Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-01-2014, 04:45 PM   #21
ericr

Default Re: Reproducing the KRW Tool Cabinet

this might be a dumb question, but exactly what would be the use of the cabinet especially with the discussion regarding unique hooks. I assume the hooks were designed for specific tools, which few of us have. If for general tool storage, I hate to sound negative, but I might question the sellability of a cabinet designed for special tools to car owners versus Craftsman-type rolling cabinets with drawers, dividers, etc.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 05:13 PM   #22
Rowdy
BANNED

Honestly if you do not collect KRW tools, I can not think that it would be desirable or useful. There are a good number of us who do collect them or are a member of a club who has the tools for members to use. Chances are if I make some there will be a club or two that want one. I do not expect that I will over time sell more than 20. Hoping I am wrong on that, but that is a realistic number based on my interaction with other collectors. Rod
Old 10-01-2014, 07:23 PM   #23
larrys40

Default Re: Reproducing theKRW Tool Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy View Post
Plywood is out of the question. However the dimensions of lumber used is no longer sold. So I will have to join some 1X12's etc to get the widths needed. The hooks are going to be the sticky point. Based on the small number of these that will be wanted based on what I am seeing with this thread it would be unreasonable to contract with a foundry to have them made in cast iron. Likely would have to cast them in bronze in the shop to keep costs inline with the price to keep it sellable. If I thought I would sell 100+ of them having them made of cast iron. Rod

Rod,

Just a couple of thoughts.... I think it's a neat concept.. and as a KRW junkie it might be nifty to have.. would love one but not sure where I'd put it. I have most of mine on the pegboard wall and other areas.. and quite honestly don't have room for a big floor cabinet. How much do you think one would cost..... just ballpark. 1K? As you noted the circle is pretty small on these.. and I think your 20 number is where it's at or less.

One of our local members who is a jeweler who cast and makes things, cast many of the small parts in the Hubley style Model A assembly line that our group did in the Museum. He's made some really nice stuff low production. I believe he makes wax molds, like a pattern maker and then cast them in various metals. I know from working with fountain fixtures when I was younger cast bronze is actually very strong if I remember. Just a thought.. and a possible resource if you need one.

Let us know if you have a ball park for the cost. That may make or break... either way I applaud you for the possibility of taking it on.

Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:44 PM   #24
Rowdy
BANNED

I do not have all of the numbers yet, but $850 to $1000 each. This may change as I get more hard numbers. Also if anyone has one that is unrestored and not heavily painted over like mine was. I need to know if there was a KRW logo anywhere on the cabinet? All of the pic's I have seen only show the cabinet with the doors open. If there was a logo I will have to check to see if there is a copyright on the logo and what it will take to use it. Rod
Old 10-03-2014, 01:10 AM   #25
KR500

Rowdy, Any idea of who was original supplier of the cabinets to Wilson? I doubt with his specialty being in the casting and forgings he would involve himself in the carpentry racket as well. I know Aurora or Equipto in Aurora, Il. was a supplier of parts bins, benches, and some storage cabinets
KR500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 07:03 AM   #26
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
What would be the chances of supplying molds and have tem poured the same time as a bigger job. Tod and the blocks, heads, come to mind.

just thinking out loud.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:54 AM   #27
mshmodela

Quote:
Here are some pic's, more can be seem in my picture album. Thanks Rod
Love the wooden Cabinet.. Reminds me of my Father's wooden tool box he made in the 1940s and I have... Good luck with your project and thank you for sharing this story.

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 08:09 AM   #28
Rowdy
BANNED

Tod and I are already in contact. I Started getting more pic's and hard numbers of each on Wednesday. Life interrupted this effort. Will likely finish Tuesday on my next day off. Since mine is missing 5 or 6' I have to refer to pic's sent to me of the one on display in the muesem. I am grateful to have them, but running back and forth from the shop to the computer it was getting confusing to make an accurate count. I am doing it different now and it is going much smoother. Should have a hard price within 2 weeks. Then it will be a matter of seeing how many want one (so far no one has said so) initially and scaring up some funding for the first 5 or so. With the med bills I am still widdeling down it will be tight to get them started. Rod

Last edited by Rowdy; 10-03-2014 at 11:00 AM.
Rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 08:19 AM   #29
Rowdy
BANNED

I seen no clue when refinishing mine as to who made it. Seen possible glimpses to a couple of logos but could not tell if either was KRW, Lions, Equipto or Arora. Has anyone seen any logos on an unrestored cabinet? Mine was painted over atleast 4 times. Rod
Old 10-04-2014, 09:26 AM   #30
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

This may also be another lead,

http://www.cpm-industries.com/short-...-castings.html
Old 10-04-2014, 12:17 PM   #31
Rowdy
BANNED

Thanks Mike, will check it out. Rod
Old 10-04-2014, 12:42 PM   #32
Jim Mason

Have you considered selling measured drawings and castings? It would keep shipping costs down and eliminate the 'its the wrong material' etc. I'd like one but don't know with the cost of shipping...
Old 10-04-2014, 01:57 PM   #33
Rowdy
BANNED

I have considered it, but as was pointed out by Brent about the wood kits being sold, how long before you see a knock off of your hard work on ebay or for sale somewhere else made of cheaper materials or just being sold cheaper? Although KRW tools are a passion of mine equal to Model A's, and I am content just to own one of these, the bottom line is I need to make this profitable to help catch up the med bills. Living with garnishments etc from Jessic's illness and just monitoring my cancer while it is still in remission is expensive and I simply can not keep up or seem to make enough progess in catching up.

Here are the bigger questions:
1: How much do you or others think a kit as you discribe would actually sell for? 33 hooks, 9 full size paper templates and 8 or 9 drawings with dimensions?

2: How many would actually buy the kit?

Rod

Last edited by Rowdy; 10-04-2014 at 02:41 PM.
Old 10-04-2014, 03:07 PM   #34
Jim Mason

1/4 scale drawings on security paper and a full set of castings would be the way I'd go. Price is difficult to say...it would have to low enough to deter copying but still profitable on the paper...casting i would think cost plus twenty percent? Im willing to buy the plans with out the castings...and the castings at a future date...
Old 10-04-2014, 03:19 PM   #35
Rowdy
BANNED

The reason for the full scale templates for the doors and afew other panels would be for the holes for the dowls on the back of the hooks. As you can see the cast in dowls on the back of the hooks are relatively precise and keep the hooks from turning. I suppose most could suffer through making the holes by making an impression, removing the hooks and drilling the inpression. Rod
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IM000965.jpg (65.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IM000966.jpg (25.2 KB, 15 views)
Old 10-04-2014, 03:48 PM   #36
ericr

Rod, I know this is out of line so apologies in advance, but if you chose to make something, there have been remarks in the Barn that the hobby could use alternative body block craftsmen...or perhaps not enough of a volume market exists for that?
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 09:07 PM   #37
Marvin/TN

Send a message via AIM to Marvin/TN

Easy to find some one with a saw mill, Wood Mizer, is one brand of small end portable saw mill. You can check with the Wood Mizer company and they will give you a name of someone local. Next problem is drying the wood, to have wood dried in a kiln isn't practical to have done in small batches. it has to be same thickness and species of wood. But it can be air dried, but it take one year per inch of thickness to dry it. I guess you could always (maybe) find wood that is dry and thicker than needed and have it planed down to the proper thickness or buy a thickness/surface planer and do it your self but it still has to be dried before planing and using it.
Marvin/TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 12:28 PM   #38
Rowdy
BANNED

Seems to me there are already several body wood makers that make the body blocks. Quality and fit often are an issue, but most of us are used to that with repop parts. What particurally are the issues you have that you think there needs to be a new supplier? I may have missed the posts you are referring to.

This is not something I plan to do long term. My shop is too small to be set up for on a continious basis. Make ten to twenty of these over the course of the winter, clean the saw dust up, move the saws etc back to the farm and get back to mechanical endevors. Rod

Last edited by Rowdy; 10-05-2014 at 01:29 PM.
Old 10-05-2014, 01:15 PM   #39
Rowdy
BANNED

Actually I doubt here on the high plains I would have access to a quality supplier of a product or service like that. I am leaning more towards a custom mill elsewhere. I know a highly skilled woodworker close by it that can help insure I am getting what I want so there will be no mix ups. He is also going to hand select the wood I am going to need for the delivery as soon as I get some workable plans to make a list from. Thanks Rod
Old 10-05-2014, 10:53 PM   #40
Fourd

Quote:
Actually I doubt here on the high plains I would have access to a quality supplier of a product or service like that. I am leaning more towards a custom mill elsewhere. I know a highly skilled woodworker close by it that can help insure I am getting what I want so there will be no mix ups. He is also going to hand select the wood I am going to need for the delivery as soon as I get some workable plans to make a list from. Thanks Rod
Cool idea and I don't have a single KRW tool but if I had a cabinet I would be driven to fill it. I can assist with the wood if you give me some dimensions and more pictures. If I cannot supply it I will find a supplier for you. My lumber yard is in Denver CO. Email me if you would like my assistance [email protected]
Fourd is offline   Reply With Quote