Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-27-2021, 08:31 AM   #1
ronn

Default optima battery prices............

so I just sold my rpu and with it went my 2013 optima 6 volt battery-still going strong.

I need to replace it, but see them for over 300. on the bay and amazon is around 225. more then I want to pay.

so back to pricing, where can I get a half decent 6 volt battery wo breaking the bank?
I am in NJ PA NY and DE areas.......so please keep that in mind. A place in the midwest wont help, unless they ship.
would love to have another optima or two, but not paying over 200.00

did see some for around 100. at tractor supply- are they any good?
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 08:36 AM   #2
Utopia Texas

Default Re: optima battery prices............

Tractor supply is fine but look at the production date stickers on the side and pick a fresh one at the back of the row.
Utopia Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 08:37 AM   #3
Patrick L.

Yep. Thats what I get whenever I need one. Last one was about 10 years ago.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 09:15 AM   #4
wmarcy528

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BAT7...pressionRank=1

Also, the Optima batttery is only a few dollars more at $196.72.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wmarcy528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 09:27 AM   #5
ModelAMike1930

Check Pep Boys thats where I got my optima battery. It was on sale at the time. And yes it was a 6 volt battery.
ModelAMike1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 09:29 AM   #6
rotorwrench

The best way to get a wet cell battery is in a dry charge state. They have to be serviced with electrolyte and top charged but at least they will last a full life. A battery that has already been serviced needs to be used immediately. Unfortunately, a lot of sources for wet cell batteries service them and then let them set on the shelf for too long.
rotorwrench is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 11:25 AM   #7
ronn

was just reading that the optima batteries on amazon are factory refurbished...........

not so good!
Old 09-27-2021, 11:28 AM   #8
Jeff/Illinois

Scotty Kilmer the YouTube mechanic had a video on this in 2019 about Optima batteries and he said their quality now is garbage, since they sent production to Mexico, and in his opinion today they aren't worth it. They are junk.

Ten years ago definitely, but not now.

Here's a link to it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKo5iJ2rH7o

You do what you want. My brother-in-law bought one two years ago for his Dodge Super Bee and it is shot now , and they won't do anything about it. They don't stand behind them anymore.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 11:54 AM   #9
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Jim Cannon put me on to something that has proven to be factual. Most any good quality 6v lead-acid battery will last just as long as the older Optima would providing they are kept on a Battery Tender that is equipped with a Desulfator when not in use. Electrolyte levels need to be monitored but that is part of regular maintenance.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 12:11 PM   #10
alexiskai

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Jim Cannon put me on to something that has proven to be factual. Most any good quality 6v lead-acid battery will last just as long as the older Optima would providing they are kept on a Battery Tender that is equipped with a Desulfator when not in use. Electrolyte levels need to be monitored but that is part of regular maintenance.
This is where I'm at as well, no more Optimas for me.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 12:25 PM   #11
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
was just reading that the optima batteries on amazon are factory refurbished...........

not so good!
Was that from a reliable source?
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 01:28 PM   #12
ronn

the source was one of the reviews, who had one go bad in 3 months. he then called the dealer and was told it was a refurbished one and Amazon also confirmed that.

so there you go. optima is out.

thanks for that info Brent. now where do you buy a "desulficator" battery tender of sorts? lol
Old 09-27-2021, 01:52 PM   #13
alexiskai

Quote:
now where do you buy a "desulficator" battery tender of sorts? lol
AutoZone has these at some stores. Good basic tender/desulfator.
https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-a...ger/606157_0_0
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 02:37 PM   #14
Gold Digger

Looks like some company would start making the dry cell type batteries besides Optima. I've had some bad Optima's also. I like the dry type because of no corrosion and can be turned over and still want leak and works fine that way. I try and not ever turn one over. Is there some reason another company don't make these? Is there some kind of patent rights still on them?
Gold Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 03:06 PM   #15
GPierce

Those are not dry cell batteries as such, they are AGM (absorbed glass mat). They are lead acid batteries but sealed. I use them in my airplane. They typically are good for eight years.
Goggle AGM 6 volt or 12 volt battery. Which ever one you need.
https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/56...YaAjdEEALw_wcB

Here is what use in my airplane. https://www.batterymart.com/p-hawker...0aArl9EALw_wcB

Won’t fit your battery box? Just lay it on its side. In a Piper Super Cub they just attach to the plywood floor laying on its side.

Last edited by GPierce; 09-27-2021 at 03:13 PM.
GPierce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 03:19 PM   #16
ronn

I just went out and bought a tractor supply battery. price was ok at 100. but only has a 1 yr guarantee. I am expecting it will prob last just one yr.......

saw pep boys has optimas for 187. but who knows what they are and pep boys by me never has anything in stock.

not that many choices out there. Walmart used to carry a 6 volt. dont see that anymore.
Old 09-27-2021, 03:36 PM   #17
Oldgearz

You all are sure tough on Optima! I have a redtop that came with the car and it is a great battery. I just checked on Summit Racing and I believe they are $224 plus freight. I checked the ratings (119) and the overall rating 4.75 (not shabby) and there were only 3 ratings of the 119 below 4 stars. This doesn't square with what I just read here. Just another view with some actual supporting data.
Oldgearz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 05:37 PM   #18
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
I just went out and bought a tractor supply battery. price was ok at 100. but only has a 1 yr guarantee. I am expecting it will prob last just one yr.......
Ronn we have a Tractor Supply near us and I find their prices are bit on the high side.

We also have Farm King and Farm and Fleet and they stock all sorts of 6V batteries for all the older farm equipment still running around here. I bought one new at Farm King about two years ago for 49 bucks for the Roadster. They had been $39 and just went up.

The battery I was replacing was a Farm King 6V battery. It was about 8 years old. Using Tom Wesenberg's EVR and popping a Battery Tender on it once a month in the off season makes a world of difference. That battery still worked fine, I just thought I'd pop a new one in. The guy at Farm King did a load test on it (why I don't know) and he said 'This battery is fine, you sure you want a new one?' I said yes. He told me 'OK. I'm taking this one home for Dad to use'!!

I have a de-sulfator for a 12V Mustang we have and it works fine, never found one for a 6V yet I guess I never looked hard enough. The present set up works so well!
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 06:30 PM   #19
eagle

Quote:

saw pep boys has optimas for 187. but who knows what they are and pep boys by me never has anything in stock.

not that many choices out there. Walmart used to carry a 6 volt. dont see that anymore.
Prices for tractor batteries have went up substantially. The last one I bought was $39.99 a few years ago, now they are $64.99. If you take care of your battery it will last for 10+ years unless it is defective. https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/far...t=6v%20battery
Old 09-27-2021, 07:44 PM   #20
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Please tell me more about these Desulphators. Are they connected to the mains power supply? We are 220-240 volts so if they are, I won't be able to buy one from over there.
Currently, I keep mine topped up with a solar powered tender but I have a couple of batteries that are showing signs of sulphation. Will one of these jiggers reverse existing sulphation?
I'm all ears!