Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-26-2023, 03:33 AM   #1
aussie merc

Default alloy repairs

just out of curiosity as has anyone used this low heat alloy solder thats all over the net supposed to have a 400c melting point ,and what results and where did you use it . I was thinking of using it on heads around the water jacket holes to repair minor corrosion , not in the flame contact areas.
aussie merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 10:57 AM   #2
tubman

Default Re: alloy repairs

Years ago, I used it to repair a cracked pot metal headlight bezel on a '68 Corvette I had. It worked amazingly well. A few years later, I tried to repair something else (I can't remember what now), and had no success. I think it's a matter of the alloys from the part being repaired and the solder being compatible. (Translation? Try it and see how lucky you are.)
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 02:28 PM   #3
Ronnieroadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie merc View Post
just out of curiosity as has anyone used this low heat alloy solder thats all over the net supposed to have a 400c melting point ,and what results and where did you use it . I was thinking of using it on heads around the water jacket holes to repair minor corrosion , not in the flame contact areas.

When ever there's a salesman at an event selling the low heat aluminum solder there always using the bottom of an aluminum soda can to show how easy it is to use. Buyer beware I decided to try it on a head and actually bought some of this stuff from the crafty salesman. Here's what I discovered.

There's two problems we run into when trying to use this to repair heads. First the mass of the head soaks up the heat so its impossible to get the head hot enough using a propane torch to actually melt the solder. Next the corrosion no matter how well its cleaned creates a problem with the low temp stuff actually melting and sticking to the damaged area. A lot of heat is needed to get this to work propane is not hot enough when trying to repair heavy material. I gave up trying to get the low temp solder to work on heads I have had limited success sticking some thin aluminum together.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 02:32 PM   #4
51 MERC-CT

Have used Muggy weld Super alloy 1 to repair pot metal cracks and pitting with excellent results.
You will have to use the correct product to repair what ever you are working on.

https://www.muggyweld.com/?gclid=EAI...SAAEgKqNfD_BwE
Old 02-05-2023, 10:31 PM   #5
Model "A" Fords

I used Muggy Weld to repair two pot metal window winder handles. Just followed Muggy Welds videos' and their other information and it worked out great.
The downside is when Zinc was used for parts a lot of junk got dumped in with it over time and became inferior mystery metal. if you don't know what is in the pot then pot metal is a good name for it.
My repairs held up but the pot metal gave way in other areas not associated with the repair.
I presume pot metal is like playing the lottery. Some times you win. Muggy weld was fun to work with and looked great. Unfortunately I didn't win the lottery.
Model "A" Fords is offline   Reply With Quote