Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-07-2016, 07:52 AM   #1
bobpo1

Default 1/2" too Much Water?

I recently switched over to 50/50 mix in the radiator in my '30 coupe. Took it out for a drive to town yesterday (beautiful) and when heading back home I got 'er up to 53 mph for a while. When I got home, I noticed some anti freeze under the hood and a little on the windshield. Not normal at all.

I think I have maybe a 1/2 inch too much in the radiator. It's over the core maybe an inch. TOO MUCH....?
bobpo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 08:13 AM   #2
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.
Default Re: 1/2" too Much Water?

I have always been told to the top of the core and that works great for me and most. Why experiment with more if it works for others? I also drive mine at 45 where it is very happy! In my opinion 53 is testing it for no purpose, After all she is over 80 years old. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 08:26 AM   #3
1crosscut

I would think that the odds are you have a bit too much. Is your radiator cap gasket in good shape? Any excess water should exit out the overflow tube at the bottom of the radiator and would not be likely to get on your windshield. Another thing that could possibly be causing water to be pushed out is a leaking head gasket into the cooling system. But since you just changed the water I would lean more towards it being too high.
Old 02-07-2016, 08:36 AM   #4
fiddlybits

Water pump may be more efficient at moving thicker glycol mix than water and the radiator can not keep up with flow at speed.
fiddlybits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 08:40 AM   #5
chl

a small leak hitting the fan will throw coolant everywhere,happened to me last fall.
chl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 08:45 AM   #6
Royce P

You might have a mud dauber plugged overflow tube. Better check that and all the other good suggestions.

The fluid needs to be just above the tubes when warm. When the coolant is cold it will be just about to the top of the tubes. Drive around some more and it will reach its own ideal level.
1917 Torpedo Runabout
Royce P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:00 AM   #7
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobpo1 View Post
I recently switched over to 50/50 mix in the radiator in my '30 coupe. Took it out for a drive to town yesterday (beautiful) and when heading back home I got 'er up to 53 mph for a while. When I got home, I noticed some anti freeze under the hood and a little on the windshield. Not normal at all.

I think I have maybe a 1/2 inch too much in the radiator. It's over the core maybe an inch. TOO MUCH....?
Yes
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:12 AM   #8
caperss

Being new to Model A's I made that mistake just last week. Checking all the fluids I noticed there was a lot of air above the coolant level in the radiator. Obviously not thinking old school I filled it up to about an inch under the cap. Guess what happened the next time I used it? Yup, coolant draining from the overflow. Ok, so once it stops overflowing then I guess that's will be the correct level of coolant. Am I correct in that assumption all other items being correct?
caperss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:57 AM   #9
marty in Ohio

They tend to seek their own level.
marty in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:03 AM   #10
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Measure the amount you need to add to get it to the same level as before the drive. Replicate the drive and see if you need to add the same amount. If yes, like marty said it has found it's own level.

I add water every couple of months it's always the same amount. I do it because I can't see the water level in the radiator and want to be sure it's really at the correct level.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:37 AM   #11
Patrick L.

You may want to drain a bit out just until you see the fluid level just below the baffle.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:42 AM   #12
jm29henry

I agree with Marty in Ohio even car from 60 70 & 80 need to find there level as long as she is not over heating giver her a chance
jm29henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:59 AM   #13
JOHN CT

You can't fill the radiator to the top 1- you don't have a over flow tank , so you need room for expansion when water gets hot it expands !
JOHN CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 11:35 AM   #14
bobpo1

I am almost positive that I have a little too much fluid and I will drain a bit out once the engine is warmed up. I will also check for daubers in the overflow tube. Thanks for the "Rapid Response".
Old 02-07-2016, 11:44 AM   #15
bobpo1

I have to tell you however, that little Model A is a real PIP to drive, even when it's spraying some radiator fluid out the radiator. Just to take "Miss Tillie" to MacDonalds in our little rural town to the "Old Timers Coffee Clutch" and watch the looks she get makes it all worth while....

Thanks again
Old 02-07-2016, 12:28 PM   #16
1Tudoor

I recently added a water temp gauge to my tudoor as knowing real temps up front can avert a disaster & as well help understand radiator levels & overflows .
If the rural roads here weren't thick w/ salt , I'd be out putzing around enjoying the A or one of my street rods .
1Tudoor is offline   Reply With Quote