start with (read expensive here). Plus, I have never heard of Joe's work complained of.
Choice is good,eh ? And, you sure have plenty to chose from, some other members here also
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 04:44 PM   #18
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

Antique Engine Rebuilders... Done and done!!!

http://www.antiqueenginerebuilding.com/MODELA.html
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 05:00 PM   #19
CarlG

Curly,
The best solution is to get one of each and test each one out, then post the results.

**On the other side of the fence, I can tell you who NOT to put on the list (from personal experience)
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 08:27 AM   #20
waxhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in Quincy View Post
I suggest you consider Turlock Machine for your engine rebuild. I have two of his engines, both touring, with 5.4 heads.
You can contact the owner, Joe Siviles at [email protected] or call him at 1-209-495-1689 (Turlock, CA).

Ron
Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post
I am also a fan of Turlock Machine. His engines run very well, and never seem to have trouble. I have 1 of his engines in my tudor, and other guys in the club have them also. No problems. The nearly fine-point tudor's engine that Joe rebuilt looks dead stock, but it easily does burnouts if you horse around. LOTS of power.
I also have one of Joe's engines. Had it sent across to Western Australia. Runs like a sewing machine. Great guy to deal with, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him and his workmanship.
waxhead is offline   Reply With Quote