Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-24-2023, 11:08 AM   #1
Lamar Wadsworth

Default Just out of curiousity

I know that '41 was the first year that all Ford cars had two taillights from the factory. On '40 and earlier, Deluxes had two taillights, but Standards had a single taillight on the driver's side with a passenger side taillight being optional (unless the car was sold new in a state that required two taillights as some states did by the late '30s). Now the question: What was the first year that all Ford trucks got two taillights from the factory? I'm thinking some time in the '50s. I used to have a second series '55 Chevy pickup that originally belonged to the Georgia State Highway Department. The passenger side taillight on it was an add-on that didn't match the original on the driver side, and it had an add-on turn signal setup. What was the first year that all Ford cars got turn signals as original equipment? First year that all Ford trucks came from the factory with turn signals?
Lamar Wadsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 11:32 AM   #2
mcgarrett

Default Re: Just out of curiousity

As far as Ford passenger cars, turn signals were available in 1949, but I believe they would have been a Ford manufactured dealer installed accessory. Don't have the answer about two tail lights on the trucks. I had an original '53 Ford standard 1/2 ton pickup that came with only one tail light. Someone here on the Barn will know.
mcgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 11:47 AM   #3
tubman

I have a related question that has always bothered me. I have the carbon copy of the original invoice for my '51 Custom club coupe. It clearly shows "Directional Signals" as a $20 option. However, the turn signals and indicator lights are obviously built into the car. I have an original Ford accessory booklet that lists both "Turn Signals - Standard Transmission" and "Turn Signals - Automatic Transmission".

I have never seen or heard of a '51 Ford without turn signals. Has anyone out there seen this? How about you guys with "DeLuxe" cars?
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 12:31 PM   #4
Lamar Wadsworth

I've seen a '54 Plymouth with an add-on turn signal switch.
Lamar Wadsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 12:33 PM   #5
flathead48

In NY State signal lights were mandatory in 1951, don’t know if it was a federal transportation law or just a NY State law.
flathead48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 08:22 PM   #6
RalphG

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
I have a related question that has always bothered me..

I have never seen or heard of a '51 Ford without turn signals. Has anyone out there seen this? How about you guys with "DeLuxe" cars?
My 52 Merc came without turn signals. You can see the blank in the left side of the steering column where the lever would go and there are indicators in the dash where they would blink if the car did have the optional turn signals. The 53 parts Merc I bought does have the factory turn signals.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Merc steering.jpg (41.7 KB, 450 views)
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 08:29 PM   #7
paul2748

Only a guess, but by 51 most buyers may have ordered signal lights. So Ford built the cars for the lights, even if not installed. Probably saved money this way as they did not have to keep in stock two different wiring harnesses. And if a customer that bought a car w/o them decided to have the dealer install them, it was easier. In addition, as Flathead 48 mentioned, certain states required them so installing a harness with them on all cars was the easy way to go.

Quote:
I have a related question that has always bothered me. I have the carbon copy of the original invoice for my '51 Custom club coupe. It clearly shows "Directional Signals" as a $20 option. However, the turn signals and indicator lights are obviously built into the car. I have an original Ford accessory booklet that lists both "Turn Signals - Standard Transmission" and "Turn Signals - Automatic Transmission".

paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 09:25 PM   #8
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphG View Post
My 52 Merc came without turn signals. You can see the blank in the left side of the steering column where the lever would go and there are indicators in the dash where they would blink if the car did have the optional turn signals. The 53 parts Merc I bought does have the factory turn signals.

This, because your Merc was built in Canada, maybe???

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 09:26 PM   #9
Lawson Cox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamar Wadsworth View Post
I've seen a '54 Plymouth with an add-on turn signal switch.
Hey Lamar, you knew my brother, and you and I have met, so maybe you will get the humor out of this.

What does a 54 Plymouth have to do with the topic at hand??? LOL

Lawson

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 10:02 PM   #10
RalphG

Quote:
Originally Posted by petehoovie View Post
This, because your Merc was built in Canada, maybe???
Yes, mine is definitely a Canadian built Merc but according to this U.S. printed 53 manual the signal lights were still an extra cost option.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0208.jpg (50.5 KB, 403 views)
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 01:13 AM   #11
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphG View Post
Yes, mine is definitely a Canadian built Merc but according to this U.S. printed 53 manual the signal lights were still an extra cost option.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 04:28 AM   #12
flatford8

Quote:

My ‘51 Deluxe came without signals. I don’t remember if the wiring harness had signal connections or not. I have a couple steering columns from ‘51 automatics and they have the signal arm in the column, not just a clamp-on switch assembly.........Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 05:44 AM   #13
mercman from oz

1952 Ford Accessories - Turn Indicator
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 05:48 AM   #14
mercman from oz

1953 Ford Accessories - Turn Indicator
Old 01-25-2023, 05:53 AM   #15
mercman from oz

1953 Ford Accessory - Turn Indicator
Old 01-25-2023, 10:43 PM   #16
52flthed

But the OP is asking when dual tail lamps and turn signals came out standard on all trucks from the factory, not as accessories.
Dual Tail Lamps I would guess 1957; with the integrated in box design. Turn signals; Im not sure but would say maybe not until the 60's?
52flthed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 07:18 PM   #17
acchaplin

In '53 just about 100% of the 'cars' had a left and right tail and brake lights. '49-'52 Chevy Station Wagons only had one center tail-brake light. It folded down when the tailgate was lowered. The upscale Pontiac and Olds Wagons had the center tail brake light, but also had the '39 Chevy teardrop style tail lights mounted high like the '39 Chevys did.
However, trucks didnt get two tail-brake lights until '55.
Some vehicles (low end cars and most trucks) left the factory with with the "add on" style turn signals, to save on changing steering columns.
Beginning in very late '56, the ICC, and each state's Highway Safety Program 'required' ALL vehicles to have a left and right tail-brake, lights and a self canceling turn signals as 'standard' equipmenmt.
Mr. Wadsworth. Your 2nd series '55 Chevy PU probably had it's original right taillight tore off, (since 'state' vehicles are treated badly) and 'whatever was handy' was installed.
acchaplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 08:59 PM   #18
38 coupe

My understanding is 1959 was the last year you could buy a new Ford truck with one tail light, but I could be off a year or two.
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 11:10 PM   #19
Ross F-1

Pretty sure from '53-on the trucks came with turn signals and dual tail/brake lights as standard. They were optional on 49-52's but were not the type that is integrated into the steering wheel. Aside from the SignalStat type, there was a Ford optional type that strapped onto the column and had a rubber wheel that ran against the back of the wheel and provided the cancelling function. '51-'52's had the green arrows in the speedo and places for lamps behind them.
Old 02-03-2023, 09:11 PM   #20
38 coupe

Ford put provision for turn signal bulbs in the dash before turn signals became standard. I don't know when turn signals were installed in all Fords, but my 53 sedan came from the factory without them and a 55 F-100 my dad owned came from the factory without them too.
The 1957 Ford truck brochure lists turn signals and the passenger side tail light as options / accessories: http://oldcarbrochures.org/United%20...cks-14-15.html
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote