Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-13-2011, 09:24 AM   #1
Bob from Northport

Default Antique Engine Rebuilder complaint

This information is for those of you lookling for an engine rebuilder, or for those who have used this company's services.
We had a problem with an engine purchased from this company, one of a number with several engines. This problem involved a knocking noise in an engine installed-built by this company. We posted the probelm on Ford Barn, and looked at all the information given to us to solve the problem. As it turned out, we found a bad oil pump drive gear assembly in the engine, a part supplied to us by this company. The cam shaft was moving forward and back .040, and we watched through the access side plate on the timing cover as this was happening when the engine was running. The engine was knocking very loudly! We changed the part, and the problem disappeared.
We called Richard on several occassions, and the usual responce was it was something we had done. His answer was "to pull the engine and ship it back and he would check it." That was hard to believe. We sent the part back to him, with a small bill for the replacement and a small labor charge for all the work to solve the problem. He in turn sent the part to the manufacturer, and they advised they saw nothing wrong with the part. It was returned to us, advising it was our error. This particular part only fits one way, it can not go in otherwise. The cam movement and noise stopped when the part was removed and replaced. If they had installed the part in another engine, they might have found a different answer.
We have purchased 5 engines from him in the past few years. We have had serious vibration issues with several, and now this problem. I realize the part was not of his making. But to continually blame the purchaser for problems is too much. Arrogance at it's very best.
We have already moved engine purchases for additional engines to other builders. Enough is enough. We have over 60 years experience on these cars and engines in my garage. I know we make mistakes, and we have always managed to find the problem and fix it. I have never charged a customer for a repair that was not his fault, unless I could clearly show the fault was not ours. Simply not good business. For the price of a gear and 100.00 labor charge, his shop lost two sales, and more in the future.
If you intend on using his services, make the warrenty very clear on what you buy. If you are happy with his services, please continue to use his shop. This was just a word to the wise.

Bob Campbell
Bob's Model A Ford Garage
Old 05-13-2011, 09:33 AM   #2
48Ratfink

Default Re: Antique Engine Rebuilder complaint

Don't leave Me in suspence,,,Who are We talking about?
48Ratfink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:35 AM   #3
Bob from Northport

Antique Engine Rebuilders- Skokie, Illinois
Old 05-13-2011, 09:44 AM   #4
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Bob, I hate it for you and wish you the best in whatever direction you choose to go. I have been in similar shoes with another rebuilder (NOT Rich F's company) and know it can be stressful as you are seemingly pitted in the middle between your customer and the rebuilder. That is why I am extremely thankful for the one I am using now. Again, best wishes to you in this regard.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:48 AM   #5
48Ratfink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from Northport View Post
Antique Engine Rebuilders- Skokie, Illinois
Oh,,,I see says the blind man!!!
48Ratfink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:22 AM   #6
ldj1002

That wouldn't have happened to me. After the 2nd engine if not the 1st they wouldn't have had a chance for 6 to be bad.
ldj1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:25 PM   #7
Tom Wesenberg

Do you have any pictures or dimensions of the spring and pluger comparing it to known good parts? Was it just a bad spring, or was the pluger also bad? Do you know where the spring came from?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:51 PM   #8
Bill in NJ

Reminds me of when I was buying a rebuilt short block from him at Hershey one year and after paying him I realized the block was cracked between a water jacket. He said it was not a problem and I said your right I want my money back. He gave it back but went on about his guarantee etc etc. I think it was 90 days back then??
Bill in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:48 PM   #9
Maclab58

I purchased an engine from Rich back in January and have been very impressed with the engine and its performance. its always scary when you are dropping that much cash.
Maclab58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 05:15 PM   #10
Brian T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in NJ View Post
Reminds me of when I was buying a rebuilt short block from him at Hershey one year and after paying him I realized the block was cracked between a water jacket. He said it was not a problem and I said your right I want my money back. He gave it back but went on about his guarantee etc etc. I think it was 90 days back then??
How can anyone with a reputable engine rebuilding business over look not seeing a crack that a customer spotted?, ----- to me the first thing would be to check the block for problems before going thru all the machining and bearing work, ----- maybe an unsupervised trainee ?, who knows.
Brian T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 05:22 PM   #11
Chris Haynes

I have an engine with a visible crack in the water jacket that I have used for 30 years. Never been a problem.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 06:10 PM   #12
john in illinois

I had a problem with an engine 2 years after the warranty period. Rich was very helpful and even loaned me a tool to remove a hardened valve seat,no charge. He also sent the parts that I needed with the tool. I expected a bill,but didn't get one.I sure can't complain.

John
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 07:13 PM   #13
James Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from Northport View Post
As it turned out, we found a bad oil pump drive gear assembly in the engine, a part supplied to us by this company. The cam shaft was moving forward and back .040, and we watched through the access side plate on the timing cover as this was happening when the engine was running. The engine was knocking very loudly! We changed the part, and the problem disappeared.

Bob Campbell
Bob's Model A Ford Garage
I had one to do this once and it will make a noise like you have never heard. We observed the problem in the same way. I thought it was an oil pump problem but changed out all the parts like the oil pump, dist drive and, cam. I fixed the problem at my expense .
I did use the removed parts in different motors and had absolutely no problem with those parts in an individual position with different components.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:10 PM   #14
Calahan

BOB,Thanks for posting that information , I am currently looking for a good rebuilder myself who can update my engine,,,,,,,,,Calahan
Calahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:16 PM   #15
Tom Wesenberg

After rereading the initial problem, I see I asked the wrong question in my reply #7, but am still wondering what was the defect in the part, the oil pump drive gear?

Was it binding because it was oversized, when it should have been standard? Just need specific's so we know what to look for.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:27 PM   #16
BCCHOPIT

NO INFO...
That is way they wont the engine back so they can check every thing out. Little shit like this cant be fixed on the phone. The guys how made the parts said it was good. 80 year old engines and china made parts I would never rebuild any thing for the Joe blow's to much BS
I just have the machine work done by a pro and do the rest my self.

Get your hands dirty and do the work your self (my 2 cents)
BCCHOPIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:31 PM   #17
ford1

he said he changed the part and the noise went away
ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:39 PM   #18
5window

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCCHOPIT View Post
NO INFO...
That is way they wont the engine back so they can check every thing out. Little shit like this cant be fixed on the phone. The guys how made the parts said it was good. 80 year old engines and china made parts I would never rebuild any thing for the Joe blow's to much BS
I just have the machine work done by a pro and do the rest my self.

Get your hands dirty and do the work your self (my 2 cents)
I think you have point,but maybe you would want to read your post over before submitting it so it made sense? I get that way=why,wont=want, how=who, but this "I would never rebuild any thing for the Joe blow's to much BS" I can't translate.

I don't think anyone would be surprised if dropping in new parts on an 80 year old motor would not always result in a sweet running motor out of the box. But, if you're paying rebuild prices, I think one would expect that everything would be squared up and machined true back to original or shimmed/sleeved and machined to accept close fitting parts,then tested.
5window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 11:32 PM   #19
spike

That engine rebuilder has a pretty good track record and I have know him for a long time and he has always treated everyone fair....I wouold want more info befor I would say he was at fault for shoddy work....just my 2 cents worth...
spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 11:55 PM   #20
BCCHOPIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5window View Post
I think you have point,but maybe you would want to read your post over before submitting it so it made sense? I get that way=why,wont=want, how=who, but this "I would never rebuild any thing for the Joe blow's to much BS" I can't translate.

I don't think anyone would be surprised if dropping in new parts on an 80 year old motor would not always result in a sweet running motor out of the box. But, if you're paying rebuild prices, I think one would expect that everything would be squared up and machined true back to original or shimmed/sleeved and machined to accept close fitting parts,then tested.

Sorry the wife needed the laptop But its good to see we have a English teacher that plays with old cars. I would have liked school better if there was more gear heads teaching. I was trying to say I wouldn't wont to rebuild engines or any thing and then have to give it to the average guy (JOE BLOW) to install and hope he doesn't f@ck it up. Most engine guys have engine stands to run the engine before you pic it up. I went with a friend and the engine shop had his engine on the stand running when we got there. The engine went in the truck still warm.
If I payed big bucks for a engine and I put it in the car and it wasn't what I wanted. I would have brought it back so fast.

I was a solid D English student so I hope this was a little better for you.
Looking back I should have looked at the books more and not at the teacher's big tits

Last edited by BCCHOPIT; 05-14-2011 at 12:40 PM. Reason: spelling (thanks rmak) :-)
BCCHOPIT is offline   Reply With Quote