Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-05-2011, 09:23 PM   #21
pat in Santa Cruz

Default Re: Tires on 16 Inch Wheels

my 35 Ford wheels are tubeless. I had them mounted professionally by the dealer who had a machine that expanded the tire over the rim without touching the rim, so the powder coat was untouched. I have seen Kelseys with a thick smear of silicone inside the center to seal the spokes, and then mounted tubeless with success.
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:49 AM   #22
A-Jay

Exclamation Re: Tires on 16 Inch Wheels

I have been shopping the web tire sites, and it looks like the 215-75-16" is limited and is most of the time a SUV/truck type of tire. Plenty of 215-70-16" but they are smaller than the original diameter 19". Hankook had only one in 215-75-16" I think.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:13 AM   #23
thebanjoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
You should be able to mount them the model A way. JMO
Paul in CT
This has been a very informative thread. I pick my 16" wheels up from the powdercoater next Saturday, along with my 'blasted' body. and will be looking for tires eventually.

Now to search on the 'Model A Way' to mount them as I don't want new powdercoat anywhere near a tire machine. I should be able to use them tubeless as the powdercoating should give a good seal but will more than likely add tubes.

Maybe.. One day...
thebanjoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:01 PM   #24
A-Jay

Banjoman, Check out the link below, or search (tire advice) by PA Joe 12/20/10 I had asked the same question a while back.

martiquesresto.com
Old 03-06-2011, 06:23 PM   #25
john in illinois

modern tires are a lot stiffer than model A tires. Good luck puting them on by hand. A good tire shop can mount the tire with the machine arm not touching the rim. My powdercoat rims never had a mark. They do routinely mount very expensive alloy rims with out scratches.
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:47 PM   #26
mickeyb

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
these are real close to 21s
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 162923_471676438026_586108026_5876454_7586759_n.jpg (88.1 KB, 90 views)
mickeyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:08 AM   #27
Bill Lee/Virginia

It is raining today on the Virginia Peninsula and I cannot test drive my car. P215/70R16 tires call for 44 psi. Is this too much pressure and will it ride too hard? What tire pressure do you recommend? Thanks in advance.
Bill Lee
Bill Lee/Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:43 AM   #28
1931 flamingo

35? You may have to experiment, let us know.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:48 AM   #29
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Jay View Post
Thanks guys for all the great info, BUT how are these different tires mounted on the 35 16" rims ? are they still done the model A way - trash bag, baby power, mayo way or now are we using tire machine or what? Thanks again!
The tire machines will bend any of the wire wheels.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:36 PM   #30
hotrodA

Just a small tech point, but there is a difference in the bead between a modern tubeless tire and a tube type tire. The angle is different between the toe and heel of the bead, and the rim has the corresponding angle at the bead seat.

The tubeless radial will run cooler than a tube type bias without having the tube generating heat inside the tire.

Probably insignificant to most A's running, though.
hotrodA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:39 PM   #31
JerseyJim

I was in the tire and wheel business as radials began to make their appearance in the American market. If you are old enough to recall, you probably remember that Michelin marketed their tires in the US through Sears. Later Michelins became an option on Fords. By the early 70's, virtually all American manufacturers either used them as standard equipment or offered them as an option.

I frequently read in these posts that the bead is different on radials and they are designed for a different style rim. This is an urban legend of sorts. The wheels on models sold with radials or without during those years were the exact same wheels. The only difference in common steel wheels back in those days other than bolt patterns was the width of the wheel and that related of course to tire width not type.

I would be the first to agree that early radials were a problem on some cars. The early radials rode very hard. Some car makers started promoting their cars as having so-called radial tuned suspensions. But as I now install modern radials on older cars, I haven't personally experienced any problems related to handling or suspensions. Technology has certainly advanced in the years since then and I'm sure improvements in construction and tread compounds are responsible for the much better ride and handling that these tires now provide.

A good article on the use of radials on older cars can be found here:

http://www.businessweek.com/autos/co...504_512529.htm
JerseyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:35 PM   #32
CA Victoria

I have used the Coker Classic Radials 600x16 on my 35 (3000lbs) and it rides and drives very nicely.
I've decided to use my Kelsey Hayes 16" wheels for my Model A , while researching available tires I have run across at least one statement cautioning against using radials on old cars/wheels. Does anyone have any information to back up these claims? Seems like an isolated incident with the number of radials in use on our oldies? A-Jay, I'd check out the cars at the local coffee shop Saturday morning to see what they are running.....If you wern't so darn far away you could take mine for a drive.
CA Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 06:51 AM   #33
sturgis 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lee/Virginia View Post
Do I need tubes with radial tires? Do I need tubes with modern bias tires? If so, waht type and what size should I purchase for 1935 spoked 16 inch rims? Thanks in advance for your info and advice.
Bill Lee/Virginia Peninsula
I am glad you thanked me in advance for giving you the correct answer.Now I will not have to check the thread for a thank you. Coker tire sells tubes and they will tell you the part number. I run tubes in all of the old Ford wheels. I think it is safer and I am not sure the wheels were designed to hold air.

You are welcome.

Do not get me started on the stupidity of ethanol. I think one of the monitors is from Iowa and he will delete the thread.
sturgis 39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 03:02 PM   #34
Bill Lee/Virginia

Default Thanks and Followup Report: Tires on 16 Inch Wheels

Many thanks to each and everyone of you who gave me input and advice of changing the tires and looks of my Cabriolet. I put 16 inch 215/70R16 blackwall Dunlop radial tires on my Cabriolet after using 19 inch whitewall tires since 1992. The 16 inch wheels/tires lowered my car at least 2 inches and it looks more like a hotrod than a Model "A". I experimented with tire pressures from 32 to 40 psi and ended up with 35 psi in the rear and 32 psi in the front for the best ride. The car steers very hard at stops and slow turns. It steers good at 45 mph. I will put the shortened pitman arm on the car when the suppliers get them in stock. I am not sure I like the "low hotrod look" of my car vs the taller 19 inch whitewalls but I am going to use it this summer and see if I change my mind.
Bill Lee/Virginia Peninsula
Bill Lee/Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote