Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-26-2015, 11:27 PM   #1
ABento

Default 59ab

I have a chance to pick up a 59AB its all there fan to flywheel no trans,heads were off some time ago and there is no ridge,valves looked good I was told it may have little us eon an over haul, I'll most likely pull in down to check everything over,new seals,gaskets and put ti back together, I'm thinking of putting it in my late 31 A pickup and just leave everything stock,what kind of a price might there be for something like this, I was told to make an offer.

Thanks
ABento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 11:37 PM   #2
ford38v8

Default Re: 59ab

I'd say the engine should be considered as no more valuable than as a core block plus the bolt-on accessories. First question is why would a good engine be sitting unused since "some time ago' with the heads off? You may have been told this or that, but the fact is, the engine doesn't run now, and a haphazard build is as good a guess as any other.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:15 AM   #3
f1builder

you can do a pretty decent inspection to make sure there are no obvious cracks or damage and turn it over to check that out. look at the distributor points to see if they are worn. if it is in fact a good used rebuilt motor i would pay 700-800 for it as is after inspecting it. it is worth twice that at least if it is good. you can bolt on a head and check compression too. jmo.
f1builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 07:10 AM   #4
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Have it pressure tested.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:45 AM   #5
Fordestes

Remove the pan and check for cracks along the pan rails and main webs. (got bit twice on that one).
Fordestes
Fordestes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:02 AM   #6
Bored&Stroked

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
If you can, take some lacquer thinner, some good wire brushes and some paint scrapers and spend some time cleaning up around the valves and between the valves and the bores. Get it down to bare base iron and as clean as possible. Then use a really bright light and even a magnifying glass to visually inspect these areas for any signs of cracks.

Also, look at all the intake ports and intake valves - see any sign of water having sat in them?

I've found a lot of cracked engines in this manner.

Also, work a deal with the seller - if the engine checks out good at the machine shop (is a usable core), then "Price X", if it ends up being cracked and the block is bad, then maybe he gives you 1/2 the price back (meets you half way).

Option A: For a core engine like this - I'd probably pay a couple hundred bucks max! ($200 - 250). But, if he won't do the "1/2 back if it's bad deal" - then it is only worth half that to me - $100 to $125 . . . take it or leave it. This is because you have to do all the hard work to take it apart, have it cleaned, magged, pressure tested, etc.. All the risk is on you.

Option B: The only way it becomes a $500 engine to me is if he is willing to split the costs for hot tanking, magnafluxing and pressure testing. If AFTER that, it is good and he's split the costs with me, then he gets $500 . . . if it is bad, nothing.

Dale
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:08 AM   #7
ABento

Thanks Gents, I didn't realize that the 59 was as prone to cracks as the earlier 21's, I'll mention that to the seller.
The engine has been in the family for quite awhile and when my buddys dad passed away it went to him, just one of those things,he was going to put some alum heads on it and just leave it on a stand in the shop just because he can.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:12 AM   #8
19Fordy

As is, that engine is worth no more than $100.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:38 AM   #9
deuce_roadster

I agree with 19Fordy, if it was a good running engine, why were the heads off? I suspect they were looking for cracks due to water in the oil or oil in the water.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 12:16 PM   #10
Karl Wolf

I agree with the $100, only because I think that most "good running"engines removed from cars were actually removed because they were not running. More so if they were inherited.

Karl
Karl Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 03:55 PM   #11
felix37

I also agree with the above posts. I consider all flat head engines that are not running a "Pig in a poke" and never pay more than a hundred bucks.. if it checks out good, you did alright. If it doesn't, let's hope there were a few accessories that can be salvaged.
We have people coming by the Speed shop all the time trying to sell us flatheads..we have heard all the stories and our standard answer is "we will give you a hundred bucks" some say "you are you crazy" but come bye a week later asking if offer is still good.
felix37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 04:03 PM   #12
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix37 View Post
I also agree with the above posts. I consider all flat head engines that are not running a "Pig in a poke" and never pay more than a hundred bucks.. if it checks out good, you did alright. If it doesn't, let's hope there were a few accessories that can be salvaged.
Yep - because it takes about $500 of time - just to tear the damn thing apart, then hot-tanking, then magnafluxing . . . just to see IF it might be good.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 10:14 AM   #13
ABento

Looks like I got it for 350,including a brand new gasket set from Speedway.
No hurry to start this project,l'll get the motor checked over and see what I've got and then keep on collecting parts.