Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-21-2012, 09:06 PM   #1
jagalyn

Default Need Help with 32 Steering Box

I have a new old stock 32 steering box with a brand new sector and worm gear. I've tried to follow the adjustment instructions from the 32 service manual but have excessive play in the steering when going straight ahead. At the same time, my steering is very stiff at top dead center and loosens up as I turn either direction. At this point I need someone with experience to guide me with what my problem is and how to adjust for it? Any old timers with great experience willing to share a little knowledge with a green horn like me? Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you.
Jeff
jagalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:30 PM   #2
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: Need Help with 32 Steering Box

Jeff,

I want to be sure I understand what you are saying. With the steering in the center it is stiff but has excessive play? Are you sure the play is coming from the steering box? The steering is supposed to loosen up as you go off of top dead center as when you are off of top dead center the car will try to straighten out as you drive and this force will eliminate the slop.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:46 PM   #3
Andy

Is the steering on the hard spot when going ahead and the steering is still loose? Your play has to be in the steering linkage or the king pins and wheel bearings. There will be no play in the steering box when it is tight on the center.
The funny thing with the screw driver slot at the bottom of the sector housing will actually change where the hard spot is in relation to the steering shaft. The splines on the sector shoud be straight up toward the worm and the key on the shaft up when all is centered.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:56 PM   #4
David J

Steering box ABC - Did you set the preload on the worm bearings with the sector gear removed ? Did you set the end play on the sector gear with the worm-shaft removed ? I go with a very slight drag on the steering shaft if stuff is new & end play on the sector gear is set to just detectable play . The actual adjustment on the sector housing is for adjusting tooth engagement only . I go with no play-no binding at centered position . This is done with S.A.E. 140 in the box as you are done after this last adjustment . I would guess this would be about .005 or so without lube . As already stated steering is meant to be a tick looser the further you turn . If you have play at centered position & your steering is stiff you need to adjust the preload on the worm bearings . Gaskets on the top are how this is done . Like already questioned make sure it's the box - disconnect the draglink to eliminate everything else . Pretty simple stuff & remenber to take the brass tube out { if using one } during any work as you will DESTROY it if you take the box apart without taking it out .

Last edited by David J; 05-21-2012 at 10:57 PM. Reason: fergot stuff
David J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:26 PM   #5
DavidG

I've found that the service bulletin instructions are pretty much complete and accurate as long as each step is followed in the specified order (as David J has emphasized) and the sector arm is detached from the drag link. Is the free play on the sector equal at both right and left turn extremes? If not, that also is very important and covered in the bulletin instructions.

You mention that the box is NOS, but are both worm and sector gears original NOS Ford parts as opposed to new with some other, more recent origin?

Last edited by DavidG; 05-22-2012 at 12:01 AM. Reason: added word
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:15 AM   #6
Terry,OH

I don't know about the "old timer" thing!
When you make the sector to worm adjustment, note: The instructions mention the adjustment is to be made with the keyway for the steering wheel is in line with the oil fill plug. This point is not in the center of lock to lock travel it is about 1/2 turn off center. After making the adjustment moving the steering shaft 1/4 of a turn either side of the adjustment point results in play between the worm and sector. If you make the adjustment in the wrong place the steering will get excessively hard in the center before getting loose on the other side of center. How did you set the preload on the worm bearings? Are you using the B-3553 upper race or the 68-3553?
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:20 AM   #7
PeteVS

Are you sure that the front wheels are DEAD NUTS straight ahead when the steering wheel is DEAD NUTS centered? (Steering wheel spoke straight up on my car.)
Old 05-22-2012, 10:11 AM   #8
DavidG

Some late '32 steering wheels are keyed so that in dead center, one spoke is pointed straight down.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote