Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-01-2012, 03:10 PM   #1
bobj49f2

Default Cracked EAB head, what to do.

I searched the forum and didn't find anything that dealt with type of crack in a head. The crack is on the outside of the head. I found this engine in an old garage behind a truck I bought. When we pulled the truck out we found it laying on it's side. The spark plugs were missing on one side and the plugs on the other side 3 of the four were broke off. I grabbed the engine just because it was a flattie. I just assumed it was junk.

I posted about this engine in another post about it being stuck but now I have another question. What would you do with this crack? Could I use JB Weld? I'd clean it up real good and grind the crack a little before using the JB Weld. How about brazing? Other than the crack the head looks to be in good condition. I don't think it's a freeze crack. When I pulled the heads, expecting the worse, I found the cylinders in really nice condition with very thin ridges. With very little work I was able to get the engine to spin over by hand, so far no indication that this engine had any freeze damage. I think the crack might have happened when it rested on it's side.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crackedflattie001.jpg (81.5 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg crackedflattie002.jpg (101.8 KB, 56 views)
bobj49f2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 03:31 PM   #2
Karl Wolf

Default Re: Cracked EAB head, what to do.

I like brazing, don't realy trust epoxy... Don't pin it- it's too thin, no support- and too long...
Grind a ditch to lay brazing in...
I would bolt the two heads together and put them in the bbq @ 400 degrees or so...

But it might be easier to find another head...

Karl
Karl Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 04:04 PM   #3
john mullen

Dont forget to drill a small hole at each end of the crack ...Prevents the crack from growing then welded/brazed
john mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 04:45 PM   #4
Mart

Would it not be easier and possibly cheaper to just find another head in serviceable condition?

They can't be that hard to find, surely??

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 05:59 PM   #5
jack orchard

Mart is right. ebay has EAB heads up for auction right now. also, don't forget the Ford Barn swap meet...jack
Old 04-01-2012, 08:25 PM   #6
bobj49f2

I don't want to stick too much into this engine. I bought it along with another flattie that came with a beat up '49 panel truck I parted out. I just know I can get more for it if it runs. I've bought some that didn't run but did turn over by hand.

If I do braze it I will give full disclosure to a potential buyer. I don't like being screwed and I don't like doing it to others. I want to be able to fire this engine up to show it runs, I also would love to hear it run for my own personal satifaction. I just don't want to spend so much fixing this engine that the price I get won't cover what I put into it.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:23 PM   #7
Ol' Ron

That's a good idea, I have 4 EAB heads and they're all for one side which I forget. Buy this might be a way to swap for a complete set. I'll go look and see which side I have. I understand a set are going for around a hundred bucks
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:24 AM   #8
bobH

If you are going to sell it, and don't want to start down the path of putting a lot into it, why not just run it to satisfy yourself & the buyer, and not do ANY fixing. So what it it seeps a little? If you are doing 'full disclosure', it's taken care of - it's cracked, and it seeps. Does that sound any worse than explaining it is cracked and you brazed it?? Either way, you can look for another head to include in the deal, or the buyer can do the looking. Like Ron, I've got EAB heads - don't know if I have the one you need. And, I'm too far away - shipping would be more than it's worth. There has to be local guys with heads. (Wish I was closer to Ron's 'pond' - in my area, I generally have to give these things away.)
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:23 AM   #9
Mike51Merc

I agree with bobH. Anyone looking to buy a flathead knows that stock heads are available and not expensive. Fixing it is a waste of time.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:40 PM   #10
Mart

If you just want to hear it run, just put the heads back on, if they didn't fall apart, put the old head gaskets back on too, why the hell not.

Crank 'er up run for 30-40 seconds and shut 'er down.

Like the spruce goose - just do enough to prove the point.

Mart.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:52 PM   #11
bobj49f2

Good points from all. I'll just get it running. I just figured some one interested would want to see that it doesn't leak any where. I figured if I sealed the head if there were other leaks they would be more visible.

Just from a unprofesional examination the engine looks really good. I would even think of keeping it but I have another flattie that came with the deal that's from a truck. I have two other trucks that I'm keeping that for a spare. I could use the money from the EAB to help fund my other projects.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:22 PM   #12
Ol' Ron

You have a problem selling this engine for any large amount of cash. A bayer might want to be sure the engine diesn't have any cracks in the block. The heads not that important.
If you have other engines take one of their heads, it doesn;t have to be an EAB head. Now you can add water to the mix and run the engine. The potential customer will like that and you can get more for it. What do you expect to gety??
Old 04-02-2012, 06:14 PM   #13
bobj49f2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
What do you expect to gety??
I haven't decided yet. A few years back I had a truck with a stuck engine and I was just about to cut it up and haul it away to the scrap yard. I had the torch out in the parking lot and I had a guy driving by stop by to ask about the flattie. I told him it was stuck. After telling about all the hot rods he built over the years with flatties he asked what I wanted for it. I told him to make me an offer and that he wouldn't offend me. I was thinking to myself $50, he offered $250. I grabbed the forklift, pulled the engine and had it waiting for him the next morning. I saw him at a swap meet the next year and asked about the engine, he told me it had no oil and was stuck solid. I reminded him he was the one to make an offer and he assured me he was happy, said he got more than $250 worth of parts for his other projects.

This was during a good economy, I don't what I'll get for a running flatting now. Any idea?
Old 04-03-2012, 05:05 AM   #14
Mart

I don't know if getting it running would help much (open to other opinions).

Any sensible buyer would not just drop it in and expect to use it. They will want to inspect it with the heads off. You could get it running (just for fun if not much else) make sure you have a video of it and then be prepared to pull the heads for a buyer.

Can't really advise on price -

Mart.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:21 AM   #15
Ol' Ron

People don't do that anymore, tomany cracked blocks out there.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:48 AM   #16
bobj49f2

I'd be prepared to pull the heads. I personally wouldn't pay much for an engine if I couldn't hear it run or at least hear it spin over to make sure there weren't any funny clunks or other funny noises. But that's just me, I guess.