Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-11-2014, 11:13 AM   #1
Slowplane

Default Early Pietenpol

The cover story in this month's EAA Sport Aviation magazine (Dec. issue) features an early Pietenpol; a significant plane in the Pietenpol history. Model A engine. Owned, at one time, by Bernie P. himself. An excellent article with full history of the plane.
(I worked out of Flabob Airport in the early 80's, and there was a Corvair powered "Pete" in the hangar for a while; I've never flown one tho'.)
Slowplane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 11:47 AM   #2
cdlwingnut

Default Re: Early Pietenpol

I have flown a pietenpol, it was built in 1929 with a model A engine but has since been upgraded to a C-65 out of a cub.
cdlwingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 07:02 PM   #3
Aerocraft

That particular Pietenpol, and many others, generally make an appearance at the "Pietenpol Flyin" which is held at the Brodhead, Wisconsin airport late in July. A number of the Pietenpols at the gathering are powered by Henry's best, the Model A engine. Here is a picture of a September Brodhead Flyin last year. Look closely, you may be able to find a Pietenpol on the field.

Gar Williams
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brodhead, WI 9-6-14.jpg (76.7 KB, 56 views)
Aerocraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 08:27 PM   #4
dlfrisch

When I lived in Saratoga Springs, N.Y. (10 years ago ), I was at a get together with a bunch of aviation fellow pilots of mine and we met at a persons shop where he was building a Pietenpol. He had, at the site a reworked (rebuilt) Model B engine ready for the plane. As the story continues, my friend (a former Alaskan bush pilot) bought the plane from the elderly person/ builder and while he was on a maiden (first flight) of the Pietenpol, the “B” engine quit and he just made a safe almost inverted crashed landing back at the local Round Lake Airport, Saratoga County, N.Y. Plane was in pretty bad shape and my friend was banged up a little, but all ended A OK. The last I have heard from my pilot friend, he has supposedly sold the plane and it was being rebuilt to fly again.
dlfrisch is offline   Reply With Quote