Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-02-2022, 10:34 AM   #1
qmdv

Default Rear main seal leaks

I have about 25 miles on a fresh 59AB build in a 32 High Boy. The rear main seal or rear pan gasket leaks like really bad. After a ten mile drive I get a puddle about 18 inches diameter. I pulled the engine and trans to remove the LZ gears and install 28 tooth gears in the transmission.

So as long as the engine is out I pulled the oil pan and found nothing wrong with with pan gaskets. So is there a way to pull crank without removing rods and pistons. By putting it all at top dead center is this going to work.

Tim
qmdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 10:42 AM   #2
Bored&Stroked

Default Re: Rear main seal leaks

I'm sure one could try, but maybe you don't need to actually pull the crank, maybe you can pull the main caps and "lift it up" a bit at the rear and rotate the seal plate out? I've not done this before, but I'm just sitting here at my keyboard pondering. If that doesn't seem like it is going to work, you really haven't lost much time - just throw the caps back on and do a complete tear down.

Would be interesting to know what the actual problem is once you get things torn down - has to be something quite obvious once you get into it. It almost sounds like you don't have a rear main seal at all?
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 12:58 PM   #3
tubman

I think I have an old Motors Manual that shows a little "T"-shaped thing-a-ma-jig that fits into the oil hole in the crank and pushes a bad seal out. A new seal is the inserted using a device that looks like the old Chinese "Finger Handcuffs". I think it helps to have the main caps loose.

I'll see if I can find it again.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 12:58 PM   #4
qmdv

I think I will make up a pre oiler and put oil with pressure at the rear of the engine and see if the oil is really leaking from the rear seal
Old 10-02-2022, 01:03 PM   #5
cadillac512

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmdv View Post
I have about 25 miles on a fresh 59AB build in a 32 High Boy. The rear main seal or rear pan gasket leaks like really bad. After a ten mile drive I get a puddle about 18 inches diameter. I pulled the engine and trans to remove the LZ gears and install 28 tooth gears in the transmission.

So as long as the engine is out I pulled the oil pan and found nothing wrong with with pan gaskets. So is there a way to pull crank without removing rods and pistons. By putting it all at top dead center is this going to work.

Tim

Yes. I've done it many times on various engines and don't see why it won't work on your 59AB. You won't be at TDC...the crank will need to be rotated after removing the accessible rod caps and pushing the rods/pistons up near the heads...then you can remove the remaining caps and do the same with those pistons.

Terry

'41 Merc Town Sedan / 260" 8CM engine
'66 Fairlane four door / "warmed up" 302
cadillac512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 01:24 PM   #6
Ggmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmdv View Post

Tim
Make sure its not coming from the rear cam cover . Check that first
Ggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 01:34 PM   #7
Mart

I recently removed a crank and swapped in another crank without removing rods and pistons.
The T shaped tool is for removing upper bearing half, not the seal. There is no hole in the crank by the seal. I used something similar recently to remove upper rear main shell.
If removing and refitting the crank suspend it on a hoist. I did it recently and had it near vertical. I used shrink tube (unshrinked) over the rod and main studs to protect the crank.
You can get six of the rod caps off without moving the crank. Then move it slightly one way to get one off and slightly the other way to get the last one off.
If you have the timing cover off it makes it easier to align the marks. Align the marks before removal.
I have video of the job but it needs editing up before release.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 01:39 PM   #8
tubman

Yup, Mart. You're right; the thing I was thinking of was to remove bearing shells, not seals. I think they may have driven a sheet metal screw into the seal to pull it out. Or maybe there was a special tool. I think I'm right about the "Chinese Handcuffs", though.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 01:59 PM   #9
Anteek29

The other name for the Chinese Handcuffs tool is "Sneaky Pete".
1955 Victoria
Anteek29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 05:31 PM   #10
Bob C

I had one like the Chinese finger puzzle KD492.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KD492.jpg (19.1 KB, 30 views)
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 06:14 PM   #11
RKS.PA

I've replaced the rear main seal by removing the pan in my '47 and dropping the rear main cap. Also, be sure to check the cork gasket that "knife"edge of the pan seals against the rear of the block. (That's the area where the cotter key drain keeps the oil from getting to the clutch.) I had to touch up the edge of pan to ensure a uniform contact with the cork seal.
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 06:22 PM   #12
Jack E/NJ

>>>I pulled the oil pan and found nothing wrong with with pan gaskets.>>>

Are you sure? There's a cork/rubber composite pan gasket --- encircled but apparently not shown in the VanPelt image below. It can get twisted out of the U-shaped pan edge when assembled. Creates a big leak.

As I recall, I used a neoprene rubber gasket for this U-shaped pan area. And used 3M contact cement to keep it in place on the mating surface on the block.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg panrear.jpg (60.1 KB, 290 views)
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 07:06 PM   #13
qmdv

I am recalling the conversation that I had with the guy that put the engine together. He said that after the pan was installed he realized that he could not install the flywheel. So he pulled the pan, installed the flywheel, then added lots of silicone and then put the pan back on. Could be what the problem is. Think I will pull the rear main to inspect the main seal as long as it is this far apart.
Old 10-02-2022, 07:24 PM   #14
RKS.PA

Maybe your problem isn't the rear main seal???
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 07:48 PM   #15
aussie merc

just a curiosity question are you using the original rear bearing cap or aftermarket [so called ] billet cap have seen these with out the seal drain hole or it so under size it may as well not be there . Without it any bearing splash will build up and just hydraulic past the seal
aussie merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 01:05 PM   #16
qmdv

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie merc View Post
just a curiosity question are you using the original rear bearing cap or aftermarket [so called ] billet cap have seen these with out the seal drain hole or it so under size it may as well not be there . Without it any bearing splash will build up and just hydraulic past the seal
Original
Old 10-04-2022, 08:46 AM   #17
hotcoupe

I had a problem like this in the recent past, fresh engine, big oil leak at the rear, i thought it was a rear main seal. It turned out to be something else. The oil pump idler gear cover was the problem. I don't remember all the details, but the cover that I assembled the engine with did not completely cover the opening on the block. Different cover, new gasket, end of problem.
Hope this helps,
Tom
hotcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 09:48 PM   #18
qmdv

So to give an update on my huge oil leak. I remember that the guy that put the engine together almost three years ago complained that he could not install the flywheel with the pan on so he had to pull the pan , install flywheel then reinstall the pan using gaskets over. So when I had the engine and trans out to change gears in the trans I removed the pan and reinstalled with new pan gaskets and was very careful. Wala, problem fixed. I am so happy
Old 01-26-2023, 09:59 PM   #19
B-O-B

gmdv THANKS for the solution to your problem. Lot of posters do not & leave us all wondering.
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote