Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-25-2021, 09:37 PM   #41
petehoovie

Default Re: Covid excuse to play hookey

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Unscrewed the caps and pulled the dark green lenses. Could see pretty well after that.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 08:54 PM   #42
GB SISSON

Well, there is just no stopping me... front clip/fenders on and so far spent the Memorial Day weekend building running board brackets and boards for my jalopy. I have been cutting old stuff up for patch panels and going through stacks of cuttoff wheels with the grit and sparks.... I sold my boat last weekend and since it was a sought after 'classic' it started a bidding war. Got way more than enough extra to buy a plasma cutter, just fron the extra part. Been researching plasma cutters tonight. OH wait I haven't uploaded the pics yet.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 09:29 PM   #43
GB SISSON

Some pics....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GI can cut up.jpg (140.3 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg GI can fender.jpg (119.3 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Memorial day sheet metal.jpg (150.5 KB, 49 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 05-30-2021, 09:31 PM   #44
Tinker

Such a great picture dude!

Pete got banned again... farts. Hope he is okayed back soonish.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2021-05-30 at 9.31.26 PM.jpg (18.1 KB, 8 views)
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 09:53 PM   #45
GB SISSON

What a shame he got banned. He actually has a sense of humor. Many others here also do, but not all.....
Old 05-30-2021, 09:58 PM   #46
cas3

Oh my god.. the horror! sacrificing a GI gas can... hope it wasn't a ww2 date on it! Just kidding GB, you're creativity is a model of perfection. carry on private
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 09:59 PM   #47
Tinker

Humor is a projection of self reflection. Like art, Some don't agree. but.. I don't know the reason.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 10:04 PM   #48
GB SISSON

An old friend brought me 3 GI cans her dad used all through her childhood. Two were good and this one showed pinholes when looking at the sun. The other two are used for drain oil befor I take it to the recycle shed at the dump. No serial number I saw, but a 'US' stamping.
Old 05-30-2021, 10:07 PM   #49
cas3

Usually they are dated...on the bottom if I remember
Old 05-30-2021, 10:19 PM   #50
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
Usually they are dated...on the bottom if I remember
I can see it now.... Dec 7 1941 or June 6 1944..... I will look in the morning
Old 05-31-2021, 05:25 PM   #51
flatford8

Is that duct tape on your shirt sleeve????......are you sure you ain’t from over here??????....... Mark..from way over here!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg BAB12BD7-07EC-4442-B6EF-57D8EF370D99.jpeg (28.8 KB, 27 views)
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 10:57 PM   #52
GB SISSON

There wasn't enough wool left on the cuff to accept stitches for a button. I sort of am from 'over there'. My folks were born in New Bedford Ma and Mattapoisett Ma. They moved to Seattle in '47 and when I was 14 in '67 my dad moved the family back East. I worked in a boatyard on Mt Desert Island after HS and soon after found my way back to my home state of Washington. There are a bunch of Sissons in SE Mass and Rhode Island, mostly inland. My Dad always said we were 'Swamp Yankees'.....Perhaps that's why I NEVER throw anything away.
Old 05-31-2021, 11:20 PM   #53
cas3

Whats wrong with duct tape? probably more comfortable than using a rubber bungi cord for a belt on pants that want to fall off...of coarse, i dont know anyone who would do that...
Old 06-01-2021, 05:32 PM   #54
flatford8

My point was, that's a coat and jacket repair that is seen around here 8 months a year.....Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 09:39 AM   #55
GB SISSON

The date was in '52, been two days now so I forget day and month. I cut up an old school locker door for the other side fender extension. The GI can didn't yield enough metal for two. The tape was a huge improvement over the flapping cuff. It's Gorrilla Tape and it makes pretty good upholstery too.
Old 06-21-2021, 09:56 PM   #56
GB SISSON

Tonight we took an excursion out to an old resort on the island. It was hot for us like 85! We drove about 35 mph , but 45 on the straightaways. So far the fuel tank is an old galvanized 5 gal gas can with pickup tube soldered into the pour spout. We only ran out of gas once, and my wife's son was on his way home from a logging operation and he had a couple gallons of chainsaw mix which got us to the gas station. What are the chances? I have made up a cardboard mockup of a roadster type V windshield that will be the next project. I still have less than 2 grand into my 4wd RPU and it is a lot of bang for the buck. Sometimes I don't want a windshield.......The last two pics are us underway at high speed!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ros 1.jpg (157.6 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg ros 2.jpg (189.9 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg ros 3.jpg (129.1 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg Ros 4.jpg (55.2 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg Ros 6.jpg (51.7 KB, 53 views)
Old 06-22-2021, 01:05 AM   #57
cas3

Some guys get to have all the fun! "sometimes I dont want a windshield" totally agree, why not a fold down like your wife's fj40, or a jeep?
Old 06-22-2021, 11:53 PM   #58
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
Some guys get to have all the fun! "sometimes I dont want a windshield" totally agree, why not a fold down like your wife's fj40, or a jeep?
Leaning that way..... As for the gas tank I have been working on the 17 gal that fits between the frame rails.... This pic is why I tend to run out... Picture it, 12 miles to the closest gas statiion. So 24 mile round trip... Tank is half done. With the hot weather we keep going out to cool off. The island is 75 sq miles and two gas stations.. Do the math, we are gonna run out again.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5 gal gas tank.jpg (114.4 KB, 28 views)
Old 06-24-2021, 09:34 AM   #59
slowforty

if there is a junkyard around. try a tank from an aerostar ford minivan, the tank is plastic and has a fuel pump in it. holds about 15 gallons
slowforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 10:00 AM   #60
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowforty View Post
if there is a junkyard around. try a tank from an aerostar ford minivan, the tank is plastic and has a fuel pump in it. holds about 15 gallons

Thanks, but I have a 17 gallon aluminum tank already. It fits between the frame rails but I'm thinking of a wooden box at the front of the bed. This would also give me some storage space for tools etc. Then I'd put the spare in it's original place under the bed. There is a factory chain hoist mechanism there. My tank has 3 male flare fittings, a sender and a fill cap. In my research I have determined the 3 fittings are called 8an fittings. I have ordered 90 degree fittings to hose.