Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-10-2022, 09:29 AM   #21
Deuce-Addict

Default Re: Largest collection of pre-war Fords- auction details and video

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs View Post
David G you should do some research in the Ford books. If I can relocate it I will, but they did the roofs before they were shipped out in Michigan according to the records.

RS, may I respectfully suggest you do some research on who David G is and his credentials as to knowledge of 1932 Fords.

As the owner of a filled roof 1932 Tudor sedan that came from Argentina and bearing not first but very old paint, in the case of mine would be very surprised if undertaken in a Ford plant judging by the quality of the workmanship.
Deuce-Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 09:37 AM   #22
DavidG

Ask around about my research.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 09:39 AM   #23
rockfla

Quote:
David G you should do some research in the Ford books. If I can relocate it I will, but they did the roofs before they were shipped out in Michigan according to the records.
Perhaps you didn’t read post #16 by DavidG and “maybe” you should go back and “re-read” it? There are a short list of posters here on the barn WHO the majority would consider expert……….Then there are a “FEW” that “I” would classify as “whatever” next level beyond Expert IS? You should know NOW…..DavidG is at the top of that list!!! Telling him that he should “do some research in the Ford Books!” At face value is beyond laughable BUT more to the point…..Shows “your” lack of awareness…..NOT that David needs any “defending” BUT between his years with Ford Motor Company- over 1/2 his service overseas (and most of that time in South America) add that to the amount of time he HAS spent in the Benson Ford Research Center AND his hands on experience restoring over 50 1932 to 19 (take your pick) I would venture a guess he has spent more time “researching” than YOU have drawn air or made footprints on earth!!! JMO. As a testament and sample of HIS impeccable knowledge check out the Early Ford V8 clubs 1932 Ford Restoration book. Just a “little” two yes 2 volume set that will tell you more than you will ever want to know NOT to mention his work (and NOW update) on the EFV8 clubs 1933-1934 Restoration book.

SO in simple terms for you RS….you have essentially told Mr Webster that he needs to learn how to write dictionaries!!! ALSO know that when people say “He wrote THE book”….DavidG has!!!

Last edited by rockfla; 07-10-2022 at 10:13 AM.
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 11:50 AM   #24
rs

They were not stamped they were welded in after the fact according to some expert who wrote the book I read. I will attempt to locate it. Personal experience after the fact, is not proof of what happened in 1932. I question authority. I was unaware of his prestige. If I had known his background, I would have questioned it, perhaps more diplomatically. Maybe I should not believe everything I read. No insult was meant. I want proof either way and none has been given that has convinced me to alter my understanding as of yet.
rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 11:55 AM   #25
rs

I have to go back to my V8 times magazines. That is where the article is located. This was part of a discussion in 2008 on the Hamb. I think I gave my 30 year collection of V8 times away. They were taking up too much room and someone wanted to explore them.
Old 07-10-2022, 12:01 PM   #26
rs

(August 2008) There was If you guys get time to read the V8 times......Ford did fill the roofs on their cars for EXPORT. The place it was performed was right across the river from the factory and it was part of the Ford factory. It was the area the models were readied for export. These cars were completed and ready to ship to the harsher environments of South America. I think this months V8 times had an article on the filled tops from the factory. YES factory filled tops. EXPORT only. In fact the Very few roadsters were sent out and when they did they had the Standard top installed in a heavier vinyl. No cloth tops due to the sun and moisture.

According to V8 times sometime in 2008 perhaps August. Dig it out.
Old 07-10-2022, 01:49 PM   #27
Kube

Quote:
"David G you should..."

Oh boy, this is gonna get interesting....
Old 07-10-2022, 02:01 PM   #28
Digger

It’s unfortunate that this post is getting hijacked about talking about one specific model of car. Perhaps a separate thread should be started
Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 02:42 PM   #29
DavidG

Rs, With respect, as this is your assertion, please narrow down the "V8 Times" article that you are referring to so that we all may look at it. I do not doubt that you read such an article, but being in the "V8 Times" is not a guarantee, per se, that it is factual. That would depend on it being linked backed to Ford Motor Company documentation. As an example, "right across the river..." in the case of the Dearborn Ford facilities means that it is in Canada and while Ford of Canada was a major exporter, those went to British Commonwealth countries and not to South America; Ford U.S. was the sole supplier of vehicles and vehicle kits for local assembly to South America (except British Guiana)

As for climate differences, the major population centers at that time of Buenos Aires, Montevideo, Porto Alegre, Sao Paulo, and Asuncion all enjoy more moderate climates that Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Pittsburg, Philadelphia, and New York.

I have the privilege of being the second owner of two '33-'35 open cars from Argentina, both of which have remnants of their original top covering. It was same drab material used on deluxe open cars sold in the U.S., but then they could be random exceptions.

Perhaps when you find the article you could start a new thread as Digger has suggested.
Old 07-10-2022, 07:13 PM   #30
rs

PM sent. Moving on.
I am looking forward to seeing the effect of supply and demand due to this exciting auction.
Old 07-10-2022, 07:49 PM   #31
DavidG

Received and moving on as well given that neither of us have access to the old magazines and the subject article at this time

It will be interesting to see the results given the multiples of body types being offered at no reserve..
Old 07-10-2022, 10:59 PM   #32
tubman

Is there something in the water around here lately? We have gotten a few strange new posters.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 03:26 AM   #33
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Is there something in the water around here lately? We have gotten a few strange new posters.

I can't disagree with that! Coop

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 05:45 AM   #34
mercman from oz

The V8 Times is a great source of information. The Early Ford V8 Club of America did produce a Memory Stick which included all issues of V8 Times from 1965 to 2014. However, I just looked up their Web Site and can't see it listed now? You may want to enquire, as having all these Issues on a Memory Stick doesn't take up any room, and is a great Reference Point. Regards Mercman <><
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 06:46 AM   #35
DavidG

It's there, online store - media.
Old 07-11-2022, 08:19 AM   #36
Zeke3

And, they have added 42 more issues to the memory stick up through 2021. It is a great bargain.
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 10:42 AM   #37
whizzernick

I notice a lot of RH drive cars. will that affect the price ? I think if the cars were all LH drive . The auction would bring higher prices. We will see. Just a * the 33 phaeton with jumbos was mine. The tires were NOS . very well restored car
whizzernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 10:44 AM   #38
whizzernick

The 33 phaeton I now have has wire wheels .
whizzernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 03:14 PM   #39
supereal

If you are looking for a '47 Ford convertible, mine is now for sale! Owned for over 25 years, and have a shelf of trophies from it!
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 05:29 AM   #40
mercman from oz

V8 Times - Memory Stick 1965 - 2021
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote