Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-16-2017, 04:30 PM   #1
Keith True

Default A different steering damper

I took this steering damper off a car a few years ago when I fixed the owners front end problems.It looks like the others,but this one clamps to the tie rod and the four spring arms just ride in the recess in the rear of the axle.It just slides back and forth as you steer.The other picture is of the common one,that one bolts to the axle and the looped ends of the springs slide along the tie rod.Both actually did the job they were supposed to,but is a little hard on fancy painted parts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (43.7 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (43.0 KB, 43 views)
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:14 PM   #2
hardtimes

Default Re: A different steering damper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith True View Post
I took this steering damper off a car a few years ago when I fixed the owners front end problems.It looks like the others,but this one clamps to the tie rod and the four spring arms just ride in the recess in the rear of the axle.It just slides back and forth as you steer.The other picture is of the common one,that one bolts to the axle and the looped ends of the springs slide along the tie rod.Both actually did the job they were supposed to,but is a little hard on fancy painted parts.
Hey Keith,
I think that this 'damper' could be used either way. Mine looked same and it was fastened to the axle via the clamp.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:51 PM   #3
Keith True

Default Re: A different steering damper

The one on the left in my pictures has no loop on the end of the springs to ride on the tie rod end.Those four open pointy ends ride in rear of the axle.the Also,the clamp on that one fits the tie rod perfectly.The one on the right has those loops on the springs that slide on the tie rod perfectly.The clamp on that one fits on either the top or bottom flange of the axle perfectly.They do the exact same thing,but the fixed part on one is on the axle and the fixed end on the other goes on the tie rod.One is stamped Apco,the other has markings but I haven"t cleaned it off to look yet.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote