Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-18-2016, 09:31 PM   #1
frank55a

Default Barners Selling Parts Beware

Barners Selling Parts Beware

For you Barners selling parts on the Swap Meet page or for that matter anywhere on the internet a word of caution, BEWARE. There are scammers out to collect big bucks from you.This is a twist on an old scam. A "person" says they are interested in an item you have listed, after a dialog is established (first clue) the language or wording just does not feel right;(second clue) they say don't worry about shipping they will have their mover or agent pick up the item; (third clue) they sent payment, when payment arrives it is several times the asking price and they will tell you their secretary or clerk improperly made out the check; (fourth clue) then they will say deduct payment plus some given amount for your trouble, both times it was an extra $100and give the difference to the person picking up the item.Both times that I was targeted the payment was over 10 times what I was asking for the item. Both times I smelled a RAT from almost the beginning. I have contacted the FTC and the FBI and was told these scammers are very active and further DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CASH THE CHECK! This is why I am extremely cautious about accepting anything other than a USPS Money Order.Hope this helps and none of you get burned.
frank55a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:35 PM   #2
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.
Default Re: Barners Selling Parts Beware

This scam has been active for years! Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:37 PM   #3
gypsycandle

Thanks for the heads up frank, appreciated.
Michael...
gypsycandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:47 PM   #4
Pickupman

This is nothing new. This type of scam has been going on for years.
Pickupman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:52 PM   #5
Utopia Texas

I only buy, sell and swap parts on different sites with people who have posted and answered questions on the forums. A scammer is not going to bother being a regular member on a forum just to scam one or two folks. I know this cuts out some purchases but so be it....
Utopia Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 10:26 PM   #6
Tom Wesenberg

I've heard money orders and certified bank checks have also been a scam, so beware of them also.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 10:33 PM   #7
aonemarine

Frank sooner or later you will have something I need, then I will want a 20% discount on it and free delivery.....But I do pay cash and its a short drive for delivery
aonemarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 10:43 PM   #8
RonC

They are forged checks on good stolen bank accounts. They clear but weeks later they kick back as forged and your bank where you cashed it comes after you for the money. Banks will tell you even bank checks can clear and later come back forged
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 11:02 PM   #9
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I've heard money orders and certified bank checks have also been a scam, so beware of them also.
yea they can be faked too.

Cash is and has always been king. - i do realize this isn't always feasable when dealing with distances farther than driveable.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:24 PM   #10
Dave Mellor NJ

In the real world anybody would try to negotiate the price down and they certainly wouldn't make the mistake of overpaying. Supposedly they found out the subordinate made a big mistake in your favor but they made no effort to stop it or have you send it back. You wonder how could anybody fall for it but I guess they do.
Dave Mellor NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 12:41 AM   #11
700rpm

I walked my scammer around the block for about a month, asking questions, making promises, and essentially just playing his game back on him. I kept records of all our correspondence, and didn't cash the check. Towards the end of the month he was asking if I was ever going to do that and send him the item. At that point I blocked his emails and handed all the evidence over to my bank, which then took over the case. They have the legal muscle and procedures to pursue this stuff to the federal level. I found out later they did just that, and caught and prosecuted the guy, who in this case happened to be American, not foreign.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 07:39 AM   #12
Steve_Mack_CT

Ray that is a great story! Good for you.

Another car site I am on requires anyone posting an item for sale to have participated in the discussion forum with at least 10 posts, which helps weed out the scammers on the other end at least. But is has moderators with the time to enforce and I am not sure the Barn has that luxury. (Still, it goes both ways, I got screwed big time on a brass light for my speedster on another Ford forum - thanks Larry in TN if you see this - pics were perfectly done to show a nice unit AND hide the massive old damage to the part, paid $250 for a $75 item at best.) I put 50% of the blame on myself for taking him at his word. Distance buying is always chancy but dealing with regulars really cuts down the risk.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:56 AM   #13
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mellor NJ View Post
In the real world anybody would try to negotiate the price down and they certainly wouldn't make the mistake of overpaying. Supposedly they found out the subordinate made a big mistake in your favor but they made no effort to stop it or have you send it back. You wonder how could anybody fall for it but I guess they do.
They call it being gullible and naive. Wayne
Old 05-19-2016, 07:59 AM   #14
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
I walked my scammer around the block for about a month, asking questions, making promises, and essentially just playing his game back on him. I kept records of all our correspondence, and didn't cash the check. Towards the end of the month he was asking if I was ever going to do that and send him the item. At that point I blocked his emails and handed all the evidence over to my bank, which then took over the case. They have the legal muscle and procedures to pursue this stuff to the federal level. I found out later they did just that, and caught and prosecuted the guy, who in this case happened to be American, not foreign.
While playing detective you exposed yourself to email viruses as well as exposing your personal identify and address. Not a wise move in my opinion. Wayne
Old 05-19-2016, 08:23 AM   #15
Colonel Biggs

Default Barners Selling Parts Beware

A very timely post! I have advertised my '30 Sport Coupe with MARC. I have been contacted by an individual who is willing to pay full price - just send him my name/address, etc., and he will have the car picked up. He will not respond to my questions concerning who he is, where he is, or to where is the car to be shipped.

If someone is legitimately purchasing a car from a distance, and if cashier's checks and USPS money orders have been known to be forged, how does one complete the transaction? One could use a wire transfer, but that would entail divulging your bank account info to the supposed buyer.
Colonel Biggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 08:43 AM   #16
Terry, NJ

Cash is king! However. Our "President" had no objections to raising our natl.Debt to $19Tr. Since this debt is incurred with the Federal Reserve to borrow cash, where is all that money?We've doubled the the amount of cash in circulation, yet it's not trickling down. Duh!! Scratching my head in frustration!
Terri
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 09:23 AM   #17
old31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Biggs View Post
A very timely post! I have advertised my '30 Sport Coupe with MARC. I have been contacted by an individual who is willing to pay full price - just send him my name/address, etc., and he will have the car picked up. He will not respond to my questions concerning who he is, where he is, or to where is the car to be shipped.

If someone is legitimately purchasing a car from a distance, and if cashier's checks and USPS money orders have been known to be forged, how does one complete the transaction? One could use a wire transfer, but that would entail divulging your bank account info to the supposed buyer.
Many times I have given the address of my closest police station. I will meet the buyer at the police station. Usually the buyer will look up the address and ask why the police station. I clearly state that they don't know me, and I don't know them, so it is a safe place for both parties to meet.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 09:47 AM   #18
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSlugs View Post
yea they can be faked too.

Cash is and has always been king. .

WHOA Hoss!!!! That doesn't stand anymore with the new $20.00 bill coming out!!!!! Don't get yourself caught up in this new PC crap going around............... Have to be special careful what you say, how you say it and who you say it to.............

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 10:30 AM   #19
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 Model A View Post
WHOA Hoss!!!! That doesn't stand anymore with the new $20.00 bill coming out!!!!! Don't get yourself caught up in this new PC crap going around............... Have to be special careful what you say, how you say it and who you say it to.............
PC............doesn't that stand for Political Corruption?
I don't like the idea of the new $20 either.

We need to go back to the gold standard, then we can buy Model A parts and cars safely by trading in gold and silver.
Lets see the government print new gold bars.
Actually I've mailed and received cash at times and never had a problem. On a car purchase I always use cash and do it in person.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 10:49 AM   #20
frank55a

A little additional info. With the first case, when I contacted the FBI the agent informed me that NO checks or money orders were safe, including USPS Money Orders. Ironically a couple days later I did receive a USPS Money Order for only $14 it was stamped in red "NOT VALID FOR GREATER THAN $50". When I took it in to the PO the clerk said that was the first time she saw that on a USPS MO, however she told me two days before there was a post office memo that said the window clerks can no longer cash USPS MOs for greater than $50, they must have the local Post Master's approval in order to be cashed. Last week I had a USPS MO for just over $50, it had to be approved and took about 10 minutes, I assume the Post Master did a search on the MO serial number to verify it was good prior to approval.

I am not sure how trust worthy cash is. In our area, if you pay cash at the store all bills $5 and above get swiped with the pen. May have to start carrying one of those pens to the swap meets when I sell parts.

For those that are selling big ticket items (such as, a car), you may want to check with your bank about setting up a one use wire transfer account where the bank is the middle man and holds the funds until the transaction is complete. This way neither you nor the buyer needs to carry large sums of cash and you do not have to provide your personal account information to the buyer.
frank55a is offline   Reply With Quote