Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-18-2017, 09:18 PM   #1
fordlovr

Default Brakes

Hi All, will 39-48 ford backing plates and hubs fit a Model A??? I'm sure there are lots of if's and but's!! many thanks
fordlovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 09:56 PM   #2
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: Brakes

Yes with a few minor modifications. Search the archives here, on ahooga.com and on HAMB. You probably won't want to use the hubs since their bolt pattern is 5 on 10 1/4 (the "wide five") but the '39 backing plates are useable with the later hubs. When you use the hydraulic drums and wire wheels you will need adapters (see http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...=1#post1286293)

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 03:01 AM   #3
Randy in ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordlovr View Post
Hi All, will 39-48 ford backing plates and hubs fit a Model A??? I'm sure there are lots of if's and but's!! many thanks

The 1939-48 (hydraulic brake) backing plates will not fit onto the Model A spindles without modification. The 4 mounting holes are spaced differently and the large middle opening is also a different size.
Randy in ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:50 AM   #4
larrys40

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordlovr View Post

Yes, but honestly if you want good brakes just restore the stock system. Yes it cost a chunk but then possible not as the early hydraulic setups bring a hefty sum.

The stock system restored properly can stop on a dime. Going to hydraulics is actually a step backward on an "A". The Model A just doesn't lend itself to hydraulics well without all the modifications.. and then if you don't drive it frequently the problems of a hydraulic system not used frequently. Mechanical's you don't have that issue.

People think mechanical brakes are terrible and that is because they are all worn out and not restored and adjusted properly. Funny that they don't say the same thing about hydraulics when they don't work well.

Read the previous thread posts search under hydraulic conversion
All the best!
Larry
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 09:20 AM   #5
Bob Bidonde

Having installed Flathead Ted's Brake Kit onto my latest Model "A" restoration, I say the brakes are equal to or better in stopping performance than hydraulic brakes. Why? Because Flathead Ted's kit allows the brake shoes to find the center of the drums when the bakes are applied. Thus the braking contact area is significantly increased over the stock Ford brakes.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:32 AM   #6
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob bidonde View Post
having installed flathead ted's brake kit onto my latest model "a" restoration, i say the brakes are equal to or better in stopping performance than hydraulic brakes. Why? Because flathead ted's kit allows the brake shoes to find the center of the drums when the bakes are applied. Thus the braking contact area is significantly increased over the stock ford brakes.
x2!
Old 03-19-2017, 12:33 PM   #7
fordlovr

Thanks to everyone, that pretty well answers the question, cheers
fordlovr is offline   Reply With Quote