Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-15-2018, 11:34 AM   #1
Juergen

Default ford 39-48 emergency cable conduits

I used to buy these conduits from a small business vendor but can't find him anymore. Does anyone make/sell these conduits anymore?
Juergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 12:15 PM   #2
Karl Wolf

Default Re: ford 39-48 emergency cable conduits

This came up a while back, try the search function. Some one had a good solution for this.

Karl
Karl Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 12:25 PM   #3
Tony, NY

See: https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=232971
Tony, NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 12:26 PM   #4
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juergen View Post
I used to buy these conduits from a small business vendor but can't find him anymore. Does anyone make/sell these conduits anymore?
I responded with this same reply on your post on the Early Ford V-8 Club website last night:

Check with Richard or Dennis Lacy, Early V8 Garage in Covina, Ca. A large part of their business is providing hydraulic brake conversion components for early Fords.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:22 AM   #5
Juergen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
I responded with this same reply on your post on the Early Ford V-8 Club website last night:

Check with Richard or Dennis Lacy, Early V8 Garage in Covina, Ca. A large part of their business is providing hydraulic brake conversion components for early Fords.
John, First let me apologize for not thanking you for the suggestion. It was appreciated. I looked at their web site and it did not have any suggestion as to backing plates or repair. But they did have a spot for questions, so I sent them a message and they did not respond. As you were the only one who responded on the V8 web site, I turned to the Fordbarn.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:26 AM   #6
Juergen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony, NY View Post
Thanks, Tony. You made it easy. I see Clings wants $16 for each conduit and McMaster Carr sells a 3 foot tubing for $9. With the suggestions shown, I thought I'd try to make several myself.

I tried Google searching for 1/2 inch tubing and got nowhere (except for some malware). Thanks for this site.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:40 AM   #7
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
John, First let me apologize for not thanking you for the suggestion. It was appreciated. I looked at their web site and it did not have any suggestion as to backing plates or repair. But they did have a spot for questions, so I sent them a message and they did not respond. As you were the only one who responded on the V8 web site, I turned to the Fordbarn.
Juergen, no need for an apology. Maybe this item is not covered on their website. You might try calling them on this.
Someone posted on an older thread that they bought these tubes from C&G, but I'm not sure they still carry these.
Some years ago, I made a couple sets of these conduits using some 1/2" steel tubing and brazed them in place on the rear backing plates. This was not that difficult to do and worked very well. I found several old threads here explaining details on how this was done. A quick search should bring these up.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
Old 01-16-2018, 11:15 AM   #8
mrfliboy

Here is how I handled it
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showp...3&postcount=24
mrfliboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 12:45 PM   #9
Tony, NY

Quote:
Thanks, Tony. You made it easy. I see Clings wants $16 for each conduit and McMaster Carr sells a 3 foot tubing for $9. With the suggestions shown, I thought I'd try to make several myself.

I tried Google searching for 1/2 inch tubing and got nowhere (except for some malware). Thanks for this site.
I bought 1/2" tubing from either Home Depot or Tractor Supply (can't remember which).
Tony, NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 02:46 PM   #10
JM 35 Sedan

Just Googled and found two sources pretty quickly. Here's one possibility. Buy on line at $0.25/inch:

http://www.speedymetals.com/pc-3411-...teel-tube.aspx

Old 01-16-2018, 04:18 PM   #11
Mart

For what it's worth, in case the idea may be of use to anybody, I was able to simulate the rubber boots (to a certain extent at least) with some heat shrink tube. It was big enough (just) to slightly stretch over the end of the tube, but when fully shrunk did not grip tight on the cable. I reused an old cable, the boots were gone. I had a new cable bought a few years ago and the boots had split already. The quality of the rubber is nowhere near good enough.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote