Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-26-2023, 11:14 PM   #1
johndduvall

Default Tight Fit in My 1929 Roadster

It's difficult getting in and out of my '29 Roadster. I'm 5'-9" and weigh 170 lbs but it's still a struggle. Maybe my seat cushions are too large? From the bottom of my steering wheel to the bottom seat cushion is only 6". From the seatback cushion to the bottom of the steering wheel is 12.5". Are these typical Roadster dimensions? Seems like other models afford the driver more room.

Thanks!

John D.
johndduvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 11:49 PM   #2
DKnapp

Default Re: Tight Fit in My 1929 Roadster

John, We just had the same problem trying to fit my 6' 1" grandson in our '29 Business Coupe. Not only did he have trouble getting in, once in his knees hit the steering wheel and he could not operate the clutch or brake.
We took the seat riser and backrest support out and moved them back 3 inches. Had to bend down 3 inches of the package tray and cut the rumble floor pan to make this move.
I am not sure you can do this with a Roadster, but watch for an article on this in THE RESTORER magazine, soon I hope.
DKnapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 12:35 AM   #3
johndduvall

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKnapp View Post
John, We just had the same problem trying to fit my 6' 1" grandson in our '29 Business Coupe. Not only did he have trouble getting in, once in his knees hit the steering wheel and he could not operate the clutch or brake.
We took the seat riser and backrest support out and moved them back 3 inches. Had to bend down 3 inches of the package tray and cut the rumble floor pan to make this move.
I am not sure you can do this with a Roadster, but watch for an article on this in THE RESTORER magazine, soon I hope.
Wow! Guess I will remain happily cramped.

Thanks for the info!

John Dl
Old 01-27-2023, 04:06 AM   #4
ronn

why some choose 30-31 as they have a little more room.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 06:45 AM   #5
springerpete

Nice avatar John. Some room can be made by rebuilding the wood frame and back rest support and moving it back. This will also allow the seat cushion to be moved back a bit with a wood spacer used to keep it rearward. Spacer goes in front of the cushion. 6" clearance sounds like you have a seat cushion that is not stock. Bill
springerpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 07:40 AM   #6
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndduvall View Post
It's difficult getting in and out of my '29 Roadster. I'm 5'-9" and weigh 170 lbs but it's still a struggle. Maybe my seat cushions are too large? From the bottom of my steering wheel to the bottom seat cushion is only 6". From the seatback cushion to the bottom of the steering wheel is 12.5". Are these typical Roadster dimensions? Seems like other models afford the driver more room.

Thanks!

John D.
Not really. While not a lot more, the steering wheel to seat cushion should be almost 7 inches with the steering wheel to backrest about 13¼ inches. With that said, I suspect it is more about your procedure than anything. I am a few inches taller than you (-and about 50# heavier ), and I can quickly get in/out of my '29 Phaeton (-or a roadster or open cab pick-up) if need be, albeit granted, not as quickly as my Ford SUV. Your last sentence is accurate however.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 12:34 PM   #7
Step-down

See Attach home made job . Based on budget and money there’s plenty of options .
Just some plywood and foam . Moved the stock base back 5” . Keep both OEM springs .
I’m 6-1” and can finally enjoy driving with my bad back .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 04E3421A-207E-4CB8-8C10-B3F0C12E07C2.jpg (33.0 KB, 49 views)
Old 01-27-2023, 01:07 PM   #8
Raaf

I'm 6'3" and 200 lbs w/ '29 Roadster.

They key for me is to slide in backwards, with legs towards the running board, swing the legs around under the wheel and I'm in. That said, based on the clearance to the wheel that you pointed out, even having a phone or something in my pocket stops me from making it in.

I'll eventually pull out the base and switch to a Glide seat mounted to the floor and pushed back a few inches.
Raaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 02:09 PM   #9
johndduvall

Quote:
Originally Posted by springerpete View Post
Nice avatar John. Some room can be made by rebuilding the wood frame and back rest support and moving it back. This will also allow the seat cushion to be moved back a bit with a wood spacer used to keep it rearward. Spacer goes in front of the cushion. 6" clearance sounds like you have a seat cushion that is not stock. Bill
Bill, my seat does look large compared to other '29 Roadster photos.

Thanks!

John D.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Seat back.jpg (36.2 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Seat bottom.jpg (29.7 KB, 23 views)
Old 01-29-2023, 01:18 AM   #10
JohninKuranda

I had the same issue with my 1928 Phaeton. When it came time to re-upholster the front seat, I tied some wire between the springs - in effect part compressing them where I sat in the drivers position. Then re-upholstered. Both the seat and the back. Upside - combined, these two modifications gave me extra space of a few inches that made ingress and egress heaps easier. And the springs were not compressed so much as to interfere with the visual of the seat to any great extent. Downside, slightly less bounce in the seat due to the seat spring compression.
JohninKuranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 11:38 AM   #11
Jeff/Illinois

Yes the '28's and '29's are a snug fit. The Roadster pickups from those two years are worse yet!

John whatever you do don't pull yourself in by the steering wheel. Make a habit out of not even touching it. You will loosen the steering column connection at the bottom of the gas tank and it will start to weep gasoline. You probably already know that

We have a '30 Dlx. Roadster. I'm 6'6" and 215 lbs. I can slide in and out without too much trouble with the top up. I slip my right leg in first, scootch in then pull my left leg in last.

Our '29 Tudor was easier to get in and out of by far. An early Ford V-8 is a breeze it is even easier. I hop in and out of the '36 Ford and don't even think about it. Huge difference from an early Model A Roadster.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 12:11 PM   #12
Tacoma Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndduvall View Post
Bill, my seat does look large compared to other '29 Roadster photos.

Thanks!

John D.
MMM Only my opinion: who ever did the upholstery did a great job on tailoring. However it looks to have a bit too much underpadding be it foam or cotton. My guess is foam. There should be a bit of a taper from front to back. You may want to look up some factory pics. Your seat appears to be about 1.75 inches too high. Just a thought.
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 12:36 PM   #13
Bob C

This might help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28-29-roadster.jpg (53.5 KB, 17 views)
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote