Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-29-2021, 12:03 PM   #21
nkaminar

Default Re: What the H??? My new bakelite upper distributor body/shell is misaligned??

It appears to me that the whole distributor is rotated. Is the pin not seated in the head or that pin mis-located? Or the hole in the head not drilled in the proper location?
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 12:05 PM   #22
Rob Doe

Default Re: What the H??? My new bakelite upper distributor body/shell is misaligned??

HOORAY! I have news. Start the drum rolls. And the answer is: The lower distributor casting is off. Apparently, the index pin hole was drilled or cast in the wrong position. I have a friend that is a life-long T and A man. He brought an old distributor by this morning. I removed mine and put his in. (a few seconds) I put the upper bakelite body on and voila, the spark plug contacts are parallel with the block!
Old 04-29-2021, 12:07 PM   #23
Rob Doe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkaminar View Post
It appears to me that the whole distributor is rotated. Is the pin not seated in the head or that pin mis-located? Or the hole in the head not drilled in the proper location?

You nailed it. And the old distributor proves that one of your choices or perhaps all are right on.
Old 04-29-2021, 12:17 PM   #24
Rob Doe

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetracer View Post
I looked at 3 of my Model A engines in cars. My 31 pickup and my 29 sedan had pins parallel to the engine side. My 30 phaeton was canted like Rob's engine, but maybe not so seriously. All three cars run very well and I am not sure of why the one is canted. I will check a couple cars when I take them out of storage. I am wondering if some distributors are just made slightly off true.The distributor bodys are aftermarket or NORS that I picked up at swap meets. I cannot wait until this is resolved.

Thanks for your contribution.

I intend to follow through with my main line vendor as a result of your post. I will offer to send them the faulty casting to prevent their rebuilding any of these and sending them out. Please note, that the problem with my ADV/RETD rod slightly touching a head nut appears to be eliminated with the old distributor and correct positioning. And the brass connectors will flow smoothly from plug to distributor without ugly permanent bends.
Old 04-29-2021, 01:51 PM   #25
Bill G

With a new distributor base in, you will need to re-time it, but you probably already know that.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote