Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-17-2011, 08:51 AM   #61
JunkOSC

Default Re: Antique Engine Rebuilder complaint

Did you read the entire post? Only 2 people who posted (one being the original poster) have had issues with Rich. And the second persons issue was handled professionally by Rick. So was the original poster for that matter. AER has a great building reputation and I would order a engine from Rich in a heart beat. Time to move on. Oh, good luck on finding an engine builder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C26Pinelake View Post
I was looking to have my engine rebuilt by him but you have now changed my mind and I won't go near him. Can anyone suggest someone in the Michigan / Illinois / Ohio area. Thanks Wayne

Last edited by JunkOSC; 05-17-2011 at 09:03 AM.
JunkOSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:55 AM   #62
Frank Nemo

I only know about Rich from my own experience and that is he did an excellent rebuild for me five years ago. I have read this thread from start to finish and think it is a darn shame that an engine builder's reputation, built over many years can be jeprodized by one unhappy customer, who in my opinion should have resolved the problem directly with Rich out side this public forum.
Frank Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 12:21 PM   #63
AL in NY

Frank, my thoughts exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-17-2011, 01:05 PM   #64
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
I was looking to have my engine rebuilt by him but you have now changed my mind and I won't go near him. Can anyone suggest someone in the Michigan / Illinois / Ohio area. Thanks Wayne
Wayne, I concur with others that you really should look at Rich and the services he offers. While I don't believe he offers babbitted engines any longer, he & his company still needs to be given the benefit of the doubt if you are looking to have an engine rebuilt. Maybe even discuss this with him and hear what he has to say.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 01:16 PM   #65
5window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Nemo View Post
I only know about Rich from my own experience and that is he did an excellent rebuild for me five years ago. I have read this thread from start to finish and think it is a darn shame that an engine builder's reputation, built over many years can be jeprodized by one unhappy customer, who in my opinion should have resolved the problem directly with Rich out side this public forum.
I don't have a dog in this fight-no engine rebuild and I don't know the parties.
However, let's be honest and admit that the OP DOES NOT have a problem with the work done by the builder. Once the defective part was repaired,the motor ran fine.

What there is a problem with was Customer Service, and, in this case, I think the complaint was justified. Three calls back to the builder without perceived concern and no real solution offered. That, in my opinion, is the issue. It would seem the builder makes a fine motor and when everything is right, everyone who has run one is happy. With the two customers posting here who had issues, he's batting 50-50 and that's not the best odds.
5window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 01:57 PM   #66
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5window View Post
I don't have a dog in this fight-no engine rebuild and I don't know the parties.
However, let's be honest and admit that the OP DOES NOT have a problem with the work done by the builder. Once the defective part was repaired,the motor ran fine.

What there is a problem with was Customer Service, and, in this case, I think the complaint was justified. Three calls back to the builder without perceived concern and no real solution offered. That, in my opinion, is the issue. It would seem the builder makes a fine motor and when everything is right, everyone who has run one is happy. With the two customers posting here who had issues, he's batting 50-50 and that's not the best odds.
Well, I am not sure that is accurate either. Let's say that Rich & his team are only sending out 2 engines a week, --or 100 engines annually, ...and they have been doing this for a decade now. Lets suppose that the two customers with complaints you mentioned has actually been 5 customers during this time. In actuality, that is only ½ a percent negative feedback per annum!

Folks need to realize that even the last perfect individual that walked this Earth received criticism and was crucified unjustly. The people that are manufacturing parts for you, or providing services for you are human too. As Paul Harvey made a great living telling, sometime we need to hear the rest of the story. We have heard from Bob, and while I have no reason not to believe what he is saying, many of you folks who are playin' "Judge & Jury" have not heard testimony from the other individual. Maybe that is because he feels like it is none of our business. In some ways, that may be the correct attitude to have. It also may be a situation that if the truth is analyzed fully from both sides, each side may be totally correct in their position. Then what? It used to be that the Customer was always Right, ...but in this modern society we live in, often times Customer's morals & ethics are in the gutter when they are trying to get something for nothing. I'm definately not implying this is the case for Bob, but we as businessmen have become calloused in this regard. Need additional proof, ...look at eBay and how things are mishandled there!!

I still say we need to give Rich the benefit of the doubt with our open minds and keep our mouths shut with regard to hearsay about this on things we have no personal knowledge about.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 02:05 PM   #67
Gerard

is the subject closed by now ???
Gerard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 02:36 PM   #68
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
is the subject closed by now ???
IF NOT, IT SHOULD BE!

Maybe an "AMEN" would help!
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 04:39 PM   #69
CarlG

amen !
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:10 PM   #70
Ross/Kzoo

And Amen!
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:03 PM   #71
peters180a/170b

Amen my ass [been there done that]...lets party.... anyone going to the A.A.C.A. Spring Meet in Stowe, Vermont on the 21 of May?????? see ya there...
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:22 PM   #72
Bruce Adams

Quote:

FWIW
I am just one of many Model A owners who has received a quality rebuilt long block engine from AAE, with quick responses to my questions.
I would not hesitate to purchase another engine from them.

I, for one, WOULD NOT have let what I have read in this thread be the determining factor in my engine rebuilder choice.
There are war stories with EVERY supplier.
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:50 PM   #73
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by peters180a/170b View Post
Amen my ass [been there done that]...lets party.... anyone going to the A.A.C.A. Spring Meet in Stowe, Vermont on the 21 of May?????? see ya there...
can't afford the gas are you going to macungie??
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:56 PM   #74
peters180a/170b

Mitch [God Willing] I do plan on going. afford or not i have many friends in P.A. and its always a great meet. SEE YA THERE [maybe under the tree....]
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:06 PM   #75
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by peters180a/170b View Post
Mitch [God Willing] I do plan on going. afford or not i have many friends in P.A. and its always a great meet. SEE YA THERE [maybe under the tree....]
pete okay its a date

save me a spot under that tree
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:37 PM   #76
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Your comments make good sense. In retrospect anyone can make a mistake. I will contact him to discuss this situation and the possible rebuild of my two engines.
I guess I jumped the gun and got caught up in the heat of the debate.
Thanks for bringing me back to earth.
Have a great day my friends. Wayne in Michigan
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote