Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-12-2015, 04:50 PM   #1
art ebeling

Default headlight dent removal

What is the best method to remove small dents in 31 stainless headlights? I once saw an article about melting lead inside the shell to form a dolly but can't seem to find that info again.
art ebeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 05:18 PM   #2
Kevin in NJ

Default Re: headlight dent removal

Depends on where and how deep.

It all comes down to picking the dent out and sanding level. The key is it pick to a point, sand to find spots and repeat till it is even. I used the tube fluorescent lights and find they are great for showing slight dents. The dent will cause a change in the tube shape with even the slightest dent. Use something around 180/220 to start leveling. The more course you go the more work it is to get back to ready to buff.

The down side to the tube lights is they make the stainless look worse with the scratches then it really is in daylight.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 12:19 AM   #3
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

On the radiator shroud, We took a hardwood dowel and rounded the end slightly. Placing the dent over a had rubber mat we started to hammer on the dowel to lower the dent. There was enough "give" in the wood and rubber to keep any sharp edges from forming. should work the same for the headlight bucket.
Old 12-13-2015, 09:22 AM   #4
desotoguy

Remember, the metal in the dent will be stretched some,
and may need to be shrunk some as you remove the dent, otherwise the metal around the dent may be deformed as the process goes along.
desotoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 05:04 PM   #5
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by art ebeling View Post
What is the best method to remove small dents in 31 stainless headlights? I once saw an article about melting lead inside the shell to form a dolly but can't seem to find that info again.
I wrote an article in the 1999 Fall and Winter Edition of the Model A Trader magazine.

I talk specifically about Model A headlight shells. How to modify a dolly hammer for the headlight shells and how to make small tools to get inside the shells and other small stuff like the Cowl Band.

It also describes the stainless steel polishing compounds and methods.

Larry
Old 12-13-2015, 08:13 PM   #6
art ebeling

Where can I get a copy? I would like to read it for the polishing tips. I found the article about making a babbitt buck by pouring molten babbitt into an undamaged area with the same shape. The article was in the Sept/Oct 14 Restorer. I didn't find the article until after spending all afternoon with a wooden dolly, file and sandpaper. After a test buffing it looks perfect! I do plan on using the babbitt buck method on the headlamp rims. Thanks to all who responded.
art ebeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 11:54 PM   #7
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

Quote:
Where can I get a copy? I would like to read it for the polishing tips. I found the article about making a babbitt buck by pouring molten babbitt into an undamaged area with the same shape. The article was in the Sept/Oct 14 Restorer. I didn't find the article until after spending all afternoon with a wooden dolly, file and sandpaper. After a test buffing it looks perfect! I do plan on using the babbitt buck method on the headlamp rims. Thanks to all who responded.
Art..

If you Google "Model A Trader" I think you will find a section on their site that has information on how to order back issues.

No need to use any special tools on the headlight rims. Just follow the article..

Larry
Old 12-14-2015, 04:19 AM   #8
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:

FALL/WINTER 1999 $4.75 - Restoring Stainless Steel Parts; It Fits... Almost! (Cylinder Head Nuts); the Saturday Mechanic (Cut Glass Windwings); What's Wrong With It Now? (Rebuilt Engine Problem); Tired Truck Talk - The Long Road to Lancaster; Hey, Where's the Fire! (Solon, Ohio's Model A Fire Truck); Book Reviews - The Legendary Model A Ford, Model A Ford Q&A Workshop Manual, The Ford Model A Mail Truck; What's New (Odor Cutter, Fuel Gauge Float, Turn Signals, Overdrive Shifter)

Prices are in U.S. funds and do not include postage of $1.50 for one copy. Photocopies are made to order - please allow up to 4 weeks for delivery.
Old 12-14-2015, 01:54 PM   #9
Mikeinnj

Question Re: headlight dent removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin in nj View Post
depends on where and how deep.

It all comes down to picking the dent out and sanding level. The key is it pick to a point, sand to find spots and repeat till it is even. I used the tube fluorescent lights and find they are great for showing slight dents. the dent will cause a change in the tube shape with even the slightest dent. use something around 180/220 to start leveling. The more course you go the more work it is to get back to ready to buff.

The down side to the tube lights is they make the stainless look worse with the scratches then it really is in daylight.

huh ?????
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 02:34 PM   #10
Kevin in NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeinnj View Post
huh ?????
The reflection of the straight edges of the tube will suddenly look like a circus mirror with wide or narrow sections.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 02:51 PM   #11
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
FALL/WINTER 1999 $4.75 - Restoring Stainless Steel Parts; It Fits... Almost! (Cylinder Head Nuts); the Saturday Mechanic (Cut Glass Windwings); What's Wrong With It Now? (Rebuilt Engine Problem); Tired Truck Talk - The Long Road to Lancaster; Hey, Where's the Fire! (Solon, Ohio's Model A Fire Truck); Book Reviews - The Legendary Model A Ford, Model A Ford Q&A Workshop Manual, The Ford Model A Mail Truck; What's New (Odor Cutter, Fuel Gauge Float, Turn Signals, Overdrive Shifter)

Prices are in U.S. funds and do not include postage of $1.50 for one copy. Photocopies are made to order - please allow up to 4 weeks for delivery.
Thank you, Mike..

Larry
Old 12-14-2015, 06:44 PM   #12
Dale G.

Another suggestion that would help if you do not want to do this job yourself given the good instructions previously is if you have a brass music instrument repair shop in your town, take the buckets and rings to them. They have some very exotic dollies and hammers to take dents out then polish them. Don't think they can do a cowl band though.
Dale G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 07:47 PM   #13
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale G. View Post
Another suggestion that would help if you do not want to do this job yourself given the good instructions previously is if you have a brass music instrument repair shop in your town, take the buckets and rings to them. They have some very exotic dollies and hammers to take dents out then polish them. Don't think they can do a cowl band though.
Actually, the cowl band is pretty easy compared to either the Radiator shell (the hardest of the three because of flatness) or the headlight shells.

My article shows how to make small "tools" to fit inside the cowl band.

Larry
Old 12-17-2015, 11:17 PM   #14
fiddlybits

On small dings and dents (like hail dents) I have had success using heat and cold.

Heat the area around the dent. I use hair dryers, paint strip guns or butane torches depending on the material and if it is painted. The key isnto get the metal to expand over an area 2 or 3 times larger than the dent.
Then, when it is all hot and toasty, apply extreme cold to the center of the dent to contract that metal. I use either dry ice or a can of "compressed air" held upside down. (You know the cans that you can use to blow out computer keyboards. Flip one over and spay a quick shot at some cloth and watch the frost form.)

Usually only takes one shot with small dents but a second time might be needed on slightly larger.
fiddlybits is offline   Reply With Quote